Why such a difference in Crowd predictions

This, THIS is the coolest thing about TP. It’s all about figuring out the numbers. Can’t wait to see what you guys come up with. Thanks so much for keeping us posted! #mathmovesu

1 Like

Thank you and your team at torimg plans @len. It is great to see the time and care you put into keeping is informed on Disney. The insights and information on the inner workings and reasons as to the long lines are insightful and interesting to read about.

My husband is always impressed with how much I seem to know about Disney and the bulk of it comes from here, your books, chat, and forums. And I give credit where it is due. I love this community.

I also love the fact that you and your staff are active and approachable to all of the community. It is nice to know you listen to us and our ideas and answer our questions.

Thank you again and keep up the awesome work.

3 Likes

Thank you for the info. We noticed a disconnect between actual vs predicted waits too last week. Any chance you guys will follow-up on this once you get a better sense of what is going on at WDW? Just hoping for better TPs next trip.

Yes - updates to the calendar coming late next week.

One of the things we’re looking at now is the Fastpass ratio. Disney seems to have made some adjustments over summer that might be affecting standby waits. We’ll have more on it shortly.

4 Likes

I have been reading everything I can about how the CC projections have been created. I am still looking but I cannot find this information. Are last year’s crowds, or historical levels included as a data point in projections? I remember the photos from last Labor Day weekend. The parks were empty! This year TP tweeted out photos from I think HS that showed that same level of crowds, but all reports from MK showed massive waits for attractions and crowds that made it impossible to walk around the park. Other than Food and Wine and possibly OL, is this just a MK issue?

I heard something about some guests getting a fourth FPP during busy times. More FPP’s in general would fit that trend. Perhaps it’s an attempt to increase guest satisfaction during peak dates. Hmm

1 Like

Will you be updating the DLR crowd calendar also? Not too many happy peeps over there. Thanks!

Yes, that too. Thanks @moorparknay15.

@len, my daughter and her hubby got off a cruise ship last week, rented a car and stopped at MK for the day since their flight didn’t take off till 10p.
This is her 3rd visit within the past 18 months and the one thing that she said that she noticed while in the standby line this time,that she had never noticed before was, if there was anyone in the FP+ line, they would stop the standby and let any and all of the people in the FP+ line go through to the ride. She said, this happened a lot, and it didn’t matter how many people were in the FP+ line, they were all let through. Everytime 1 person came up, the standby line was stopped and if a group of 20 came up, the standby line was stopped and they were all let through. She said it was like this in every line and not isolated to just a couple of rides. I just wanted to give you any info that may help.

1 Like

I was there last week and noticed the same thing. Everyone in the FP line was waved through. It’s been a while since our last visit, so I thought it was standard operating procedure.

That happend to us at Kilimanjaro. Standby line was listed at a 15 minute wait and we waited an hour, because there was literally a steady stream of FP+ people for 45 minutes, which meant we didn’t move a single inch for those 45 minutes. Not sure why there were so many people, maybe they had given out anytime passes? But no exageration, there was no break in that line and we didn’t move until it finally ended. I couldn’t understand why they couldn’t let just a couple standby people through in between…

@lgorgone, that is crazy!

@len, we may be on to something! I have also noticed, by checking the TP app everyday several times per day that there are still FP+ available for many rides all day, up until late in the evening. EX: at 4:10pm today there were 4:20 FP+ available for Test Track. At MK there were 4:25 FP+ for Big Thunder Mountain, Buzz, Jungle Cruise and 4:50 FP+ for Space Mountain and at AK, there are 4:25 FP+ for Expedition Everest and Kali River Rapids.

Could it be possible that they are giving out alot more FP+ than they did before along with the privilege of letting the FP+ line all go through whenever there is a FP+ line?

Those 2 things would truly cause the standby lines to be extremely long.

I too noticed that fast pass was getting a lot of unbalanced treatment. I was on line for Peter Pan, and It took over 15 mins to get through when I was less than 20 people away from the merge, because they would let in one boat, then 20+ fast pass and if someone walked up they were let in. Standby was only being let in one boat at a time.

And for the first time I saw many times that the fast pass line really was a line, it got backed up, on PoC, Space, Splash, HM. Maybe there were stacking the amount of fast pass people being let in, because once the line moved you got on, all but PoC, that just took forever, long slow line for fast pass.

I love that y’all are looking at this. I’ll give you some charts to look at, too, in a blog post later today.

We’ve looked at this. There doesn’t seem to be a clear pattern as to when FPs run out, for 2014 vs 2015. And there doesn’t seem to be a clear correlation between when FPs run out, and standby waits.

We’ve checked the ratio of Fastpass guests to standby guests at the MK and DHS attractions, and they don’t seem to have changed those rules in the past couple of years. The default for most seems to be about 80% FP guests, 20% standby. They can increase that FP ratio when FP lines get long, as y’all have noticed, to 90%/10% (or slightly more) for brief times, but the default is pretty high to begin with.

More shortly. Working on a blog post. Thank you all, very much, for the comments.

3 Likes

and thank you @len! Looking forward to the charts :+1:

Any chance they released more “free” dining rooms? I was thinking about it last night, I know only certain rooms in certain resorts are available for the free dining options, but could they have opened more rooms to that option? I assume that would draw a good amount more of people to the parks, but maybe it wouldn’t make as much of an impact as I’m thinking it would?

not likely and not from what I’ve seen from my end. Room availability may shift as people switch around or cancel, but Disney only releases a certain amount of promotional rooms. Could be that people are drawn in by the promotion, but then paying non-discounted rates anyway if they can’t find what they want with the promotion.

1 Like

We’ll have a blog post on DHS crowds out later today, then Epcot, AK, and MK over each of the next days.

Sorry for the delay. There was a lot of things to look at.

3 Likes

This is probably the most anticipated release since free dining! Lol.

1 Like

I get down there on Sunday, so at this point, I’m really hoping that everything is not going to flip upside down with predictions.