Who has a take on Christmas week this year at WDW?

So, we just got back two days ago, and we are already thinking about going back again in Dec and taking the kids with us for a surprise trip/present. We’re beyond casual thought and now to the more “serious” thought. Who has experience with Christmas week at WDW? I know COVID will put a kink in things and they won’t quite be the same. But we are trying to decide between 12/19-12/26, or 12/29-1/5. Kids go back to school on Jan 6, so would have to be home by then. What would you do?

We went to WDW two times during Christmas week, and absolutely loved it. It is a beautiful time of year, but very busy. What it will be like this year is anyone’s guess. If we weren’t in the middle of a pandemic, I would wholeheartedly recommend.

I wouldn’t want to go, though.

2 Likes

My husband has been thinking about going in on Thanksgiving Day… I’m not sure about that

1 Like

We went this past winter, 12/26-1/2 at WDW and then Universal 1/3-5. The weather was much cooler than any other time we usually go (which we loved! We got to wear sweaters and didn’t sweat!) We did have Club level FPP as well, which made for a very easy trip despite the crowds. We went to HS during the day and then to Epcot around 7pm on NYE, it was fabulous. The atmosphere was awesome, I didn’t really find it that crowded. We found our spot for the fireworks maybe 20 minutes before midnight close to the IG exit. As soon as they were over we headed out the exit and onto the first boat of the New Year over to the Swan. I would recommend if you go over NYE to stay at a resort you can walk to from wherever you are NYE (so basically CR/BLT or any Epcot resort). We took the boat but only because we got out of the park so fast and got the first boat, we would have just walked if that hadn’t happened. NYD we went to AK and then to MK, no issues at either. I really expected much higher crowds. Our friends went to MK on NYE and said it was terribly packed, they wished they had gone to Epcot.
Many thought we were nuts to go over the holidays, but I am so glad we did it.

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear that park selection can make a difference. We don’t care what park we are in on what day, as long as it’s a Disney park!

1 Like

I saw pics from friends in EC on Xmas day… woozer… crowded.

We have been over the holidays (New Years). I would absolutely do it again–it was crowded but magical and we were realistic with our expectations. But a lot of the things that were magical aren’t happening this year and the park hours are not nearly as long as they usually are over the holidays. If you are okay the reduced park hours and holiday offerings, then go for it.

2 Likes

I don’t know why crowds would be higher this year. They still have park capacity reduced and reservations required. So I expect the parks, over Christmas, to be about the same as weekend crowds are now.

2 Likes

Im hoping this too! And I expect you to be correct :grin: Im actually going 2 days b4 u! I will post pics of crowds when I get there Sunday.

1 Like