Worth it to change for CL 5 to 2 with MaxPass?

We have 4 day park hoppers with MaxPass and originally thought we’d go Aug 29-Sept 1 at DL then head down to San Diego. We could flip the trip and do San Diego first and do DL from Sept 2nd to 5th - the CLs are mainly 2s those days vs 4 or 5s if we do it first. With MaxPass and a touring plan, would it be better to do 4 full days with higher CLs (including a weekend) or 3.5 days with the lower CL during the week. No MaxPass last time we went so not sure how much of a difference that would make.

1 Like

I would go during the week and absolutely avoid the weekend.

Be aware that these CLs are not definite until about 60 days out. (Really until about 45 - 30 days) Right now they are just using historical data for 2018 / 2019.

Also, sometimes that far in advance they are just using the historical data from that calendar date and not adjusted for the day of the week.

For example, if your trip starts on a Monday, that day was probably a Sat. or Sun. in 2019. So you might see a CL10 because this year that “date” was a weekend. When they update the calendar in 2020 they’ll adjust for that date being on Monday this time.

Basically, start making your plans and seeing what TP suggests is the best plan. However, know that you’ll “real” plan won’t be ready until about 30 days out.

I love TP but any CL # that is more than 60 days out I no longer trust. Wait and see… it’ll fluctuate. TP only updates about 60 days in advance and copies & pastes the previous year’s historical info into the farther away future dates.

1 Like

You could honestly do either and be fine, but one consideration I happen to have in mind since I am going to be there that same weekend is that Star Wars Celebration Anaheim will take place August 27-30th. Thousands of Star Wars fans are congregating at the Anaheim Convention Center (just south of DCA) for fan events, meet and greets with Star Wars celebrities, etc. Most of the daytime has events lined up, but in the evening, expect an influx of convention goers at the parks.

These fans will be especially interested in visiting Galaxy’s Edge. In fact, Disneyland will close early on Thursday the 27th for a special ticketed event (Star Wars Nite) which, if it sells out quickly, I wouldn’t be surprised if they add another night or two that weekend.

But with MaxPass and a good touring plan, none of this should affect you all that much. Most of the time the convention goers will be at the convention. That said, weekdays 2-5th could be better if you don’t mind potentially missing out on evening entertainment, which often gets cut on low crowd weekdays. And park hours could be shorter, but at least it looks like you have one or two weekend days in there (but keep in mind that is Labor Day weekend, which is a relatively low crowd holiday but still a holiday). Check the crowd calendar, which has an educated guess of operating hours based on last year at the same time.

1 Like