What Would YOU do with $1200?

Yes, we’re ok at sticking to a budget! We may do some gift cards, too (buy them with the credit card…same amount cash back, I think.

And yes, this is what I’m assuming. But it’d be nice to know if we have money for extra TS restaurants or such. I’m over budgeting, I think, on how much some things will cost, but I’m also planning to actually spend all of the budget. If we go a little over on accident that’s ok. But I have $1200 for eating out. I want to spend it wisely, not just pocket half of it and spend the other half, you know? It’s a once-in-every-few-years kind of thing. We can spend what we’ve saved! :smile:

Yes. We do the same. If we budget it, that money typically isn’t coming home with us. But it is nice to have extra money towards the end of the week and then splurge. But if we splurge up front, it feels tight-fisted toward the end of the trip. I enjoy reversing that!

For our Universal trip, we did so well against our budget that we ended up being able to get several souvenir items we WANTED, but didn’t initially have budget for. We spent part of the extra food money on that, PLUS had a little more freedom with spending in the final day of our trip for food.

But you sound like our kind of family.

1 Like

THIS is what I was trying to say, hope I got it across.
Where time allows, since you have a car, and you have what appears to be an ample amount of time, plan your days/meals (if possible) to eat outside of the parks for better, cheaper food, in order to save $ (and eat better while saving money) for special experiences.

So on a day where you plan a meal “out” try to arrange it so the meal is offsite. You’ll save money, and eat better.

Sometimes, the onsite options are worth it when you factor in time and quality. BUT, since you have a car, and time, you might be way better off grabbing lunch or dinner offsite anytime possible to avoid overpaying for “ok” (or worse) food. In order to do this, you have to be a little more strategic in planning your meals, but it’s worth it. not HARD, just a little more strategic like Ryan1 said - Maybe you plan on showing up after lunch, and grabbing whatever on the way. Maybe you share qs lunch, but leave at dinner time and stop at Chili’s on the way back to the time share. Maybe you have late night take out pizza night that you grab on the way back to the timeshare etc.

I would, however, ABSOLUTELY have the money discussion with the Grands. They might not have any idea what kind of planning is involved. You might be able to help them avoid eating overpriced garbage a LOT.

1 Like

Art’s Famous Fried Chicken!

I’m going to try the Church Lady Deviled eggs as an app next time.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the tips! I think the gift card thing might be a good idea…use the credit card to buy the gift cards. Get cash back and have the money already “budgeted.” Just don’t want to overshoot here and end up with too much left over that we’d rather spend elsewhere.

The dessert party really may get a go from this on-a-budget family. I’ll have to talk to hubby about it, though. It’s so expensive that he might rather eat a TS or two for the same price. It seems like the kind of thing he’d want a say in, and he doesn’t seem to care about much as long as I stay within budget. :laughing:

I will have to look a T-Rex’s menu…

Thanks again!

Yes, I did understand. :smile: I just wish I knew what was nearby. I don’t really want to eat at Chili’s since I can get that anywhere! I have some friends who live in Orlando…I should ask them what’s good that’s nearby!

And yes, that money discussion will happen. They have no idea why I’m talking about this stuff so far in advance so anytime we bring stuff up they don’t respond promptly…might have to force this discussion even if they don’t seem to care so much about which park we go to when…

I’ll take a Chili’s burger and fries over Cosmic Ray’s burger and fries any day of the week.
I understand what you’re saying, I really do. I’ll try to get a list of spots I was eyeing from recommendations of ppl I trust. I think one of them was Cedars’s for middle eastern.

1 Like

Ha. I wouldn’t get a burger anywhere in Disney. Too many other “not a theme park” foods to try. But hubby would get a burger in a heartbeat…

I’m loving this discussion. So many good things to chew on!

https://www.theravenouspig.com/

https://www.orlandocedars.com/

http://www.qkenanrestaurante.net/

Never been to any of these places, but I would think about trying them.

1 Like

I’ve not been to the Trattoria or Whispering Canyon, so I can’t comment personally on either (although both get almost unanimously good reviews).

Sanaa is one of my favorite TSs in WDW. It’s a beautifully decorated restaurant, has windows overlooking the savanna (go during daylight hours) and quite tasty, if somewhat mild, Indian cuisine. The Bread Service is a must.

50s Prime Time is a regular stand by for me. The food is good, the kitschy 50s decor is a lot of fun (I’m old enough to remember a lot of it from my childhood), and the interactivity of the CMs can be very entertaining. If I only have one meal in DHS it’s typically at HBD, but if I have a second, it will be at 50s.

Tusker House is the one CM that I will do. I’m not a fan of large breakfasts, so it’s typically a lunch stop for me. I’m not a huge fan of buffets, but this one has a better than average selection of foods, many of them African themed (and yes, it has the “usual” kids’ stuff too). And if I’m going to meet characters, Mickey has to be in the mix. :slight_smile:

Rain Forest is kind of a zoo. It’s always packed and noisy; not a place for a relaxing family meal. I put the food on a level with places such as Chili’s. TGI Friday’s, etc. As an adult with no kids, it was an interesting one and done for me - but kids seem to love it.

Restaurant Marrakesh is one of the most beautiful restaurants in WDW. The service is very good and the live entertainment really adds to the atmosphere. For me, the food is a mixed bag. I was fortunate enough to have a friend who was from Morocco who was also a very good cook; I’ve eaten some very good Moroccan food. I find the apps and deserts to be quite good, but the entrees to be rather lacking in flavor. If I was to eat there again, it would probably be for lunch, and I would order 2 or 3 apps as my meal. As a side note, I’m not a big QS guy, but Tangerine Cafe is one of my favorites in EP; I’m more likely to grab something there than at the TS.

Not on your list, but I have to put in a plug for Biergarten. My mother was first generation German American, and I grew up eating a lot of “German” food (and it’s now my own specialty in the kitchen). BG is the closest thing to “home-cooked” German food I have had anywhere, and the entertainment is a lot of fun (and a great place for kids to burn off pent up energy). And of course, there’s good beer…

1 Like

Double that and you might be able to get one snack on each of the 8 park days…

2 Likes

T-REX is a nightmare come to life. LOUD, flashing lights, crowded, frenetic…Rain Forest Cafe on high-dose steroids. I can’t comment on the food as I’ve never eaten there, but sitting at the bar for a drink and using the restroom was enough to let me know I would probably not survive a full meal there…

1 Like

Nor would I. I won’t eat a “fast food” burger anywhere let alone at WDW. If your husband “must” have a burger, the best one I’ve had is at Hollywood Brown Derby (excellent by any standard). Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch) also has a good burger that is cooked to order vice being mass-produced.

1 Like

Maybe we’ll just get dessert or something. I’d heard it’s not that great, but the theming…since we’re not going to do the Dinosaur ride my kid might really enjoy it. We shall see!

And yes, I am thinking that about $20-25 a day for snacks in the parks needs to be added…I’m sure some days we’ll use more than others but a “snack” budget seems to be necessary…

Somewhat mild is ok. I have kids. :laughing:

I’m thinking Prime Time might be better in a few years when they’re all a bit older. I think my 8-year old might enjoy it but my 6 and 4…they might just shy away from the waitstaff and hide, lol. I remember it from when I was a kid, though, and it’s the only restaurant I can say that about…

Thanks for the plug for Tangierine…I’ve looked at that one, too. I love Middle Eastern food…

Thanks for all the reviews and recommendations! I will take them into consideration.

1 Like

Marrakesh restaurant was terrible entrée (chicken was crazy dry), amazing cous cous (spelling?), and interesting desserts.

I’m 1/2 middle eastern, so I kinda know what I was expecting, and I have had better take out kabob. So dry, and there were only 12 people dining in the restaurant at the time. How did that happen?

I would probably get more cous cous at the Tangerine Café, or at Food and Wine, but for us it’s one and done for Restaurant Marrakesh.

So, I’m not “poo pooing” Tangierine, but if you love middle eastern food (I absolutely love it as well) prepare yourself for enjoying WDW Middle Eastern food.

This is what I meant by, “don’t go to WDW expecting ethnic food to be as good. It won’t be - unless you eat offsite.”

Temper your expectations, and know that you’re going to have to pay up.

I had one of the 14.99 combo plates at Tangierine. It wasn’t bad, it wasn’t great. It was actually better than I thought it would be (but I thought it was going to be a joke.) I’d say back at home I’d price it at $7.99. I’m not saying Walt is not entitled to charge more, however, I’m just saying that you should temper your expectations. If you love Middle Eastern food, and you live in a place that has good middle eastern restaurants for you, you’re not gonna be all that impressed with Tangierine Cafe. By all means, go and try it, though. You will ultimately be the judge.

@imaginette thanks for the heads up! We lived in Istanbul for awhile (not quite the ME but close, and food is somewhat similar). Maybe we’ll get couscous and dessert and call it good, ha!

Do you mean prepare myself to not enjoy it? Just checking.

And yes, I do know the the food won’t be great. It’s a theme park and they feed hundreds of thousands of people each day. I am prepared. Just like I said, I’ll pay decent money for ok for and a good experience. It is vacation. I don’t want to pay good money for nasty food and good theming, or even for awesome food with bad theming (I can do that at home). There’s a balance and I’m hoping to find it. Thanks for your help! I’m going to check out those off-site restaurants!

The thigh high chicken biscuits are amazing!

1 Like

As you are staying off property I would maybe book one Character meal - we usually got for breakfast to get an early entry - on the birthday. We always stay off property and tend to have breakfast in the villa on park days so its a real treat. We would then lunch Quick Service in the park and eat off property on the way home. There is Manny’s Chop House on 8520 W Irlo Bronson Highway (we’ve been to the one in Haines City many times) and it is great value, great food and great with kids. Also Celebration has nice restaurants and is a bit quieter.
On the resort we like Ohanas, Mama Melrose’s and Disney Springs.
My tip for budgeting is to set a daily allowance and plan from there. So a Character Breakfast Day would probably take the days budget and we would take snacks but eat at home for dinner, on another day we would eat breakfast at home, lunch in the park and eat out on the way home.
Have a great trip we will be there also in December - fingers crossed for low crowds and high temperatures
:slight_smile:

1 Like