What's up with all these surprise WDW vacations?

Yes! I’m sure lots of people want to do it for good reasons, but if you are filming it and putting it on YouTube, it’s most likely for your own needs not your kid’s.

7 Likes

And technically it’s “parts you’re going to be assigned at birth” as the individual could in fact not feel that they are that gender assigned at birth.

4 Likes

Are you the brother that my parents never told me about?

1 Like

Chances are the parents having gender reveals are doing so because ascribing to tradition is within their world view.

The people who post their surprises on YouTube are also likely to post labor updates on Facebook and friend their nursing staff on Insta.

I don’t begrudge anyone their celebratory moments, but it seems like everyone wants to share every iota of their lives online for max exposure. I have a family blog, but not everything I share there goes on IG.

3 Likes

True. But sometimes the children don’t fit the mold. I have 3 friends - all siblings, all LGBTQ. Their dad is super “good ole boy” red hat wearing (if you know what I mean), conservative. One of the girls said “Yep. It’s like God said ‘I’m gonna show him! Bam! Three kids, all gay!’”

Thankfully he is accepting of them as they are.

5 Likes

I mean folks who believe gender identifies itself later aren’t likely to be having gender reveal parties. I wonder if they even find out the sex of the baby prior to delivery?! That’s an interesting question actually and likely not something that can be answered on a WDW centric board.

Looking up surprise trip fails I saw a lot of gender reveal at WDW videos, too. Seems you can have surprises coming and going at WDW.

I’m now questioning all surprises… I surprised my kids with CRT dinner last trip. All six kids were thrilled. But I didn’t make a video of it.

I think the pros/cons of surprises are very personal.

5 Likes

“The parts our baby has been assigned at birth reveal party” has a certain ring to it. I haven’t gotten an invitation to one of those yet, but I would love to go to one!

4 Likes

I plan to record our surprise because (I hope) it will be a memorable moment for the kids, that they will enjoy having had recorded in the future. There are so many (i.e. most) moments from my childhood that were never recorded, that I wish had been.

1 Like

Oh of course, for yourself, maybe to show family. But are you going to post it on YouTube for strangers to comment on?

I dunno, I posted a video on youtube of me surprising myself with a trip…It was very humbling. And I definitely think I was the focus of the reveal.

8 Likes

:joy::joy:

Why wouldn’t he be?

When I went in 2016, I told my daughters over a year in advance. Now, they kind of know what Disney World is like, even if they have forgotten several things about it. We are going over Thanksgiving weekend this year and it will be a surprise. I figure we will drive down some of the way and stay in a hotel. My wife will get them dressed the next morning in Mickey shirts. I will take her camera and take a picture and my camera and make a video of the reveal. When I am about to take the picture, I’m going to say count to 3. Alright. 1…2…3 Say “I’m going to Disney World!”

I expect one of my daughters to be very excited. I would not be surprised if my other one gets very upset. She doesn’t like change and doesn’t like surprises. I know how to combat that. She still remembers she likes the Tea Cups. If she is upset, I will ask her if she would do me a special favor and help me spin the tea cups. That would smooth over any melt down she may have.

1 Like

Because he is ultra conservative.

Then why not just say he’s a social conservative?

My DD was a little like that. We had a little party planned for her second birthday, and we brought out the cake, sang “Happy Birthday”- and she burst into tears. Surprises were apparently not her thing, either.

She was a couple of years older when we did the surprise trip to WDW, and that didn’t seem to trigger the same response.

If you think about it, a bunch of people singing to you, plopping a burning cake down, and then staring at you might be a little weird if you never had it happen before!

3 Likes

Because he is conservative in all aspects of his life. Even he will say that. So I’m not saying anything he does not know and admit.

Why are you so concerned?

Because I’m also concerned about stereotyping people.

It’s not stereotyping when the person calls themselves that.

I’m out.

1 Like

No, I agree with that. It’s your initial description of him that I found stereotypical. Now, it may likewise all be true, but those traits don’t all reliably cluster together, either. That’s why it’s a stereotype.