Worried about my AK day

Random interjection - I could hug you for explaining this as though the reader is a bit of an idiot…
Because the reader (in this case me) IS in fact a massive idiot, and I therefore did not even NOTICE the bar at the top near the date. I assumed red meant 10, Orange 8, etc etc, and I was FREAKING OUT about my trip in April where the parks I am attending are always 10s. But then I realized that the entire week is safely in the yellow (whew!) because of your brilliant explanation.

I have literally used KtP’s calendars for the last 3 trips and NEVER noticed this. Why? See my level of idiocy as described above.

So thank you!

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s idiocy, I think it’s the fact that KtP’s crowd calendar isn’t particularly intuitive. And I didn’t mean to explain it as though the reader is an idiot… :slight_smile:

I tend to agree. I think the UT calendar, which uses a similar tactic, is far more intuitive than KtPs. It took me some time to figure it out. The UT calendar is fairly straightforward by comparison. Trouble is, KtP and UT somtimes given opposite recommendations, which makes the endeavor even more frustrating.

1 Like

My (minor) panic was inspired by the fact that the red colouring indicates, quote, Insane Crowds / Worst Park.

Those two are not the same thing. So which is it?

When used as the “overall” color, it means “insane crowds”. When used to apply to an individual park, it means, “Worst Park”.

Oh! I see. That’s not super clear, then.

I don’t fear busy parks. First off, there’s nothing I can do about them. They are what they are. I’ve booked the dates of my trip and I’m not changing them. I’ve made my park allocations and I’m not particularly interested in changing those, either. Second, FPPs guarantee three fun things to do. ADRs guarantee two more. Plus I have priority access to ROL. Throw in some wandering round and I’m good to go. And if I’m bad to go I can flee to a hotel to chill out.

You know where I’m going with this, don’t you? Either you WEREN’T panicked, or you DO fear busy parks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wasn’t an insult, I promise. I meant that you broke it down more simply. Sorry to word it poorly.

1 Like

You’re fortunate that I love you as much as I do.

I wasn’t remotely troubled by KtP’s crowd calendar, except to the following extent. For me there’s not that much to do at AK — certainly very little I haven’t already done — and I’ve been concerned (shocking as this is) that I might get bored. Wandering around — including, but not merely limited to, along the official trails — is actually very appealing, but if the crowds really were “insane” then this might not have been so much fun and I would probably have escaped to AKL.

I think he always says the park with morning EMH is the worst park to go to. But the worst park that day could be CL2 if the others are all 1. You worry too much. You know what you’re doing.

1 Like

There are loads of animals trails to discover. Those paths can be explored for a couple of hours.
How many animals can you spot on the Tree of Life?
Live performers are well worth it.
Why not consider getting the Wilderness Explorers book and do some of them?
Soak up,the sights and sounds of Harambe.

I could spend a day at AK without doing a single ride. Easily!

As for Kali, take a poncho and wear it. Or take spare clothes and put it in a locker. Put everything you’re carrying in a locker anyway. Have you never done this before? :open_mouth:

2 Likes

TS is relatively new for my family. (Last few trips, only.) FPP was a major game changer and has now made these silly calendars so sought after. When they don’t agree it is always a headache. While I have very mixed feelings about Josh at least he always explained his recommendations (as does TP obviously).