Why does this seem so hard?

DLR is tiny compared to WDW. With 5 days, you will have time to leisurely enjoy the parks and get on rides multiple times. With so many days, I don’t think you even have to prioritize for DLR only rides first.

I’m meeting DD24 at DLR on Tuesday for 2 days and she’s supposed to lay out some plans. Tonight, I got a list of must eat Halloween treats! More seriously, we will probably start left at DL and work our way counterclockwise, using Genie+ as needed. For CA, we’ll probably start at Carsland and go from there, using Genie+ as needed.

I think, like @Limace said, it may be challenging to get ADR for 8 people. Some of the sit downs are rather small. I just stalked the website. The only reservations for November 8 for 8 people is at Goofy’s Kitchen for dinner. If I changed it to 6 people, a bunch of other places open up. You may want to play with it before your ADR reservation date.

Did I say that DLR is tiny compared to WDW? Well, the seating areas for QS may be challenging for 8 people also.

I agree with the foods already recommended. I would add that we love the following also:

• Bengal Barbecue for skewers

• Ronto Roasters for Ronto wraps

• Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe for Fresh Raspberry Macaron, Toasted Cheese Sandwich with Tomato Basil Soup

5 Likes

I am right there with you - so I am totally going to spy on this thread.

3 Likes

In DCA it’s the Festival of the Holidays so there’ll be food booths there that would make for a great snack a lot to make a full lunch. Good idea for a quick service lunch that I’m planning on Nov 11-17 visit.

Also, right on the 60 day mark at 8am my time so 6am Cali time I got a ping on my phone for the Skyline Terrace fireworks viewing which I’ve booked. I think I’d prefer the Plaza Inn one for the view in front of the castle though so I’ll still holding out they’ll release that. Today my Uva Bar came through at 8am so 6am Cali time exactly on the 60 day mark. WOC Dessert Party did not come through on 60 days…it came at 55 days and at 4am my time (ping ping, wake up Jenny!!! said my phone at 4am!) so I cannot imagine west coasters at 2am. So weird but that’s how DLR is with dining. None of the my other choices are open yet and I’m past 60 days for all of them. I’d prefer the Plaza Inn fireworks so I’ve got a res finder for that, also have one for for the lunch for the Christmade Parade. I’m also waiting on the River Belle Terrace Fantasmic Premium dining and La Brea (I’ve wanted to eat forever and never have) and Carthay Circle (also been wanting to eat here forever). I didn’t mind that DLR was so bad at actually being on time with their ADRs back when it was easy to get them but post covid it’s much harder. So for DLR I think it’s even more important to use a reservation finder if something is super important to you because last time I wasn’t able to ever get Carthay Circle because it probably dropped at 4am and by the time I checked when I woke up that day it was gone and it never ever opened. This time I preset up my reservation finders before the 60 day mark and I’m glad even though my phone dang at 4am! Does touringplans res finder work at DL?

One last thing (don’t know how much of a DLR veteran you are). Fireworks get cancelled A LOT in Cali. It’s always too windy up high. I have seen them less times than I’ve waited by more than half. I once waited two nights in a row and nada…the one night I had WOC planned they actually went off. SMH. It can be frustrating and if you book Skyliner Terrace or the Plaza Inn version should those become available, it clearly states they are nonrefundable.

Oh yeah, I chose the WOC Dessert Party this time because I’ve done the dining and I still couldn’t see more than half the stuff you’re supposed to cuz I’m 5’5". The Dessert party comes with bar or counter height tables and chairs in that area so I chose that this time because I thought nice to sit and probably makes it more likely I can actually see the show as its intended to be seen.

I really loved the Fantasmic Dessert party they used to do back in the day for this reason. It was center and had chairs. I could clearly see the whole thing. I am concerned for the River Belle Terrace side view but I’m gonna give it a shot because I know standing in the crowd even in the reserved dining area I probably will see even less. I love these shows but I wish Disney had planned seating better.

2 Likes

I actually love Blue Bayou, especially if you get a waterside table. I go at lunch for the Monte Cristo. I think if you just want dessert, just do dessert. Restaurants are for us to enjoy and eat what we want, not be intimidated into ordering more because it’s a hard to get reservation. If you work hard and get up early in the morning to snag this or stalk the site to get it, eat what you want!

I haven’t eaten at Lamplight Lounge since it was its previous version but I liked it there too.

Napa Rose is hands down the best dining in DLR…DO IT! The dinner is phenomenal as is the Princess Brunch. Even if you don’t have kids, do the brunch!

Storytellers is a good brunch and better than Goofy’s as is a solid choice.

Plaza Inn - the breakfast is meh but there are sooooo many characters. Like 10 or something insane. And sometimes hard to find ones. So if you love characters, hands down it’s a great choice. Also, once I couldn’t get a reservation here and then I called the dining line. They said that they reserve a small number of reservations for resort guests, so if you can’t get this online, try the dining phone line.

Wine Country Trattoria - I recommend this place too. It’s a solid choice.

Carnation Cafe - for me it’s a breakfast choice because they have the HUGE mickey waffles for $10-$15.

Goofy’s Kitchen is meh to me…one and done.

Trader Sam’s is alright food wise, not memorable to me. But The atmosphere is superb.

2 Likes

Jeff and I and some others once listed this on here… @Jeff_AZ I can’t find the post…can you?

But I will say with respect to SWGE, I prefer this version to WDW’s for the land itself. I like the layout better. But yes the rides are mirror images (though I’ve had more luck with Kylo working in DL than in WDW).

Rides that are only in DLR or significantly different or better:
Disneyland
Fantasyland:

1. Alice in Wonderland
  2. Casey Jr. Circus Train
  3. Fantasyland Theater currently showing Tale of the Lion King
  4. it’s a small world (both for the disney characters and the holiday version when you’re going) oh yeah, and it does a holiday light show worth seeing after dark
  5. Matterhorn Bobsleds
  6. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
  7. Pinocchio’s Daring Journey
  8. Pixie Hollow (I like to just walk thru here at night when the characters aren’t out)
  9. Royal Theater at Fantasy Faire (I’ve only seen the Tangled show but there are two. I think the first three of the day are one and the next three are different. The Tangled one was cute and the other one is Beauty and the Beast)
  10. Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough (try to open the door in the top floor, midway down on your left. It looks like a creepy old door)
  11. Snow White’s Enchanted Wish
  12. Storybook Land Canal Boats

Tomorrowland:

1. Autopia is better here than Speedway
  2. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters is better here. The ride is the same but the guns are different.
  3. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
  4. Space Mountain (I prefer this version)

Frontierland:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is better here
  2. Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island has these neat interactive piratey effects in the caves
  3. Sailing Ship Columbia

Critter Country:

1. Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes

Main Street, U.S.A.:

1. Disneyland Railroad is far superior to the WDW version
  2. The Disneyland Story, Presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
  3. Main Street Cinema

Adventureland:

1. Indiana Jones Adventure (I think this is my favorite ride in the park)
  2. Tarzan’s Treehouse if it’s open by then

New Orleans Square

1. The Haunted Mansion Holiday
  2. Pirates of the Caribbean (significantly better than WDW)

Toontown will still be closed but it has some different rides.

I prefer DL’s Fantasmic to WDW’s. I don’t know if the Christmas parades are the same or if they do the same Christmas fireworks? There are lots of live performers in DLR not in WDW like the New Orleans performers and their is a Fantaysland band called The Pearl band.

DCA:

Buena Vista Street:

1. Red Car Trolleys
  2. Mickey’s Happy Holidays show
  3. Five & Dime show

Hollywood Land:

1. Turtle Talk with Crush is a different version here
  2. Sorcerer’s Workshop is a fun walkthrough/interactive exhibit
  3. Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!
  4. If there are any live shows in Hyperion Theater or the Hollywood Backlot Stage

Avengers Campus (I mean everything here is unique)

1. Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: Breakout
  2. WEB SLINGERS - A Spider Man Adventure
  3. The Amazing Spider-Man (I’m aiming to see this and hopefully he won’t crash!)
  4. Avengers Assemble
  5. Warriors of Wakanda: The Disciplines of the Dora Milage
  6. Dr. Strange: Mysteries of the Mystic Arts (I’m aiming to see this after dark as it’s supposed to have neat lighting effects)

Pixar Pier:

1. Incredicoaster
  2. Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind
  3. Jessie’s Critter Carousel
  4. Pixar Pal-a-round

Paradise Gardens Park:

1. Golden Zephyr
  2. Goofy’s Sky School
  3. Jumpin’ Jellyfish (not that I recommend you ride it…)
  4. Silly Symphony Swings
  5. Disney Viva Navidad Party
  6. Live musical performances for the holiday at the Paradise Garden Bandstand
  7. Mariachi Divas
  8. Holiday Toy Drummers

Cars Land (everything)

1. Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters (has a Christmas overlay)
  2. Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree (has a Christmas overlay)
  3. Radiator Springs Racers (best ride in the park)

Pacific Wharf

1. The Bakery Tour
  2. Live holiday performers on the stage set up there

Grizzly Peak:

1. Grizzly River Run
  2. Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (with Santa meet and greet)

World of Color - Seasons of Light

7 Likes

See the post below for my list. That whole thread has lots of good info for WDW veterans who are visiting DLR for the first time.

4 Likes

Also found this to give you some idea of the different perspectives of the fireworks:
(60) Believe…In Holiday Magic MEGA MIX | Goosebumps Guaranteed Full Spectacular @Disneyland! - YouTube

There is a clip after the 6 minute mark of what I think is the Skyline Terrace view. It’s really just the fireworks from there with no other effects. Honestly, in front of small world looks the best for digital displays, followed by main street. And right in front of the castle looks the best in general. I think I’m gonna cancel the Skyline Terrace. If I can’t get a Plaza Inn section, I’m just gonna hold out my spot (but I’m just one person compared to your 8! and don’t have littles)

2 Likes

Just to clarify re above-the Fantasmic dinner designated viewing areas are seated on the ground, not standing (except for Riverbelle premium which is at tables but inferior view).

1 Like

I agree with this, however if your personality is anything like mine, you will feel much less stressed the rest of the time if you knock out as many rides as you can that first day. Then you will be able to relax and enjoy the remaining days.

At least make sure you hit your absolute must-dos early in your trip that your family would be disappointed if you leave without riding. Maintenance and other issues could pop up unexpectedly.

6 Likes

Words of wisdom always coming through your keyboard!

4 Likes

Sounds like an awesome trip with a good amount of time to see and do a lot! If I were you, I’d hit Craftsman Grill on arrival day. It was a big hit with my group and seems like it meets your mom’s criteria. Also, we had great Fantasmic! seats, albeit on the ground, with our Hungry Bear box meal a few years ago and the price point felt more tolerable than the other options. I don’t love the food at River Belle and don’t find the seats there to be all that great.

1 Like

We have travelled to WDW as a group of 8 a couple of times together. Other than my DA on occasion keeping the youngest at the hotel, we all stick together. Certainly for meals. I think I’ve read something about the hotels having a separate pool of ADRs or something? Who do I call to access that? And when? We’re staying on DVC points if that matters.

The oldest of my 4 kids is 10, which is probably why we all stick together. Keep the ratio 1:1! :laughing:

I don’t think I was aware of this. Thank you!

Which res finder did you use?

I’m pretty sure I have that one bookmarked!

Does anyone have any experience with ECVs in this section? My DA will have one.

I think that will be me.

Thank you for all the amazing input everyone!

2 Likes

I am booking our trip for 8 right now and have only seen two restaurants-Plaza and Goofy’s kitchen-show reservations for a party that large. Three days in a row.

1 Like

That’s where I’m hoping being a resort guest will come in handy. Hopefully they can help me get 2 tables at the same time when necessary.

I don’t have any specific advice besides don’t stress too much. I can pretty much guarantee you will have a great time at Disneyland no matter what plan you come up with or how closely you stick to it. That’s something I wouldn’t necessarily be able to say about WDW these days.

We were there on almost those exact dates last year. Except for vaguely following optimized touring plans on our first full day at DL and first half day at DCA, and our handful of dining reservations, we mostly just winged it. You aren’t going to know what you’ll want to do again (and again, and again…) until you’ve done it the first time.

6 Likes

We had nine last October and at many restaurants I booked a table for four and a table for five and then once there asked if they could put us together. They always could.

Btw this is a pain because you have to use two accounts to do it or it thinks you already have one and won’t let you book another and you have to find close to the same time for both reservations but i was successful last year except Carthay circle.

3 Likes

I use mousewatcher because it had more things like the dessert parties for fireworks that mousedining did not.

3 Likes

WDW is totally a puzzle that you get to figure out & I love planning it like that. But DL with its much less planning is a choose your own adventure that unfolds with even more magic than you could possibly have planned. Having basic bones structure and only that is :100: recommended.
My plans tend change frequently anyway partly because so many things in DL unfold with such short notice so I try never to plan more than half of a trip (that way we have plenty of buffer time fit in all the extras that we find). So as long as you have your park days reserved, know which harder to get dining you’re doing at 60 days & know what your must do’s are, you’re in really good shape.

And disclaimer here, I’m diving in here to give you day by day advice now without reading the whole thread (or your whole post in its entirety yet), but I have lots of info for you so wanted to get it out rather than come back and tackle more of this and read the whole thing so sorry if anything is a repeat.

For 12/4

Almost all of the dining options at GCH are really accessible as hotel guests. The one QS (Craftsman Grill) has mobile order, the Hearthstone Lounge is walk-up & had great flatbread options (and we loved the one we picked the charcuterie pizza) & 2/3 table service restaurants (Storytellers & Craftsman Bar - different and separate than Craftsman Grill but very similar menus) may even have availability on the app to join the walk-up list. And even if the app doesn’t have availability, ask as a hotel guest and check if they can accommodate you. Storytellers will do brunch until 1:30 (maybe 2:30?). And if none of those menus suit you or you want back-up options in DTD there’s Black Tap and Napoli’s that are great and would be “on the way” so to speak.

Solid agree with this.

If you’re getting G+ for the day, start getting rides to stack for the ones that are available that you know are at or near the top of your must do list (to get them accomplished early & leave room to re-ride). In between any G+ (or if you aren’t getting it) take in ambiance/shows/walk-in attractions. Some of our favorites in this category are: Train, Fire Station, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln and the whole lobby with the exhibition of Disneyland history and the neighboring Disneyana Gallery with lots of fun Disney art to peruse, Storytelling at the Royal Theater, Tiki Room, Royal Hall (princess meet) & any other character meets you happen along on the way.

ETA for a couple tips for your arrival day that I thought of right as I hit reply. First, do any rides in between those ambiance/walk-in attractions that have lines you’re willing to wait in (for us that’s usually 20-25 minutes unless it’s an e-ticket thriller then maybe we up that to 45 min). And secondly, I totally forgot one or our favorite walk-throughs: The Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough, it’s a beautiful re-telling in dioramas and a few fun small special effects of Sleeping Beauty’s story and not to be missed for any Disney or fairy tale fan.

4 Likes

One thing I want to stress that is different from WDW:

Since you can’t book a LL until you are inside a park, return times tend to get distributed more slowly in the morning. So if you can knock out the 3-4 most in-demand LL attractions in the morning, whether through LL, early entry, rope drop, or early morning low waits, you will be in great shape for the rest of the day. LL return times for the remaining attractions will likely be immediate.

Also, locals tend to show up for the evening for parades, fireworks, nighttime shows, etc. So morning time is much more productive and essential at DLR than WDW, where everyone seems to wake up early and rope drop.

4 Likes

I will add a thought as a WDW planner who loves, loves, loves DLR. The sheer size difference of these two parks makes pivoting and being spontaneous so much easier at DLR. Especially with you staying so conveniently at GCH. It is all right there.

The parks themselves also have more of a spontaneous feel. There are more random characters walking around. Its easy to just get drawn into something random to see.

On a different note. My first visit to Disneyland, I continuiusly got disoriented because the relationship of frontierland, adventurland, critter country and new orleans square feels like it should be similar to WDW with liberty square, adventureland and frontierland. But it isn’t. Just enough different to be disorienting. I heard they were doing some renovations to smooth this out (this would be great) but my first visit I would perpetually get turned around near the fantasmic stage area. So have patience learning a new layout and by day 2 you will be fine. And DCA is a breeze.

6 Likes