What will you miss most in EPCOT?

I rode LwtL in February but honestly hadn’t ridden it since the 90s before that. After we got off the ride…I was like, I remember this ride being much better and I swear there was a CM…but then decided it was something I invented in my head. Good to know it wasn’t my imagination.

1 Like

You’re not crazy :grin: LwtL with live CM (ignore the terrible videography and unenthusiastic guide):

More than the CM, I miss the song that went along with it

2 Likes

Yes! But Canada will be getting a new movie as part of the EP makeover; it will be interesting to see if Martin is in it or if they go back to an off-screen narrator as was the original.

1 Like

For the nostalgia folks, here’s one of Martin’s excellent videos showing the original “Listen to the Land” ride (with live CM and original music), “Kitchen Kabaret”, and the “Symbiosis” film. If you’re not interested in the historical background, the boat ride starts at around the 30 min point

2 Likes

I remember thinking that was the weirdest ride as a kid. I went on it, but I definitely didn’t cry when it closed :laughing:

Fountain of Nations.

I loved it before I heard the history, which is that each country in WS emptied into the fountain water from their home country. That feels so beautiful to me, and I’m sad it’s going away

1 Like

I love its story as well…it looks like it was a wonderful dedication ceremony: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/vintage-walt-disney-world-fountain-of-nations-dedication-at-epcot/

2 Likes

Maelstrom and Sum of All Thrills. Son is a huge Viking fan. Have not ridden FEA. I’m up in the air about doing so. I think I will get upset, lol. Such a silly thing but that’s what kept me from FEA.

2 Likes

So two of my most vivid memories from an early trip: The Making of Me and Captain EO. Not sure if I really miss them, but fun memories for sure!

I did get to see EO in Paris when the released it shortly after MJ’s death.

2 Likes

Kitchen Kaberet! I have some very vivid memories of watching/(riding?) that with my grandmother when I was little. I will always miss Maelstrom…not into FEA at all.

1 Like

I loved Kitchen Kaberet. It’s included on the video I posted earlier. I never liked “Food Rocks” which replaced it in an attempt to be “more current”.

1 Like

I saw EO when it first premiered in DL ca. '86. For it’s time, ir set a new and very high bar for what 3D video could be, and it came out at the height of MJ’s career. It hasn’t aged well and now is probably only of interest to hard core MJ fans.

I know I’m in the minority, but I never really liked Maelstrom all that much. It always felt like “half a ride” - which is in fact what it was compared to the original concept. I’ve not had a chance to ride FEA yet, but I suspect that my opinion will be the same - it will feel like a half a ride, but with a vaguely Norway influenced make believe kingdom vice a “real” country. I will miss the trolls - about the only interesting part of Maelstrom. The real crime committed against the Norway pavilion was converting Akershus into Princess dining for all 3 meals. EPCOT lost an excellent TS restaurant as a result.

We still sing the Food Rocks songs around our house. So corny, so amazing.

I’m going in February and Epcot is my favorite park. Beginning to wonder if anything will be open for us to enjoy? Especially worried about Spaceship Earth. That’s quintessential Disney, in my book.

As usual, I agree with @bswan26 - there is so much from the past that I miss that additional things being lost are just a drop in the ocean.

One thing to note though is that I miss them as they were with respect to the time that they were introduced, and I have always been greatly disappointed in the lack of updating that was done over time. For example, World of Energy was cool when it came out, but sadly outdated when it was finally put out to pasture. And the lack of maintenance on The Living Seas is inexcusable.

And since I have my soapbox out, WTF does Frozen have to do with Norway???

The artwork and architecture in the movie are derived from classic Norwegian styles (even though Hans Christian Anderson was Danish), and in Iger’s obsession with introducing as many IPs as possible anywhere he can, it was a close enough match for him. EP is often considered “boring” for young kids, put Frozen in there and every 10 year old girl will insist that they go to that park to see Anna and Elsa.

I liked Maelstrom, although the last time I rode it was so long ago, I don’t remember it too well. But I was nervous at the idea of the FEA overlay. In the end, I was pleasantly surprised. If you are going to Disneyfy a ride, I felt they did a great job of it there. Of course, the only part that was memorable for me with Maelstrom was the backwards part. With FEA, they made the backwards part even better.

Of course, I also agree that Frozen in Norway was a stretch…but it doesn’t make me miss Maelstrom.

I got to do that once. Was hoping to be able to do it again our next Disney trip, but they had removed it by then. But I felt that it was kind of old-school EPCOT. Like, I remember the first time I went to EPCOT right after it opened, there was a display of touch screens where you could design a wire-frame roller coaster and then “ride it”. Of course, by today’s standards, it was quite poor. But back then, it was magical. So, the Sum of all Thrills felt like a 21st century version of that.

I’m not sure what I think about them re-doing Spaceship Earth (aside from the fact that it will be closed when we go for our May trip, which is a bummer). I think it is classic as it is, but also kind of old. I think they could do a lot with it. If nothing else, it will be fun finding the NEW Hidden Mickeys.

Our family loved Cranium Command and Body Wars in the Wonders of Life Pavillion and the original Figment ride, Journey Into Imagination. I guess these memories are so wonderful for me because my 28 year old was a tiny little girl when I experienced them with her!

1 Like

I still miss Maelstrom so much that I haven’t been on FEA.

I will miss Club Cool, too.

1 Like

Oh I forgot Sum of all Thrills, DS was heartbroken when he found out it had closed.

1 Like