Wine and Dine 5k

You got this. I started running at age 54. Within 2 months I had run my first 5k. I agree with what has been said already, look into Jeff Galloway method of walk run. Don’t be concerned about exercising in public, be proud you are out there.

As far as cancellation refunds, definitely not. I had to bail on 3 Disney races last year that I paid for due to a broken ankle, no refund.

1 Like

Ouch! For your ankle and for your wallet! Hope you are all healed up.

Thanks for the encouragement! I’m 47. Never been athletic. But I feel like this is something I could do. Especially with the added incentive of Disney and a good charity. There is a walk/run 5k in my town this Spring. I might register. Even if I just walk it will give me the experience of how a race works.

4 Likes

I think this is a good plan. Not only will it give you a general idea of race day logistics, but it could be the spark that motivates you for more “races”. This is what happened to me during my first 5k. I loved the race event atmosphere. People everywhere from all walks of life, all stages of running fitness, all running (or walking) towards the finish line together. It is a “race”, but very few people are really competitive (like maybe 5 out of 1000 if that many). I like to think of it as a race against myself: can I improve over my last race? And if not, oh well, there is always next time. And I had fun in the process. The best part is crossing the finish line with a bunch of strangers cheering for you. And knowing that you finished something you didn’t think you could do a year ago.

3 Likes