Will VelociCoaster make me black out?

Good advice :smirk:

2 Likes

Better at night but keep an eye on the weather. Better to ride in the morning than not at all, and given afternoon thunderstorms that can trail into the evening, some days it may end up only being open in the morning.

ETA: Itā€™s fantastic in the day, too, and there are some sights that are better seen in the day. But in general nighttime is better for coasters.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information and articles!

2 Likes

I RDā€™s both times. For this ride I donā€™t know if darkness is capable of making it better. Front row is far more intense though. Hagrids is definitely better at night so maybe it is too. Let me know if anyone has compared so I can add it to the bucket list.

1 Like

Just read @Jeff_AZ Comment. Gonna have to try for that next time.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

My husband is like @gingerSnaps543222 ! He doesnā€™t black out a lot, but he did on Hulk last visit. No issues with Velocicoaster!

2 Likes

Hulk has particularly high G forces. Most newer coasters try to avoid higher G forces while still creating higher levels of thrill. However, even a lower G force, if prolonged, can lead to gray outs. Black outs are more rare, and generally a sign you shouldnā€™t be riding.

I have only grayed out once, but it was on a high G force moment on a coaster while my blood sugar was running low (didnā€™t realize it until after).

3 Likes

Yeah I have a sneaking suspicion blood sugar is part of it for me. For example this time I didnā€™t gray out on RRR but I did last time when I rode it in the early afternoon (like 1pm ish) and hadnā€™t eaten breakfast since like 6 or 7 am. I rode RRR first thing this time and was fine.

1 Like

I went to UOR in December with DS13. I have always loved coasters. I rode Velocicoaster followed by Hagridā€™s. Part way through Hagridā€™s I thought for sure I would throw up (it was mild on Velocicoaster, but holy crap I thought Iā€™d embarrass the hell out of myself on Hagridā€™s and it was very close). I was so afraid my coaster time was over. Then I realized I hadnā€™t had a real meal that morning, just a granola bar. Turns out Iā€™m just too old to do coasters on an empty stomach.

Next day, ate a decent breakfast and headed straight for Hulk, then Velocicoaster- no issues.

Funny enough, Iā€™ve never blacked out on the ride, but I have waiting in line. Hot day at Six Flags, passed out cold. Heat will do it to me every time.

3 Likes

I think I do the gray out thing on Hulk too. I start to lose feeling in my feet and just feel fuzzy. I donā€™t ride RRR anymore because it gives me a headache. No problems on Hagrid, and I rode Rock n Rollercoaster last month and was fine. Iā€™m definitely going to try Velocicoaster in April but idk if Iā€™ll ride Hulk (sad because I love itā€“DH and I rode 3 times in a row with Express Pass one visit.)

I know this is an old thread, but as a former roller coaster operator the vasovagal faint is pretty common on launched coasters and/or pretty much any coaster that goes over 80mph. Generally speaking, in my experience people who have a history of fainting while riding should expect it might happen any time you ride those types. Iā€™ve talked to a guy who rode Millennium Force (300"+, 93 mph, no launch) all the time and he said he fainted some of the time but not all of the time, even on several consecutive rides. Heā€™d been to doctors to get his blood pressure and heart checked, and everything looked good. He could never sense any pattern to when it would or wouldnā€™t happen, but that was the first one it had ever happened on.

Interestingly, it never seemed to happen on Wicked Twister, which was a launched coaster (0-60mph in 2 seconds, with several subsequent launches up to 72mph). If it ever did happen then nobody ever mentioned it to the crew. That ride, for all itā€™s launching and twisting, seemed to be really, really easy on the bodyā€¦ nobody ever threw up or pooped themselves either. The only bodily weirdness we ever noticed was with people getting out of the seats and having their feet be pins and needles.

4 Likes

We did the VIP tour last trip. Our guide told us that Incredible Hulk Coaster was purposefully designed to push your limits. She said the average person blacks out at 5Gs and you pull 4.5Gs (positive Gs) on Hulk. So for those of us on the end of the bell curve like myself we black out. However, VelociCoaster was designed to have a negative gravity effect, aka you come up out of your seat and float, and therefore does not make you black out even if youā€™re on the ends of average. Thought that was a fun physics fact.

6 Likes

The G forces on Wicked Twister (and Top Thrill Dragster, actually) are quite tame compared to many coasters. Most G forces come when you quickly transition in tight curves or at the bottom of a hill as it goes back up. Bottom of the first hill on MF into the turn, for example, has fairly high G forces (4.5 Gs) because of the transition at a high speed that is sustained for more than a brief moment.

Iā€™ve only experienced a ā€œbrown outā€ once on any coaster, but it was during a time period that my blood sugar was low (didnā€™t realize it until afterwards) when riding Viper at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Interestingly, Disneyā€™s Rockinā€™ Roller Coaster does 5 Gs. I donā€™t think it is during the launch, though. (Not 100% sure.) Usually launches themselves donā€™t have terribly high G-forces. TTD doesnā€™t even really go over 3 Gs on the launch

So Iā€™m doing Velocicoaster in 57 days as my very first ride. I havenā€™t ridden a roller coaster more intense than Disney in 18 years or so and Iā€™ve never been a fan of roller coasters that just go straight down big hills. I love inversions, but Iā€™ve always had the comforting presence of the overhead restraint. I watched a front seat ride POV video of Velocicoaster with huge eyes, fast heart rate, and saying ā€œthey canā€™t possibly be doing that with just a lap restraint.ā€ Iā€™m both terrified and very, very excited to ride!

So what Iā€™m gathering from this thread is that I should eat some peanut butter toast beforehand, make sure Iā€™m well hydrated, wear a motion sickness band (though possibly mainly for Hagridā€™s), donā€™t hold on too tight, and scream with both my heart and my lungs. My plans afterward are to sit for a couple of minutes and contemplate my life choices. :laughing:

Also, I watched a video yesterday with a couple who got a preview ride last year who are self-described ā€œnot roller coaster peopleā€ (one who gets motion sickness) and they broke down how they felt at each ride element. Iā€™m going to be fine and canā€™t wait.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the one that did me in, but I didnā€™t know it was a launch and was looking to my left when we took off and definitely had some kind of vasovagal impact as a result, spending the rest of the ride trying not to pass out

did you poop yourself???

4 Likes

ā€œbrown outā€ is a term when your vision goes dark, but not a complete black out.

eh, where I come from it could definitely mean pooping

5 Likes

Sometimes people use the term ā€œgreyoutā€ instead of ā€œbrownoutā€. Maybe thatā€™s why! :slight_smile:

3 Likes