When to arrive for RD?

I note that the Unofficial Guide recommends on-site guests arrive 30 minutes before ETPE time.
Has that been working for people or will that put us BOTM (Back Of The Mob)?

Worked for me at HS in December. I entered the park around 8:03 for 8:00 open and rode MMRR, ToT, TSMM in about 70 minutes.

1 Like

Worked for us as well in early December at MK, HS, and Epcot - planned to arrive 35-40 min before ETPE to be in the park about 30 min before. On day 1, I had to go through bag check and the security guard explained it was the case for my glasses in my fanny pack, and my battery pack in my small sling bag. Showed me how to hold them in my hands, arms extended in front of me when going through the detectors. Didn’t have to go through bag check again.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s good info!
There weren’t any detectors last time I was there. So, you have to remove all metal objects or you’ll be diverted to bag check?

Hello! You don’t need to remove all metal objects. My husband was able to keep everything in his pockets. They do recommend to take out umbrellas, cases for glasses, and things with wires that could look “weird” on their screen and may flag you for bag check. I was so happy we did not all have to line up for bag check anymore - there is a separate line for strollers, and the entire process was SO much faster than when we were there in fall 2018.

1 Like

I’d err on the side of caution. We weren’t trying to RD MK, but arrived just before 0830. We were in the RD crowd, but couldn’t see the front line. 5-10 mins seemed to make a huge difference. The plan was to go straight to PPF (TP said 8 min wait), but it was already at 60 mins at like 0835. Then DMIL took charge of the situation and suggested IASW… so there went our 30 min advantage. :roll_eyes: This was on a CL forecast 2 actual 5 day.

Also, don’t neglect the time it takes to walk to the rope. I can’t give great advice, because we didn’t successfully do it, but at least I can say what didn’t work.

2 Likes

A few rides are opening earlier than the 30 minutes prior to regular park opening these days (like an hour prior.) So if you do want to be first, be sure and get there a hour and 15 minutes prior to regular park opening.

1 Like

Hopping on, I see that the good old Our Laughing Place transportation calculator has retired. Is there a good alternative for estimating how long it’ll take to get from your hotel to the park?

And they constantly shout out what you should take out of your bag to avoid extra screening. It usually works

1 Like

Yes: us. :wink:

Where are you coming from and going to?

3 Likes

BWV, any of the parks! Got to start laying the groundwork to persuade a bunch of first timers that early rising is essential.

2 Likes

MK was the most frustrating of the parks… day one of ETPE we went straight to Fantasyland and then got ready before 9am to stand behind the rope close to the Rapunzel bathrooms… when we got to Adventureland, 6 rides were down and not opening at 9am (Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Splash, and 2 elsewhere in the park) - and because these are not available for EPTE, apparently they had not yet started to test them and you couldn’t tell they would be down at 9am. Went to Big Thunder and then Splash was opening. Second day we were going to MK in the morning we arrived 10 min earlier (so 40-45 min before ETPE).

2 Likes

That’s good to know. Last time I went, I think I just slid my Ticket into the turnstile and walked in.

ETA: My dinosaur got patted down but didn’t complain.

1 Like

The flip side of this, of course, is what time does Disney Transport start operating?
With like 30 resorts or something, there’s already gotta be a thread for that… isn’t there?

1 Like

Slid? A ticket? INTO the turnstile?

Man, it has been a minute hasn’t it?

We tap now, sir. Please advise your dinosaur accordingly.

4 Likes

There is and there’s a Liner-created spreadsheet too. Tag me later if I forget to send you the link. Or maybe someone else will provide it sooner. I’m not at my usual desk today so my “bookmarks” are not my own.

2 Likes

Thanks. Dino’s shopping for MBs as we speak.

1 Like

Fantastic!
Or should I say “wicked good” :grinning:
Thanks!

1 Like

Fairly appropriate use of that phrase. Partial credit granted

1 Like