Why should I love the Poly? ❤️

I think because we only do Disney every 2/3 years we really like to be fully immersed in it and the contemporary/ beach club resorts are the sort of places we have stayed at before on a more regular basis in other countries. I do feel a bit torn because the GF did really appeal to me but I have been out-voted! The good thing about the Poly is that it is just next door so I will book some restaurants and will be able to sweep down that amazing staircase at the GF!

We stayed at the Poly last year and will this year as well. I wanted to try the Grand Floridian for the upcoming trip, but DH (who has only stayed at the Poly) gave a big veto. Here is why the Poly is great:

• super great pools and a fun water slide - the little kid play area in the pool is so fun!
  • watching the electrical light parade and fireworks from the beach is great (GF probably offers that, too, but I’m not sure)
  • Breakfast at O’hana’s with Lilo and Stitch is fun
  • the Luau at night is great
  • we enjoyed Captain Cooks for quick meals to eat in our room while at the hotel resting

Ha - in our house it isn’t a democracy but rather a benevolent dictatorship. MOM always wins the vote (as well she should). You can always SPLIT your stay.

1 Like

Thanks for that…the pool area does look lovely. I have heard mixed reviews about the Luau (that is the show right?!) was considering it as its something we have not experienced before and we do like to experiment!

My little ones didn’t care about the Luau last year (they are so little, only 5 and 2), but I think a 10 year old might think it’s cool. We were with our in-laws and extended family last year with a lot of adults, who would enjoy watching the dancing and fire twirling. I think it’s a once in a lifetime kind of thing and not something I’d do regularly.

1 Like

It usually is here too!! I do all the planning, all the hard work, so I should get my own way…right?! I can’t believe they wanted to dig their heels in on this subject…I really thought I was going to win…Ho hum…

I think you’re right :grinning: Got to try out things we maybe have reservations about and sometimes we can be surprised! Boys are 21 and 12 so I think they will probably love it…hubby less so!

If you haven’t experienced the “kitschy” Polynesian type of thing before then I think Poly might be great fun for the guys. At any rate, if you’re not opposed to a little bit of over the top tropical flair then you’ll enjoy it. It is 100% themed. It’s also a great location, with the monorail and launches to get you to MK and the other MK resorts, plus you can walk next door to the ticket transportation center an get right on the Epcot monorail without fussing about with a transfer.

GF is posh (I just returned from a stay there) and the staff is the best but it’s not really what you’d call “fun” unless you’re really into the Princess Promenade! You’re also just a walk (or monorail, or launch ride) away from GF when you’re at Poly, so mom can always take a stroll and have a posh spa day too!

1 Like

Your 21 year old will probably like the hula dancers shaking their butts! haha :joy::joy:

2 Likes

We stayed at the Poly last November (from the UK through Virgin) and loved it. There were many things that we enjoyed about the Poly.

The theming is brilliant, the resort is beautiful and there is such attention to detail. The Volcano pool was a huge hit with my girls (13, 11 and 7) and was not crowded at all in November.

The location is great as you can get to the MK and EPCOT very easily. The AK and HS buses were also frequent and convenient to use. Being on the monorail is very convenient but there’s also the boat to the MK too.

The rooms are a reasonably good size (we were in standard) and the beds were very comfy!

We really liked Captain Cooks and Ohanas but you have also got the choice of easily dining at either the GF or the Contemporary which have a good choice of TS and CS places. There is also the Tambu lounge, the pool bar at the new quiet pool and Trader Sams plus In room dining and more! Also we loved the views and watching the fireworks from the beach.

Don know whether anyone else has mentioned but there is lots of info on the poly at www.tikimanpages.com. Also, have you tried disney world travel company as they also seem to have the offers that Virgin are giving - they might be competitive.

1 Like

No princesses or glitter in this house😕 But I am liking the idea of a couple of treatments at the spa…brilliant! The boys can go off and do manly stuff together!

So funny :joy: Will make sure to get some great pics!

Will try the link…thanks! Sounds like you had a great time :grinning: We do Virgin because DH is a club member…also we like up grading to premium economy and love downtown (springs) check in!

1 Like

Just curious…what is a princess promenade? We have a huge princess fan!!

They have the little princesses gather at around 3:30 and they made a fanfare and announcement and then parade through the lobby with a Prince and Princess, followed by a waltz in the center of the lobby.

There’s a sign in the lobby about it, but I didn’t read it so I’m not sure how you sign up for it.

Thank you so much! I’ll check that out!!:grinning:

We stayed at the Poly for our first trip to WDW in May and we absolutely loved it! The theming is very tastefully done and the grounds are just beautiful! Hawaiian flowers everywhere and lots of Aloha’s and Mahalo’s from the cast members. My kids loved it! I personally loved all of the space in the room, we had more counter space and closet space and drawers than we knew what to do with, which was awesome! The beds were comfy (and I am quite snobby when it comes to hotel rooms I only ever stay 4 to 5 star). The restaurants were all very good, our favorite was breakfast at Ohana and the of course the dole whip! The kona coffee in the morning right in front of the monorail pick-up was very handy! We loved the easy transportation to MK via boat or monorail (used both) and also the walk over to TTC for Epcot was short and pleasant. We watched the water parade and the fireworks from the beach and enjoyed them both. Have to say the bus transportation was frustrating maybe just because we were spoiled from monorail and boat, but towards the end of the trip we started using uber to get to HS or AK (only $7.00 each way I believe) and that was perfect. Also we were disappointed in a late dinner at Kona Café, my expectations might have been too high or maybe it was an off-night but we thought it was just so-so. I would love to try WL or AKL because they look beautiful but honestly it would be hard to leave the convenience of the Poly if we ever go back!

1 Like

Can anyone join the princess parade please? We are thinking about a 4pm Park Fare Dinner so that would fit in well.

Yes, it’s open to all (not just GF guests) and it’s free.

1 Like

Thanks for all your info…sounds like you had a fab time! We usually stay at WL and absolutely love it :grinning: I really like the sound of the AKL but it’s a bit remote for us which is a shame…