Will VelociCoaster make me black out?

It was all over the news. But the result was the park (forget who…a lot of finger pointing) intentionally modified the seat mechanism to accommodate larger guests, but it undermined the safety. The manufacturer inspected and confirmed. I will see if I can find something with details, since my memory is foggy on the exact details.

Here is one article with some details…

Specifically…

3 Likes

When it says “operator of the thrill ride,” does it mean the specific employee who put the kid in the seat, or does it mean the theme park made adjustments after purchasing the ride system? I would assume the latter, but the verbiage is kind of ambiguous.

Edit: after reading the whole article, it sounds like it was the amusement park itself that made the modifications. Still not clear why they would do that counter to manufacturer recommendations.

Yes. Operator means the owners of the park, not the individual ride operators.

1 Like

I believe they sell tickets to individual attractions… when you operate on that model if people can’t fit on your ride then you’re not getting their money.

3 Likes

Turns out the decision to go after that money was an expensive one of the worst kind.

3 Likes

My hubby said he read online popping your ears helps too. So I tried that one Hulk ride, like the entire time i just kept popping them. It worked but what a pain LOL

3 Likes

Thought you all would be interested in this article - Hulk is the big “grey out” offender.

3 Likes

It’s crazy to me. I don’t think it’s particularly intense. My parents in their late 60s/early 70s ride it with no issues at all.

2 Likes

Brits are used to whiplash thanks to your domestic politics.

6 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Maybe @gingerSnaps543222 also has an “autonomic nervous system condition”

3 Likes

I only rode Hulk once last week. I used to be able to ride it multiple times in a row. On that one ride, my feet started feeling “fuzzy” and I felt like i was fighting to stay alert. IDK what the change was for me. I can ride VC several times in a row and feel fine. I do not ride RRR at all anymore. No passing out but it kills my head.

1 Like

I had done Hulk all last year but last trip, I saw spots coming out of the launch. It faded very quickly, but was scary as hell! Happened twice - I made the 2 boys go without me the last time as a result. Didn’t have that experience on any other ride.

2 Likes

I mean I’m often a nervous wreck. ;-). Hence my therapy of choice, multiple Disney trips a year!

4 Likes

I went and looked at this disease and I do have a few of the symptoms so maybe. I have nerve problems in my left arm and my feet. I have low blood pressure and do black out standing up sometimes, and sometimes it’s so bad I don’t know which way is up. Usually stress induced or I haven’t eaten in awhile so maybe hypoglycemic. I’ll have to ask the doc.

2 Likes