When the planning is more aggravating than fun

Yesterday I was at 60 days until our trip and I could start making dining reservations. I was so excited and didn’t mind getting up early, it was only an hour from when I usually wake anyway. Turned out to be such a frustrating experience I’m through with it all. It was just like trying to get an iLL at the parks! I’d see a place and time we wanted and would hit book and I’d get the “sorry something went wrong” message. Then the available times became fewer and fewer…I do want dinner at O’hona but not at 9:30 at night! The only one I could snag was Yak and Yeti, 3:45, that perfect “right between two meals” time. :woman_facepalming:
I’ve now decided to forget sit down dining (dh only eats burgers and nuggets anyway) and not bother with :genie:+ either. I like walking on rides but do miss the fun queues, plus all the drop times, booking and extra band scanning is a turn off. Of course there are 59 days for me to change my mind but for now it’s gonna be a simpler trip plan!

2 Likes

Did you do this in the app, or the website? I have found the app quickly makes it look like things are gone when they aren’t. The website works much better.

2 Likes

That’s really rough. Yesterday, today, and probably tomorrow are not the best days to need something to work on the WDW site. Just so much traffic, and nobody to address any issues.

3 Likes

It was the website. They really need to change the system to allow for seeing many days/times at once for a place vs just searching times.

2 Likes

Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater!

Truly, between now and when you travel continue to look. Set up the res finder for your most greatly desired ones. And don’t give up.

I recently had luck getting an elusive Topolino’s dinner for night one of the second part of our trip. As I looked daily, I noticed that once you are inside of about 72 hours from your desired date you’ll notice more availability across many locations. This is especially true in the final 24 hours before the desired date as people revise plans once they are there. Oh, the 30 day mark can be a good one too as people with packages cancel before they lose their deposit.

Finally, don’t give up hope on walk-up availability. There was a lot of walk up availability during my trip last week and there appeared to be every day as I stalked for what I needed.

You’ll get what you’re after, with a little more effort! Hang in there. It really shouldn’t be so difficult!

5 Likes

I wonder how much of this is people not making their ADRs who didn’t cancel 24 hours in advance and are just eating the $10/person fee.

1 Like

I think we have decided it is at least partly by design with staffing shortages and unpredictability?

No restaurant that I was in - including Topolino’s - had every table filled. It definitely said to me that it was a matter of not having enough staff, whether front of house or kitchen.

Exception: Oga’s was a Covidfest. As I’ve already had Covid, and recently at that, I found it a whopping good time

7 Likes

At least it wasn’t a whooping good time. :mask:

4 Likes

If you’re looking for times for 2 diners, try looking for 3 or 4.

@OBNurseNH has mentioned making the reservation. Then modifying the number of diners.

It also seems easier to modify to a time you want. Rather than reserve the time. Get that late Ohana and keep checking on modifying.

4 Likes

Absolutely this! It can be impossible to get tables for 2.

5 Likes

Oh that too! I forgot that one!

2 Likes

That will be me in December and I can see myself being super frustrated! Thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

So true! I had a last minute trip and was able to snag Topolino for dinner, Grand Floridian for dinner, and a bunch of others, if I so wanted within that 72 hours. Topolino breakfast was elusive, though!

3 Likes

Well I have been searching for two people, I’ll try some other ways. Thanks for the advice.

2 Likes