Where To Dine or Not to Dine?

We will have a car. We plan on using it to drive to most resort dining reservations, and probably HS and Epcot. We will use the bus for MK and also AK since we are staying at AK Jambo House.

H&V gets rave reviews from one of my favorite bloggers (Disney Tourist Blog) so that is why I have it on there. That and Fantasmic. But I’m getting lots of conflicting reviews from others.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts.

I would probably choose only one between Sanaa and Boma as well, however we are staying at AK Jambo House and so figured those were two options that would be easy and convenient and that I have also seen great reviews for. Tusker House I want to do for the characters and will probably go for it for Breakfast instead to get a little variety. Would love to try and get it as a pre-park opening breakfast if we can.

We did Chef Mickey’s last time. We did it in the brunch slot. I honestly really enjoyed it. I just figured we should try something different this time around and HV seemed like a good alternative and we could use it for Fantasmic seating. I chose it cause I read a really good review of it from one of my favorite bloggers (Disney Tourist Blog) but have since ready many conflicting reviews so I am torn.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts! I think I’m starting to lean towards not doing Chefs de France. Not because I don’t really want to but because A. I’ve heard they are no longer on the Dining plan and B. I’m thinking some of the sit down places in world showcase would just be too hard with kids, especially as a dinner. But hopefully some day when we return either without kids or when they are older we will do it!

1 Like

How many days is this over? Seven? Do you want two sit down meals on some days? Are the meals as much of a draw as the rides and attractions?

I’ve only been to a few of the ones you’ve listed, but they all look good. I would probably select based on schedule…

1 Like

Disney Tourist Blog is also my favourite and I mostly agree with food reviews. H&V is one of an exceptions, however.
The food was very average when we were there 3 years ago. But, if the priority is Fantasmic and meeting characters, this is still a decent choice.
I would keep it if fits well into schedule, just don’t have too high expectations about the food.

1 Like

I like his reviews and agree with most of them, but not that one. I feel the only reason to go to H&V is the characters.

If I recall correctly his review was for seasonal dining period with different food choices and even characters.

1 Like

We are staying at AKL next week. I understand wanting Sanaa and Boma for convenience. We are doing both. We are doing Sanaa for dinner (bread service!) and Boma for breakfast. We figured that would provide more variety.

1 Like

I think you are correct about that.

1 Like

He did a review of the Halloween one, which is the time frame we will be there. He said the food was better than Chef Mickey’s but from what I hear that could not be saying much. lol

I’ll have to weigh it. Minnie isn’t at Tusker house and I know my girls will want to see Minnie and I want an easy way to do Fantasmic without using a Fast Pass. But maybe it would be better to just wing it with Fantasmic and do Sci-Fi or 50’s Prime Time Cafe at HS instead…

1 Like

Our trip is 9 nights and 10 Days. We are planning on getting the Disney Dining Plan.

Day 1: Travel Day. Staying off property this night. T-Rex at DS for dinner oop
Day 2: HS (QS in Galaxy’s Edge for Lunch; Hollywood and Vine or something else for Dinner)
Day 3: Epcot (Akershus for Lunch; QS for Dinner)
Day 4: MK (Two Quick Service Meals)
Day 5: Rest Day/Resort Day (Tratorria al Forno Breakfast and Boma for Dinner)
Day 6: HS (Quick Service Lunch, Sanaa for Dinner oop)
Day 7: Rest Day/Resort Day (Make food in the villa for brunch; Dinner at O’Hanna)
Day 8: AK (Tusker House for Breakfast; Quick Service for Dinner)
Day 9: MK (Be Our Guest Quick Service Breakfast and Storybook at AP for Farewell Dinner)
Day 10: Fly home (we are staying near the airport for our last night to catch an early morning flight back)

At this point I think it is down to trying to decide weather I should keep O’Hana Dinner and HV dinner or swap both out for something else…

1 Like

If you’re open to throwing a bit of money at the problem, have you thought about the Fantasmic Dessert thing? It’s reasonably cheap (possibly cheaper than paying out of pocket for a meal) and you get a dessert box and the same VIP seating area as the dinner package.

2 Likes

Interesting. I’ll have to look into that!

There are other restaurants that participate in the fantasmic dining package as well. We’ve eaten at mama melrose before - 2x in fact, so it’s repeat worthy where as H&V was one and done (yuck).

1 Like

In September with great granddaughters - 8, 7 & might as well say 5 - we did a number of restaurants for them specifically.

1900 Park Fare we did for supper. Mostly for the adults and because of Lady Tremaine. Great granddaughters had a blast with all the characters and loved the food. Years ago, when our granddaughter was maybe 12, she was not a fan of the loud rambunctious Mad Hatter at the 1900 Park Fare breakfast.

We also did Akershus at supper. I’m not sure the girls ate anything since the princesses were there. Two of us choose the salmon entree, which was very good.

A non character restaurant which has traditionally been a hit is Marrakesh at Morocco. We like the food, the friendly service is wonderful and what little girl doesn’t like belly dancing ! ? !! Our nearly 5 year old was in heaven. I’m so glad I was able to capture that look on her face as she danced.

The girls - all of us really - enjoyed our breakfast more at Cape May than at Tusker House. Generally I like the food at TH but the tables are too close together and the noise level is a mess. I think the girls ate better at Cape May and we had better character interaction with Cape May’s table arrangement.

As much as they like princesses girls thoroughly enjoyed Chip and Dale and Pluto at Garden Grill at lunch. They loved that the restaurant revolved and I loved the mac and cheese. Maybe it was a good day but that was the best I’ve had in maybe ever.

In your list I’d trim H&V and TH but you want them for the pkgs. H&V used to be a must do. It’s fallen out of our favor despite liking Doc McStuffins because we just didn’t care about the food or the other characters.

I’d love to eat at Storybook dining because my sister’s a villain fan. I keep looking at that menu and keep being unimpressed. Especially compared to 1900 Park Fare supper.

My vote (not that I get one)is to go ahead and do H&V for the Fantasmic plan. It is nice to have the reserved seating, it’s in a great area. Anything is worth trying once, and with DDP H&V-Fantasmic is a good value. MM is spotty also and HBD is two credits, not worth it. We usually do MM-Fantasmic if paying OOP but our last time there was not great. We ate at HBD last weekend and none of the entrees interested us, we just ordered a combo of appetizers. Which you can’t do on DDP.

1 Like

When you first posted I checked Chefs de France and as you said it was not showing dining plan but I just checked again and it is now.

1 Like

We are doing Hollywood and Vine Breakfast Fantasmic package (feel like breakfast is the safer option there), and then taking the Gondolas over to Riviera for their Quick Service for late lunch/early dinner. Basically in the same boat as you…we don’t want to burn a fastpass on fantasmic but want to see it and have good seats.