WSJ article “Disney’s New Pricing Magic: More Profit From Fewer Park Visitors”

The problem with this is that they will lose some customers that annually spend more than those “once in a lifetime guests”.

How many times do you think you can tell me you don’t care about me as a loyal customer?

9 Likes

This is very sad and breaks my heart.

2 Likes

Bounceback offers were on the pamphlets in your WDW resort room prepandemic. It had a number on them to call to book your next trip while still on your current one and you got a discount on your hotel room.

3 Likes

I didn’t realize they had discontinued this. Do you know how much the discount typically was?

1 Like

I also remember at one time in POR they would have something posted on the vanity (tv inside?) during my visits.

1 Like

I’m not sure, but I think it was less than the usual passholder discounts bc I never took advantage of it.

1 Like

Yeah I used to only stay in value resorts and it was on a little table top thing in those room.

Weird how saying that just made me realize I liked my trips more when I had less money and only stayed value.

3 Likes

The bounce back hasn’t been around for years!

1 Like

these are some of our BEST family memories

but our favorite, first-no-kids-trip, was GC at DLC

2 Likes

I mean, he was involved in the decision to fire 30,000 employees in the middle of a pandemic. He’s the head of a park that has underinvested in ride capacity for 20 years, while treating the parks as revenue sources for other parts of Disney. The fandom around him is baffling.

23 Likes

According to Wikipedia, he had no choice. :roll_eyes:

On September 29, 2020 during the pandemic Disney was forced to cut 28,000 employees from its theme parks. Josh D'Amaro - Wikipedia

[Emphasis mine, and please note the eye roll.]

7 Likes

This is my biggest problem. It’s gross. People will pay it, but it’s gross. Perhaps I would feel better if they packaged it. 5 ILL$ for $50, or something like it. This seven dollars here, fifteen dollars there crap turns me off big time.

7 Likes

I sympathize, but I much prefer a la carte!

3 Likes

There could always be both.

3 Likes

I sometimes think that Chapek and D’Amaro are doing good cop, bad cop for the Disney public

5 Likes

Perhaps ILL$ would offend me less if they were a set price. The fact that the price fluctuates is cringy to me. Let’s see how much we can get from these suckers today …

9 Likes

I think I prefer a la carte, buying only what I want to and not being forced to buy 5 at a time. But I would buy it however it is packaged, as I realIy hate to wait in lines. I (obviously) don’t want to give Disney more money than I have to, but I prefer to give them more money for a better experience (versus not paying and having a less experience), and that is what Genie Plus and ILL$ provides for us. I don’t find that concept gross, with most things in this life if you pay more, you get more.

3 Likes

I see what you are saying and would feel that way if I hadn’t already paid over one hundred dollars to enter the park. And I am not trying to argue anyone else’s wants and experiences. For me personally, I find it gross.

8 Likes

Well, they lost some out of state visitors here. We have gone 3 times since 2016. Our best trips were our first 2. This last one after Thanksgiving 2021, was ok, but not as good. We used G+ one day and didn’t find it necessary. We were still not well rested, which we are fine with on a DW trip. We got up early, stayed “late”. We did not use the Genie app other than to look at some wait times, which were sometimes inflated. My kids each got one souvenir from gift cards they got from holidays and birthdays. I got one souvenir, chopsticks from Japan. DH did not get anything. We only ate snacks in Epcot and refills for our popcorn bucket (no fancy one for us). The rest of the time, we ate our own snacks we brought with us. We did eat in restaurants, but utilized our Disney Visa discount and reward dollars for most of it. We used old magic bands. We drove from PA instead of flying. It still cost an arm and a leg to go. We won’t be back any time soon.

I’m not an AP holder and I say the nickel and diming is ridiculous. DW is starting to feel like a tourist trap in some respects. Maybe it always was, but at least you were treated well while doing it. Now you are being treated like a cow. Milked for all your worth and manipulated to follow the path the Disney execs want you to go in the parks.

5 Likes

Same here, sadly. Our last trip sounds very similar to yours, except we didn’t even attempt to buy Genie + for any day. We did spend more on souvenirs, but only because we knew it would be our last trip there for a long, long time.

2 Likes