Where else do you vacation when not at Disney?

We love Disney, but we do take vacations elsewhere. We visit east TN a lot (Smoky Mountains). The past four years we have done trips to Europe–we have another one planned for June.

No problem! We now stay at my mother-in-law’s house as she actually has 3 homes and one of them is there. It is free for us and is gorgeous, overlooking a mountain stream. Before she got the home though, we would always rent a cabin. It was nice and rustic, peaceful, and often cheaper than hotels! We always went through “Greybeard Rentals.” They have never steered us wrong! Enjoy your trip!

1 Like

Thanks! Filing this info away for our next trip!

@Beth33 we love Acadia, and coastal ME, that was our first “real” vacation, before kids. Stayed in Bar Harbor and ate so much lobster we might have grown claws!

Disney used to be our most frequent big trip destination but not for the last few years.

We’ve been taking the kids on vacation since they were little (one of them was born on vacation, but that’s a different story). We’ve been to Hawaii many times, love the Big Island the best. We go skiing a lot, even though we live near a ski resort we travel to Jackson Hole and Big Sky fairly often. I guess we’ve been to a lot of National Parks- Yellowstone a couple of times a year, generally but we’re not really traveling to get there, it’s almost literally our backyard. And Canada.

We vacation all over the US, wherever we find ourselves, due to the kids going to school/interviewing all over the country. I really love road trips, there is so much to do and see everywhere you look! On our way from DD24’s graduation in NC to WDW, we’ll be stopping in Savannah. If it were up to me I’d stop at every historical marker, museum and state park but DH won’t have it. :wink:

More recently, for big trips we’ve been going to Europe, Japan. Probably Germany next, my plan is Slovenia (where my grandparents were from) northern Italy, Switzerland and on up the Rhine.

3 Likes

Someday I’d like to drive across the country and see National Parks. I am a big fan of natural wonders.

We have done the state beaches every summer (I am in New Jersey, USA, home of “Jersey Shore,” although I don’t go to that particular beach) since I was 8, and I won’t stop now.

We probably can’t afford to do Disney again for several years if ever, so we may start planning some cheaper getaways (aka, anywhere else on earth besides Disney) for the next few.

1 Like

Have you done Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg? These are on my list too- I had planned on taking the kids in April this year but we had so much travel for DD’s cheer competitions that I was traveled out.

1 Like

Yes to both–many times. There’s a lot to do in the area.

3 Likes

My kids LOVE atlantis, lots of activities for kids, it gives you that nice “disney” feel but you get all the beach fun as well!

2 Likes

We also have been to Nassau, Bahamas - the Atlantis Resort many times. We love it there! There is so much to see and do there. The water park is fabulous!

1 Like

For all you folks who are talking about touring the National Parks, look into getting the America the Beautiful Pass.

An annual pass costs $80, and covers entrance fees at national parks and national wildlife refuges as well as standard amenity fees (day use fees) at national forests and grasslands, and at lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. A pass covers entrance, standard amenity fees and day use fees for a driver and all passengers in a personal vehicle at per vehicle fee areas (or up to four adults at sites that charge per person). Children age 15 or under are admitted free.

Big bonus if you are {ahem} of a certain age. U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over can get a lifetime pass for the same $80 fee.

5 Likes

We were there just last fall- just driving through. One does not just “drive through” Pigeon Forge, it’s like “walking into Mordor”. :rofl: I won’t tell you what my husband was calling the place by the time we left, but it was pretty hilarious. It did look like a super fun place to stop, if we’d had more time! We just had no idea how popular it was.

It’s like someone saying they’re going to take a “shortcut” through Yellowstone. I mean, all that open space, right? Haha, nope.

3 Likes

Yes, they are really a great deal! Also, If you are permanently disabled, you can get a lifetime pass for free at any age. You need a doctor’s note and to apply in person at any federal Ranger Station or official Park visitor Center. They are good for everyone in your vehicle, and you do have to show ID each time you use it.

Oh, driving along that main road through Pigeon Forge is awful at times (there is a way to avoid it). We like the area more for the National Park–we like to hike.

1 Like

We did a loop through the National Parks in/near the Rockies one year, it was a fantastic trip. Really, the best way to experience them is by camping- even if you can afford hotels you really may not want to. And camping is very inexpensive, once you get past the initial investment. Materials and technology have vastly improved, making it pretty darn comfortable, especially compared to the past. I mean, it’s nice to stay in the Awanee or Old Faithful Inn, but you’ll get a more fun & immersive experience in a tent.

Also, there are a variety of interesting old but well-maintained cabins etc. on Forest Service land that can be rented very inexpensively, I have friends who regularly rent fire lookouts that are no longer in use. You can imagine the view!

That’s what we were trying to do! We went hiking at Great Smoky Mountain National Park- we did make it and got a few hours in hiking before the very edge of Hurricane Florence hit. Of course, we were going in when everyone else was going out- but I told the ranger that we’re used to it- it’s not really weather unless it’s life-threatening. :smile: But we’re seasoned hikers and know how to assess risks, plus the park was still open so we figured it couldn’t be too bad, and it wasn’t. Just wet!

1 Like

That’s rather brave. There is some great hiking in the Smokies.

1 Like

I love camping! We will definitely do that once my daughter is a little older.

2 Likes

I’m late to this, since I was busy installing flooring.

But typically, we do amusement-park-based vacations.

In fact, next week, we’re going 2-nights and 2-days to Cedar Point/Hotel Breakers. (Never done an overnight visit there before since we live 2 hours away, so this will be fun staying on site.) This is our one and only vacation this year because we’re saving for two major vacations next year (Disney).

Last year was Universal.

We also did a vacation a few years back that was 5 amusement parks in 6 days (plus driving days). Six Flags Great America, King’s Island (2 days), Hershey Park, Six Flags Great Adventure, and Cedar Point.

We also did, one year, a trip to Branson, MO and did 3 days at Silver Dollar City. Loved that. We plan to return there probably in 2021.