Wise counsel required

Can you define what constitutes a lockdown?

To me, a lockdown is when all but essential businesses are closed and people are instructed to stay at home for all but essential travel (to the dr, grocery, etc.) That hasn’t been the case in most (all?) of the the US for months.

To me things like mask mandates, limits on the size of gatherings, and closures of specific classes of high-risk businesses are restrictions but not lockdowns.

7 Likes

Wait, is this one of those “go over to Disney Springs to get it” gift cards? I remember they burned you on that last time. Build it in to your plan.

2 Likes

I see/read about places both in the US and other countries where churches are closed, public gatherings banned, limits placed on restaurants, can’t sit on benches, wear masks in our own homes, etc. I am pretty sure business and faithful that are forced to close consider these “restrictions” to be a lockdown. The government mandating that I wear a mask inside by privately owned house constitutes as locking down my freedoms within my own kitchen.

In one sense, you proved part of my point. We have been slowly boiling in this “restriction” pot that we no longer can see “today” as a lockdown. We sit here hoping the our government leaders let us have a little leash never realizing that the leash is getting shorter.

1 Like

So are you saying that any restriction can be called a lockdown?

I’m not trying to be pedantic. I’m interested in all POV, but unless terminology is well defined people talk at cross purposes.

I would argue that if one is going to compare lockdowns to prison or house arrest, one really must limit its use to the most severe restrictions. Being in prison and being required to wear a mask are worlds apart.

I see no evidence that restrictions continually get more stringent. To the contrary, in the US in many places eased off restrictions once numbers started coming down. Then as numbers started creeping up in the fall, new restrictions were introduced. To me, this trend seems entirely appropriate. It’s responding to the viral spread where/when it is.

6 Likes

I would argue that certain restrictions enacted actually help ensure more freedom.

For example, without mask mandates, I would be forced to have to stay away from going out in public for the most basic of things without putting myself as considerable risk. The mask mandates effectively grant me the freedom to better interact with the community and economy, etc.

Mask mandates allow businesses to operate more fully without having to put their employees at risk.

So I hardly equate mask mandates with lockdowns. In fact, quite the opposite. Mask mandates make lockdowns unnecessary.

We had lockdowns early on in the pandemic. Since then, most things have opened up fairly normally, with a few exceptions still in place. The recent surge in cases have given rise to some additional temporary measures. But in many places such as here in Michigan, cases are worse than at any point during the entire pandemic.

Nobody likes any of this.

16 Likes

I’ve never heard of anyone advocating or mandating masks inside your own home.

I guess if you have guests over? that’s just basic preventative measures for interacting with people who aren’t in your household, regardless of location.

I saw someone reference it as a debate between freedom as an individual vs freedom of society, which I thought was a good way of thinking about it. If individuals wear masks and socially distance, then the society as a whole can do more (keep schools/businesses open). This is always a tension when the negative consequences of an individuals actions aren’t exclusively limited to that individual.

8 Likes

I have heard this recommendation recently and we have considered it since my DH goes into a large office complex everyday where mask compliance is poor and I work from home. So in order to avoid sharing whatever he might bring home to me and DS I’ve thought of masks at home too. It wouldn’t need to be a consideration if DH’s employer would enforce mask usage. Makes me really mad!

2 Likes

Thanks for everyone’s reply. And thanks for having charitable speech and not just dismissing my ideas out of hand. It is much appreciate. I will ensure my end/tone is as cordial as well.

WRT “masks at home orders” it is PA. And yes, it is when guests are over. I cannot find the other articles ATM regarding other places with masks at home orders. my bad.

When I was little and in trouble, I was placed on restriction. I did not get more freedoms. It did not ensure my freedom. The point of restrictions is to take away freedoms. Governments tend to not like giving back freedoms once we citizens hand them over.

WRT nomenclature, while I could argue certain points re: lockdowns vs. restrictions etc., our discussion will then lead us toward points that I am not trying to make. I wanted to provide higher level points, which is…

The overall point I was trying to get across on my initial response was with the Great Reset, the whole point is to re-engineer societal structures and contracts. This isn’t conspiracy theory stuff. This stuff is on World Economic Forum’s website. I have read the documents. I stated previously that even the Canadian PM is mentioning this by name. Other world leaders as well.

My overall point is that, unless we are vigilant with our rights, things will not get back to “normal”. I know, that goes for any time and season. However, normalcy was never the endgame with all of this. That’s the problem. We, myself included, can’t always see the bigger picture until we investigate further. I have taken those steps and invite y’all to start at minimum to do some research on the great reset because it is coming to yours and ours countries.

This is scarier than anything 2020 has thrown our way this far :frowning:

1 Like

It really isn’t.

4 Likes

The coronavirus pandemic ‘great reset’ theory and a false vaccine claim debunked The coronavirus pandemic 'Great Reset' theory and a false vaccine claim debunked - BBC News

7 Likes

Anyone who thinks world leaders are collaborating on a grand scale to put their nefarious ideas into action has CLEARLY never had to coordinate or be a part of a major group work project. :roll_eyes:

14 Likes

Thread drift warning!!!

Started off as trip advice, then the vaccine and now economic ideas. :joy::joy:

Anyway whilst we were talking about a vaccine, there’s also good news for anyone who is immune-compromised.

5 Likes

I haven’t looked . Is there anywhere in those other theories that explains why the world leaders would want to destroy all tourism and recreational activities?

4 Likes

this really sounds like crazy conspiracy theory talk :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Ummmm, you see who started this thread right?? :joy: It was bound to drift!

3 Likes

Speaking of drifts…here was our backyard this morning.

12 Likes

Pretty!

Beautiful!!! It looks cold though, to be seen from a window, with hot coffee in hand. Did u see the projected weather for first week of Dec? I know it can change but kind of warm, high of mid 70’s.

Link? I was curious so I went looking at the WEF website. I am not seeing what you are referencing. Link?

1 Like