Wheelchair at WDW?

My DD8 broke a growth plate and has ended up in a cast for the first part of the summer. She gets the cast off the morning that we arrive at WDW.

On the doctor’s recommendation we got her a wheelchair because that much walking will be too much too soon. Note: she looks 10 not 8 and we all agreed a stroller was not an option. I was lucky to find a place that rents a nice medium sized wheel chair.

So what is it like to have a wheelchair? I know that DAS does not apply, and we aren’t interested in that. She will be able to transfer into everything, but how do they handle the chair? Are there rides it is much easier to just leave the chair outside with strollers?(as long as the line isn’t too long)

If it helps we are only going to Epcot and HS. I am just having trouble visioning the process and the best way to handle things, given her semi-ambulatory status. Thanks!

My first trip this year after breaking my ankle I had to use a wheelchair. Disney does a good job accommodating. As long as she is able to transfer she can go in just about any line. Several rides have a separate entrance but you will be guided there at the queue. For rides that she is transferring the wheelchair will be waiting for her at the exit. Just a couple of rides in particular at Epcot. SE you will enter a wheelchair access on the right side of the attraction, no need to go to the queue. Inside you will go to the ride exit where a CM will be there to help. No need for a FP here. On LWTL you actually go thru the fastpass entrance so again no need for a FP. For the shows at HS if you get there in a reasonable amount of time you will get front row center for Frozen sing along and Beauty and the Beast. Any other specific ride concerns I would be happy to answer any questions

2 Likes

Thank you this is very helpful! Tower of Terror was one I was wondering about and also, I am guessing the Indiana Jones show has accessible seating?

My dad had an ECV in 2016, and I would go up and ask at each attraction how we would handle it as he navigated towards the ride. For ToT, they stated he needed to park the ECV outside the attraction, and if he was unable to walk the queue, he would transfer into a wheelchair they had at the attraction to navigate the queue all the way up to boarding. He elected to walk since the wait was like 10 minutes at the time.

And if I remember correctly, for the Indy show, we just sat near the back for accessible seating, as with most shows at HS.

1 Like

Thank you that makes sense!

other than occasional challenges of pushing a wheelchair through crowds and some pathways in animal kingdom, which are a bit bumpy or slightly uphill/downhill, it was great.

in most queues, we rolled directly into standby or fastpass lines. in others, like jungle cruise and spaceship earth, cast members saw us coming and were very helpful! (i can’t say enough good things about our cast member experience.) cast members also took the wheelchair when we loaded a ride, went to a show, etc. and brought it back at the end or placed it at the exit.

a tip: make your chair easy to recognize; it makes it easier to find among others when left at the exits.

3 Likes

Exactly as @thedownsfamily said. She ride the queue to the loading area and you sit in the back of the Indy Show.

1 Like

It is true, the CM’s are trained very well at this and it makes it so much easier.

When you go into the parks and get your maps pick up the handicapped map it tells you if there are special entrances for rides and attractions.

Great to know!

^This. The CMs are well-trained in dealing with wheelchairs, and I don’t recall any issues with queues. It was the pushing all around the parks that was a challenge. But I like challenges. :smiley:

1 Like

The idea that she gets pushed all around the park is making DD much happier about the cast!

Our first family trip to WDW ended up being 2 weeks after my DS16 had ACL surgery and was on crutches. We used a wheelchair for him and his best friend who was travelling with us pushed him everywhere. We also had a double stroller for our DD3 and DS1. The wheelchair wasn’t anymore difficult than the double stroller. Sometimes it was even easier because we didn’t have to park it for attractions. We used it in every attraction line and then my DS transferred with his crutches to the ride and the CMs took the crutches and placed them with the wheelchair.

1 Like