What's up with all these little babies at WDW?

Just curious…Last month I was surprised how many young babies I saw at the parks…the youngest was about 4-6 weeks old…(I know infants have some immunity from certain contagious diseases/ailments from their mother’s but that varies on the mom’s immunity strength.)
I am surprised given the outbreak of measles awhile back at DLR.
If you had or have children, what would be the youngest age you would bring your offspring to the parks? What do you consider when assessing the appropriate age: their health, your stamina, their enjoyment, the rest of the family’s enjoyment…???
Curious…

2 Likes

We rescheduled our 2016 trip when we found out we were having a third child. Originally planned for Sep 2016, baby due July 2016. On 5 weeks notice i re-planned for January 2016.

We weren’t so much worried about the baby as much as we thought nobody else would enjoy vacation much with a baby walking us up in the night.

We went last fall when he was 2. That way we all had a good time.

I don’t know. I would be backing out of any trip that somebody brought a less than 4 year old.

1 Like

I probably would wait until 6 weeks minimum, but that would be for my benefit. Disney is a lot of walking and childbirth is hard on a body. I wouldn’t be worried about the baby though. They mostly sleep and nurse at that age, which they would be able to do even on most rides. My kids have all nursed through the night until after 2 years, so I’m not worried about being woken up in the night. Measles is, generally speaking, a mild, normal, childhood illness. I’m not worried about it. The mortality rate before vaccines was less than 1%. Now, if I happened to have an immunocompromised child I wouldn’t be taking them to Disney (or many places) at all unless approved by their medical professionals.

4 Likes

My enjoyment!!! We didn’t start planning until my second child was 5.

3 Likes

Our youngest child was not planned, and will be 3 when we go in a few weeks. I feel like we will definitely need to make another trip when she is older, but her two brothers are at the perfect Disney age right now. We took all of them to Disneyland two years ago, when she was barely over a year. Her ticket was free then, and the whole experience was great.

1 Like

We had a family trip to DLR planned with my parents and siblings for last month, before we were expecting. We debated whether to still go when we realized the baby would be only 3 months old, especially with the measles cases reported. Ideally I would wait till the baby is immunized or at least a year old just for logistics, but we didn’t want to miss out on this opportunity to be with family.

Everything turned out great, we took things easy and made sure the baby was reasonably protected from sun and crowds. And the number of measles cases is still extremely low, so I didn’t worry about that too much. The rest of the family is vaccinated including my wife who nurses the baby. Because the baby doesn’t take a bottle we couldn’t have gone without the baby, so it was totally worth it in my opinion.

Measles can be deadly, especially to the very young!

24 Likes

We’re going in November when we’ll have a 4.5 month old. We tried for over a year to conceive this child and were tired of putting off the next trip with our older daughter until the hypothetical baby would be “old enough.” So we planned the trip and decided we’d deal with whatever! Thankfully babies are pretty portable and if they’re nursing you don’t have to worry about bottles/food.

7 Likes

Congratulations! It will be easier to take an infant than a toddler for sure.

2 Likes

Yes, but according to the CDC the current mortality rate in the US is less than 3 per 1000 cases. I’m not saying it can’t kill, but in 997 cases out of 1000, it probably won’t. Which is why I said “generally speaking.”

3 Likes

Took our newborn regularly to our local amusement park with our season passes in 2010. She was born May 29 and went maybe 10-12 times that summer. Had older siblings and the season passes were always a go-to for summer fun. Fresh air and well ventilated stroller made it easy. She’d nurse anywhere and there were lots of places for me to sit and rest.

Another daughter visited Sesame Place at 4 mos old the year she was born.

For our baby that was born in Feb barely went out til spring sprung here. RSV far more of a concern of mine.

Travel often is my motto. Babies (and children) improve life experiences, not detract from. :heart:

4 Likes

We didn’t go until our youngest was a week shy of 2 years old. Personally I wouldn’t go until 15 month old vaccinations, but to each their own. WDW brings in people from all over the world so the exposure is probably higher than every day life and travel. When we went last year we had triplets that just turned 4 a week prior and a 1 year old that turned 2 a week later. I couldn’t imagine taking 4 kids together any younger than that for our sanity.

1 Like

This was my thing with my December baby. He still got it at 6 weeks. We only caught it because my 2 year old had a fever for a week, spiking very high every night. The doctor decided to test the baby too even though he had no symptoms beyond coughing once or twice a day. He tested positive. Thankfully it was a non-issue for us.

2 Likes

and old!

We’ve taken our kids at around a year… I think the youngest was 7 months on her first trip. Honestly they are fantastic at that age. It doesn’t cost a ticket. They aren’t old enough to talk back. They just eat, sleep, go along with the flow and occasionally give you some awesome memories and character interactions.

Once they really get mobile it’s only more difficult!

As far as a newborn goes… I think you’d have to look at your own situation as to whether you’re up to it as a parent. Disney is just another public place. If you can take the baby to the local Wal Mart you’re exposing them to as much as you might at Disney World.

2 Likes

kudos to any mom who brings an infant…first trip with child was when DS was 4, but even that i felt was a little young. …but that was him…no judging at all. i felt our best trip with youngins was 10 and 8 until 23 and 21 ;-)…now that was the best

1 Like

Personally, I waited until my children were potty trained. My son 1st trip was at the age of 3. Too many babies has been changed in those restrooms…so many germs! But, many things has changed since my children have been babies, now 35 and 32. Each set of parents know whats best for the child or children.

1 Like

Wait, what? You people on here know what you’re doing? I’ve just been making it up as i go! :rofl:

7 Likes

Prior to the outbreaks, I probably would’ve brought a baby once they’d had at least one round of infant shots. Now, I won’t travel to ‘hotspots’ with the baby until he’s had his 12 month shots, which will be his first measles round. We actually just cancelled a trip to DC because of this. he will be 15 months on his first trip to Disney though :slight_smile:

2 Likes