Why don't you go to Universal Studios?

As I’ve discussed in other threads, we’ve been to Universal Twice. First time, it was to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. We saw it. Had fun. Then said we wouldn’t likely go back. But, they build Diagon Alley, so we went back. Same story.

It isn’t that it isn’t fun, and the theming isn’t great. Because it is. But when it comes to AMUSEMENT parks (that is thrill rides), Universal just doesn’t hold a candle to places like Cedar Point, Six Flags, King’s Island. And, when it comes to being a THEME park, other than Harry Potter, it is certainly no Disney.

Furthermore, after a while, all the rides kind of feel the same. There are at the moment TWO decent coasters (I don’t really count The Mummy as a coaster, even though it is half coaster, I suppose). Other than that, you pretty much get 3D/4D ride experiences throughout. They are cool and all, but they start to feel the same. And some, such as Transformers, it just a frenetic mess. Not really fun. Spider-Man is better (although also kind of frenetic).

I wouldn’t say I’m DOWN on Universal, but it is just that for how much it costs, I can get much better thrill rides elsewhere at half the price, and I can get much better FAMILY rides at Disney.

DIsney, however, has so much to offer, so many different experiences, so much HAPPINESS, that we always leave wishing we had more time to do more. 6 days at Disney, and we still wish we could do more. 2 Days is all you need, however, at Universal. We did four this year…but we left by 2:30-3:00 pm each day. We did everything, including several things more than once, twice, three times.

I think the other thing is that the thrill rides they have aren’t really unique,. Rip Ride Rocket is. The best ride on Universal property, IMO. But many other rides are just themed versions of rides we can do anywhere. Disney, however, has mostly unique experiences.

Having said all that, it isn’t that there aren’t things Disney can’t improve on. But, the fact is, they are. Pandora, Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, and soon Tron & Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.

But I love the fact that almost EVERYTHING at Disney we can do as a family, even with very young kids. Everyone enjoys it, from the grown-ups down to the toddlers. And when we want a good coaster ride, we hit Cedar Point or King’s Island instead.

4 Likes

Hmm. You make some excellent points.

Universal is costing me $525 in tickets, plus maybe $120 in Uber fares over and above what I’d spend if I did WDW alone.

When I did the VIP tour last year I did think towards the end of the day (sarcastic voice) “Oh good. Another 3D motion simulator.”

That being said WWOHP is very cool, though I didn’t rate the rides. And Spider-Man and Kong blew me away because I’d never experienced anything remotely like them before.

I didn’t actually ride RRR because I’d read online reviews that put me off. I’m planning on correcting that mistake this time round.

If I do come back to Florida next year the plan is probably to skip UOR in order to cut costs a little.

1 Like

Loved Kong. Of all the motion simulator type rides there, it was definitely my favorite. (It took me two rides on it to realize the driver was actually animatronic!)

I loved Rip Ride Rocket, though. To me, the best ride in both parks. I’m a coaster fan, though. Still, I did the music override feature…press and hold the RRR logo for about 10 seconds, and then you can enter a 3-digit code to select one of the umpteen other song options…I picked I believe it was 991, which is “Movin’ Right Along” from The Muppet Movie. I also did Rainbow Connection from the Muppet Movie. Really surreal experience, but it was a blast.

2 Likes

RRR is good but very rough! Once is always enough for me, I feel like I’ve been beaten up. We did the secret song list too - I had Run to You by Bryan Adams. That said, I wish you could have no music as I find it distracts from the ride.

http://www.partythroughtheparks.com/coasters-coasters-blog/2010/11/14/hollywood-rip-ride-rockit-secret-audio-tracks.html

1 Like

I’ve heard people say this, and I don’t get it. It is super smooth. One of the smoother roller coasters I’ve been on, especially considering it’s age. I wonder if people are confusing airtime with roughness. Roughness is more like a vibration feel. Airtime is something coaster enthusiasts look for as a GOOD thing. :slight_smile:

I love coasters, I’m not confused at all. What I mean by roughness is that RRR smashes my head from side to side into the seat. The first time I rode it, it was relatively smooth. But every trip it gets rougher. The only other coaster I’ve ridden that bangs you about like that is the Smiler in the UK, but that’s not as bad as RRR.

1 Like

Hmm. I’m just perplexed. I rode it three or four times in February. I was explicitly paying attention to roughness since I had read people complain about it, and it wasn’t rough at all.

I’ve been on more than 100 coasters…possibly closer to 130 coasters now. I would put RRR in probably the top 20 in terms of smoothness. I do wonder if height plays any role. For example, there are some coasters that are head-bangers for my wife that aren’t for me because she’s 5’ tall, and I’m 5’ 10". If your head hits the restraints at just the right height, it can be more problematic.

That’s very possibly the reason, I’m 5’2.

I don’t go to Uni cuz my DD hates roller coasters. Maybe when she’s a teenager.

There are more coasters at Disney than at Universal. Universal only has 2 coasters (not including the kiddie coasters) and one SORT OF coaster (the Mummy). There used to be the Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge, but they tore that down and are building a new coaster instead.

I’m not suggesting you change waiting, just pointing out that coasters being a reason NOT to go really doesn’t apply, since Universal is actually coaster light. Even if you count kiddie coasters, Disney has 6 (7 once Toy Story Land opens), and Universal has 5, again, depending on if you count The Mummy as a coaster. (The coaster part of that ride is quite short.)

I agree that US is kind of the weird park that is not Disney-type rides and no longer has many true roller coasters. When I was a kid in CA, US was innovative (single day park) and actually a working backlot (this was before much of it burned down). I love roller coasters, and don’t think that Disney really has any true roller coasters except maybe Rockin Rollercoaster. But really, neither does USF…only Hulk and Rip Ride Rocket. The remainder are motion simulators, which I suspect are cheaper and move more people thru, but make me nauseated. And they generally get to be monotonous after a while. I can only handle about 5-6hrs before my brain needs a break. And I agree w/ @ryan that Transformers is a hot mess…won’t ride it again. The one thing USF (or IoA actually) does better is the water rides…just be prepared to get soaked and need to change clothes.

This brings up a good point…is there a park in the Orlando area that actually does roller coasters a la Cedar Point?

I have never been to Universal and have no plans to go ever. I have not even been to the Universal website to see what is there. I guess I just love the Disney bubble and when we do Disney we stay in the bubble the entire trip. My husband explains his love of Disney as a place where you can truly leave everything behind, a place to have fun that is safe and exciting.

I didn’t have a clue what was happening in Transformers!!

Well, it is hard to find a park in the entire WORLD that does coasters like Cedar Point. :wink: But there are a lot of great coaster parks within a day’s drive of us (Cedar Point is only 2 hours away). In Florida, you have Busch Gardens and, perhaps, SeaWorld, but they aren’t really great. I will say that Disney’s Expedition Everest is, to me, a world-class coaster…which is impressive considering a 6-year-old can ride it. But I feel that of all the coasters at both Disney and Universal, it is my favorite. RRR is my second, and THEN Rockin’ Roller Coaster.

Not Hulk? I think that’s the best in either WDW or UOR.

Manta and Kraken at SW are brilliant too, we don’t go anymore so I haven’t ridden Mako, though I’d love to.

I like a few of the coasters at BG but don’t remember the names.

Hulk is just like too many (better) coasters in other parks. It is fine for what it is, but not really unique, other than the uphill launch (which isn’t really all that unique these days). I was surprised, actually, that when they redid it, all they did was retrack the same layout, rather than give us something special. Don’t get me wrong, it is fun. We rode it twice. But if I had to choose just ONE coaster to ride at Universal or Disney, I’d pick Expedition Everest. Great ride. Unique experience.

I have learned, however, that ranking coasters is highly subjective. There are few that will come out near the top for most enthusiasts (such as CP’s Millennium Force, for example, or Goliath at Six Flags Great America, or The Beast at King’s Island), but what does it for one person doesn’t for another. I’m less drawn to the multi-inversion style coasters that Hulk embodies and more about the speed and airtime thrills, etc.

2 Likes

Yes it’s very subjective. I’ve never been to a Six Flags etc.

Smiler, you just feel happy if you leave the ride with all the legs you started with. (What? Too soon?)

That’s what makes it such a good IP ride — it’s exactly the same as the movies. A massive blur of incomprehensible action.

2 Likes

We rope dropped it a couple of weeks ago, the first train went off no problem and then it broke down. 15 mins later we were in the front row and I don’t think I’ve ever been so scared in my life!