Winter Break 2022

With Christmas and New Year falling on weekends this year, what do the majority of school calendars look like? Are most kids back in school Jan 2nd or 3rd? We usually try to go the week before Christmas, but our kids are off until Jan 9th this year so we’re thinking about going after New Year. Decorations and trees stay up at least until Epiphany (1/6/23), right? Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t know what the “majority” of districts are doing, but my kids go back to school on Wednesday, January 4th.

1 Like

Hi, Chicago area here and my kids won’t go back until week of January 9th. They are off the week of the 2nd.

1 Like

Darn, I was hoping it was just us so we could have the place all to ourselves :wink:

2 Likes

I’m hoping you’re in the majority!

1 Like

I checked the school calendars in my area (TN). Schools go back on Monday Jan. 2, 2023 here

1 Like

Our school calendar still isn’t posted. Which is exactly how my daughter missed the first day of 9th grade. Never in all the years has school started before the Wednesday after Labor Day. Except that year. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

How can they not have it posted? My school district posts their board-approved calendar over a year before the school year starts. We already have the full 2023-24 calendar.

2 Likes

Interesting. Here in Nashville it’s January 4th.

3 Likes

Tuesday, Jan. 3 - north of Pittsburgh

1 Like

Memphis is always crazy! :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m not going to disagree.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Wow! I didn’t think anyone went back to school that late anymore. My daughter graduated in 2020. They went back early August each year. When I was a kid, a long time ago, we didn’t go back until after Labor Day either.

I will add my DD got a lot more breaks, 3 day weekends and half days that I ever did though. I’m sure it all adds up somewhere!

1 Like

:woman_shrugging: Usually we’ll get the coming years calendar around Feb-Mar. I don’t know why it’s so late this year. I checked our local BOCES because our calendar usually mimics theirs and it’s not posted either. I don’t care anymore though because my youngest is graduating in two weeks! Whoop whoop!

3 Likes

It’s a typical timeline for Long Island schools. That’s why late August was a favored time for us to go to WDW because the rest of the country went back to school so much earlier than us. The parks always had super low crowds, and my kids didn’t miss school. Win-win!

3 Likes

Haven’t seen our school calendar yet, but based on the way the dates fall I will expect my son will be in school through 12/23 (maybe early release that day?) and 100% expect he will be back in school on Monday 1/2 as per our norm.

2 Likes

teacher contract negotiations can be never-ending in some districts

1 Like

MO just changed last year that all public schools start after Labor Day. The change was fueled by the Lake of the Ozarks wanting to extend their tourist season.

2 Likes

My DD’s school didn’t have AC and therefore always started later than most schools in the area. We still often had more heat days than snow days here in St. Louis. We weren’t brave enough to do WDW in Aug, but hit the trails of CO when the summer crowds had gone back to school. I always appreciated those extra 2 weeks at the end of summer.

2 Likes