When's a good time to check for new availability at sold-out WDW resorts?

Agree with what JJT just said.
Also, I don’t know why this would matter, but sometimes I get different options if I open and search under a private browser.

1 Like

Agreed!

I’ve been eyeing availability at Poly and CR for mid december, checking daily for a few weeks now. Both have been sold out but rooms have been popping up so that almost all types (aside from large suites) have been available at some point in the past month.

1 Like

As a follow up to this, your user name is showing ryan1 for me, so apparently the admin fixed it quickly.

3 Likes

The believe the 2 “offers” that refers to, at least when I get the same message, is Room Only or Package. I don’t have an AP but I still get the 2 offers language and those two flavors of booking (Room or Package) are the options that become available to view when there is a room open to book that shows pricing.

2 Likes

Yeah. I got on it right away and they took care of it.

Now you’ll never know my secret identity. (I have a famous brother, but I just go by Ryan Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt.)

4 Likes

Do you mean you shifted your whole date range earlier by one day, keeping the same number of nights—say, searching Nov 30 to Dec 4 instead of Dec 1 to Dec 5?

Or do you mean you extended your date range by a day to include one night earlier, e.g. searching Nov 30 to Dec 5 instead of Dec 1 to Dec 5?

Yes. :smiley:

All of those, with Disney IT you have to try all the iterations to see what happens.

In this particular search I tried moving both end and start dates independently and together a few times a day until I found something that made the extra end date pop up.

So, it turned out that trip both starting a day earlier and ending a day later made all the days available. I booked it, then I think called to cancel first day later. I figured a CM doing that might have less chance of a problem than my trying on the site, if it even let me.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is so baffling. Why would availability show up for a date range but not for a subset of those dates?? It doesn’t make any sense.

1 Like

Have you heard of the train wreck phenomenon called “Disney IT”? Because that’s why

3 Likes

It doesn’t.

Remember kids, you can’t spell “It Doesyn’t” without “Disney IT”!

5 Likes

Sometimes I’ve found the same thing at Universal. It’s a mystery to me.

1 Like

I don’t think it is a mistake on Disney’s part. I think they are trying to avoid phantom days…that is, single nights left in their inventory they can’t book. So, if offering availability for a set of dates leaves them with a single night, they would rather not book that. They would rather have someone book the extra single night included with the rest.

Of course, once you have the days booked, they can’t very well stop you from dropping that day, as suggested. But if the system doesn’t offer it to begin, most of the time people won’t know how to “outsmart” the system.

So…it doesn’t sound like a Disney IT glitch to me. It sounds intentional.

4 Likes

I had the same thought, but hoped that such a practice would be too diabolical even for 2022 Disney :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

I’m beginning to think you are spot on. I’m running into the same thing JJT did myself right now looking at potential reservations for next Feb and/or April. Even 7 months out some resorts show no availability, even during the presumably “slow” demand times of the year. But yet, if I tweak the start or end dates enough, some availability suddenly shows up.

Now that I’ve read what JJT did, I’m probably going to take the same approach: book & then cancel to get what I want. In the past I’ve gotten around this availability road block by booking another single night or two at a different resort for a split say. While we’ve found split stays to be fun at times, I can’t help but wonder if Disney might not have better luck taking a whole different approach … showing all available dates at all times. Kinda like what you see when looking at DVC rental “confirmed reservations” some brokers offer, if you get what I’m trying to say. I guess Disney is simply more experienced at all this than I am, and has already decided that idea doesn’t work out too good for them. An added complexity Disney adds to the mixture is that rack rates vary so much during the week for the same room. Sunday/Monday thru Wednesday then to be the least expensive. Thursday is often a higher cost. Friday and Saturday are even more. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like