Which Airport?

I am flying with 2 teenagers, an 8 year old and a 5 year old and will be looking at flights with Southwest for early June when the become available at the end of this month. I have taken a look at flights to SNA, LAX and Burbank durring the Spring break timeframe and it looks like Burbank is cheapest, which with payng for 5 flights will add up. Is there anything else I should be considering? I plan to rent a car and we wont be doing parks on our travel days.

1 Like

I’m sure you are aware that there possibly will be heavy traffic between the airport and DL. Other than that I don’t see anything else to consider.

1 Like

In general, I would always choose John Wayne (SNA) if possible because it is the closest and least traffic. Traffic doesn’t just equate to time - LA traffic is one of the most stressful experiences and can put a damper on the start and end of your vacation. Going through downtown can take anywhere from 40 minutes to 2 hours or more.

That said, Burbank is a lovely little airport and if it’s cheaper, I’d definitely pick it over LAX. Burbank is also a little further away from Disney but you can get through security faster and everything is much more condensed - less walking / no shuttles.

LAX is not as horrible as it used to be - parts of the airport have been refurbished recently and if I remember correctly, Southwest’s terminal is pretty good. If it’s your only option or is cheaper, I wouldn’t shy away from it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I am a little worried about traffic and will definitely be taking that into consideration when buying tickets.

1 Like

I will def have to compare SNA when I purchase, the prices seem to vary a lot even to the same airport on the same day. Thanks!

1 Like

I live in Northern California (technically 6.5 hours from Anaheim driving). Before my two kids went to college in Southern California, Irvine and San Diego, we used to drive to Anaheim at least once a year. For the last 3 year, we have driven up and down the state 2-3 times a year because they are in college. Most of the time, we would come to a stand still around Santa Clarita (north of Burbank) and it would be bumper to bumper all the way to Santa Fe Springs, just north of Anaheim. And we are usually going south through those areas between 1 PM and 3 PM, not during traffic “hour”

The traffic between Burbank and Anaheim, more often than not IS bumper to bumper. The reverse traffic, from Anaheim to Burbank is also true. It can be stressful if you are trying to catch a flight.

Santa Ana is a small airport, a stone’s throw from Anaheim. It is very easy to get to and around. My son flies in and out of Santa Ana. Even the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, he said that it was easy to get to Santa Ana. The car rental is just across the street. We have stayed in Santa Ana while visiting Disneyland.

Have you considered the Long Beach airport? We haven’t used it but my sister-in-law uses it when they go to Disneyland because it is cheaper than Santa Ana. Check it out.

3 Likes

Early morning and late evening flights are always cheaper. The mid day and late afternoon flights tend to be expensive. Day of the week also matters. It is more expensive to fly on Fridays and Sundays.

1 Like

Long Beach is more expensive, and has no non-stop flights for the week I have been using to expiriment with. I will def check again when booking my real dates though. SNA is actually looking more promising now that I have messed with days a bit.

2 Likes

I’ve never flown to Burbank, but have flown to LAX, SNA, and LGB many times. SNA is by far the easiest to get to DLR, but we usually end up flying to LAX due to cost.

The other thing I would consider is the rental car price and availability. LAX has way more rental cars available than the smaller airports, so we’ve had much better luck getting the car we reserved there compared to at SNA and LGB. If that’s important, just something to consider.

1 Like

Since I dont plan park days when we are traveling I am not too worried about times, I had originally planned to fly on Friday, but if moving it one day makes a difference I will have to reconsider.

1 Like

Oh, I will have to check rental car prices, I hadn’t considered that that might also make a big difference.

1 Like

People like Autoslash.com for car rental. I tend to use Costco Car Rental. But I did check Autoslash a few times for our WDW trip in December. I am still using Costco. It was either cheaper or on par.

1 Like

We are blessed that we get direct flights to all Southern CA airports fro OAK, 20 minutes from our house.

1 Like

We have direct flights from PHX to most SoCal airports. We are about 6 hours away though so if it’s more than just me and / or DW, we usually drive.

I agree, for the family, you might as well drive. It’s less of a hassle. You can take our attitude of ‘if it fits in the car, it’s going!’

1 Like

We flew into SNA, very compact compared to our home airport (at the time), O’Hare. We used a car service to get to and from the airport.

I typically find rental cars are cheaper at Santa Ana than at LAX. You could also consider Ontario, although probably not a lot of direct flights going there.

I would avoid LAX at all cost.
SNA is always our choice.
Don’t know about Burbank.

1 Like