Wizard money request

So… I’m headed to Orlando with some extended family the 3rd week in October. I would really like to surprise my niece and nephews with a Hogwarts acceptance letter, including some wizard money to buy snacks before boarding the train. I have what I need to put the letters together, with the exception of the wizard money…which can apparently only be purchased onsite. Is there a fellow liner out there that is headed to Universal in the next month or so that would be willing to help me? I could paypal you the money before you go, along with enough for postage to mail the wizard currency to me. I’ll even buy you a butterbeer for your trouble. Any takers? TIA :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Such a great idea. I would love to see the letter you have for your niece and nephew. I think I would love to surprise my daughter for our trip in March!

1 Like

I’m happy to share it with you when I have it done. I had thought about mailing the letters to them beforehand to add to the excitement, but I don’t want it to be one more thing that the parents have to remember to bring. So I’m going to put them on their beds at the hotel.

1 Like

I was planning to do the same (and also will be there the third week of October!!) have been looking on etsy.com but the personalized letters (some also come with Hogwarts Express “tickets”) are pricey. So i would also love to know how you do it if you don’t mind sharing?

Yeah, Etsy has some cute stuff, but so expensive if you are doing it for more than one kid. Here’s what I’ve got so far:

IMG_5005

I found these on Amazon. Here are the links.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CYYRHJ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found the Hogwarts crest online at several different websites for free, as well as some images of a ticket to the Hogwarts Express. Here is my first draft of the text of the letter:

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin first class, Grand sorcerer, Chief Warlock Supreme, International Confederation of Wizards)

Dear Andrew,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Please find enclosed ticket to board the Hogwarts Express at King’s Cross Station, Platform 9 ¾.

Also enclosed is currency to purchase snacks prior to boarding the train.

Do not bother sending an owl. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

6 Likes

Also, since I’m sharing, look how cute this is!!

IMG_4992

I have chronic foot problems so I use a knee scooter in the parks. I’ve made a cover for the basket that looks like the torso of a Hogwarts student…I just received an iron-on Griffindor patch that I will place on the robe. The owl is a puppet that is sitting on top of a PVC pipe, and there is room for about 5-6 wands to ride in the PVC pipe. This way they are protected and hopefully won’t get broken. I also need to make a seat cover…still working on that design.

8 Likes

So creative and amazingly executed!!! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Oh and how are you doing the letter?

1 Like

We are going in November but I’m pretty inexperienced. This is such a neat idea! Can someone tell me what the money is?? I might try to do something similar for my boys!

1 Like

This is the money.

You get it at the money exchange in Diagon Alley.

And you use it the park like money? How neat!! Thanks for showing me!

1 Like

I’ll post a screenshot of my Hogwarts letter design when I get back home on Monday. And as soon as I have them printed and finished I’ll post a pic of the actual letters too. I’m planning on printing them on my regular printer at home, using a wizard-y font.

1 Like

awesome

You can download free fonts from Dafont.com and they have a HP!

1 Like

Thank you @nwhicks!

Here is the screenshot of my first draft. I got the HP font from DaFont.com (as suggested), and the font for Minerva McGonagall was also from that site.

2 Likes

The font probably isn’t a good idea. The HP font is really the font that represents the movie title, not the font that would be used in the letter. (For example, the lightning bolt look.)

Here is a snap from the movie that shows what it actually looked like as reference:

Actually, I’m not convinced that is from the movie. Let me double check. I think the one from the movie is all handwritten. My point was mainly that the HP font makes it seem inauthentic.

This looks more likely:

1 Like

Hopefully and most likely, sweet Andrew will not be engaging in the forensic cinematography that you are, Ryan! I think it will go over swimmingly.

4 Likes

I raise it as a point because it is something my daughter would notice.