Wifi vs cell service for grabbing LLs

Do you mean, I should turn off wifi, run the test again, and compare it to the first test?

1 Like

Correct. So the real difference between Wifi and Cell in that case is the Cell is 13.3 Mbps (upload) versus 57.9 Mbps wifi.

Anyhow, for the amount of data, that difference isn’t enough to matter. I would see if you can find a speed test that also checked latency. Latency might be a more useful bit of information.

ETA: Do note that the speedtest would need to be done each time in the environment you would actually care about it.

2 Likes

download

3 Likes

Try https://www.speedtest.net/

2 Likes

See, speed measures constant data flow rate. But latency measure how long it takes for that data to actually travel from A to B to begin with.

Think of it this way… If I run from point A to B, I might run, say, 6 MPH. it doesn’t matter how far I travel, how many obstacles are in the way, or how direct I go, my SPEED is still 6 MPH. BUT, the path I could take means that the time it takes for me to get from point A could vary. It could take me 1 second if the two points are very close. It could take me 10 minutes if they are relatively far away. My speed doesn’t change, but my “latency” does.

When it comes to timing of things such as what we’re talking with Disney, latency differences likely are more impactful than actual speed, unless speed is particularly slow. Again, with the running example, if I’m travelling 10 ft, then whether I go 4 MPH or 7 MPH doesn’t impact terribly the time…but if the speed difference is more like 1/2 MPH versus 6 MPH, then even the latency time is impacted by quite a bit.

4 Likes

I used their app, rather than their page in a browser app. Does this tell me what I’m looking for?

1 Like

The “ping” is the latency. So, yes. Both are pretty low, so short story is…it probably doesn’t matter which one you use (in this particular case). But again, run the same tests when you are actually there at Disney to do a comparison. Any latency difference less than ~30 ms is probably not enough to make a difference.

Low is good, right??

Yes. The lower, the better, when it comes to latency/ping.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your help, Professor Ryan!

3 Likes

We were at Beach Club at the end of Feb. I thought my 5G was much faster than the resort WiFi in getting LLs in morning.

It seemed to me that at 7 AM, everyone in the resort was using the wifi, which slowed it down. Speed tests outside this timeframe aren’t really measuring what you will be up against.

5 Likes

This is a very good point.

2 Likes

My recommendation was for this too, mostly I use. Thanks for the ping info. I forgot about this…

1 Like

We’ve been here since Sundat, staying offsite. I use the wifi at the condo for the 7 a.m. one, and then I only use cell data. It has lost signal on me twice when I was trying to boom subsequent LL, once in Muppets, once in Philharmagic.

1 Like

I’m not worried about nanoseconds but is cell data reliable everywhere on property? I have T-Mobile which I know ranked third but I just want to be sure I have good enough cell signal to grab LLs at Fort Wilderness.

I have Verizon and had zero problems with service anywhere I went. Didn’t go to FW so I can’t speak to that specifically.

Once I was at WDW I promptly forgot all about my careful connectivity research. 🫤 It just didn’t turn out to be an issue for me.

I think cell signal is pretty reliable but bandwidth varies, especially when everyone is on their phones at the same time (like at a BG drop time).

I used cell service - Cricket - 100% of the time. I never had a bad spot save inside the ROTR line.

1 Like