What will replace DME?

I have a similar experience as @ryan1. Before DME running under the Disney name, it was just Mears, at a separate cost. DH and I fully expect that it’ll go back to that offering, at least until Disney decides to offer a similar service in-house. Although I’m sure there will be covenants not to compete on at least one side of the relationship. Since Mears already made a statement that they will continue to provide the service I’m guessing it’s Disney that can’t offer a similar product for a period of time.

1 Like

$36 per person is pretty steep for families ($180 for my family of 5). They’ll have a rough time competing with ride shares with that pricing model - a Lyft XL is $42 right now from MCO to Hard Rock, and I don’t have to wait for other passengers to be loaded or dropped off.

2 Likes

Come 12/31, Mears will be left sitting with a small fleet of buses, they will just continue offering their services directly to consumers.

WDW might offer the service as part of their reservation system the same way that you can rent a car from Alamo.

Also, now that WDW will stop offering a literal free ride from the airport, that will create the opportunity for new businesses to step up and offer airport to WDW services. More competition will give the opportunity for different levels of service at different levels of prices.

3 Likes

Disney has announced that they are replacing DME with a new program: GYOFR
Yes folks, it’s the Get Your Own F___ing Ride new for Spring 2021.

Guests staying on property will be greeted at MCO by the GYOFR Gopher who will tell them they’re on their own and not to bother calling him because he’s not in the book.

13 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

farrrr too many extended fingers on those hands. Should be just 1… on each… :smirk:

5 Likes

Gopher: “You’re a liner eh? Read between these lines baby”

2 Likes
6 Likes

So smart of them and I think what most of us expected.

3 Likes

I bet their server is blowing up with people sending their emails in for notification come May

4 Likes

:raising_hand_woman: Guilty. I wanted to see what they end up charging for it, so I submitted my email. I feel hard pressed to pay for it without the luggage service. For what I think they will charge it would be easier to hire a car service. And faster.

5 Likes

Also guilty

3 Likes

Me too.

Did anyone get a confirmation? The field just cleared for me, no message, nothing.

3 Likes

No conf here either.

1 Like

I got nothing as of yet.

1 Like

That’s fine. I just found it odd, usually if you sign up or register you at least get a message on screen saying “Thanks” or “We’ll be in touch soon”.

2 Likes

Like others, we always used Mears before DME. We’re fine with Uber/Lyft so I’m sure we’ll just use those. We’ve already done so if we wanted to get there sooner than DME would get us there. I actually don’t think we’ve used DME for the return trip in several years, since we got TSA precheck.

1 Like

I signed up also. When it’s just DH and I traveling, I’d be fine to use Uber/Lyft, but for the family trip of 7-9 people that’s just not economical. I have no idea of the potential cost of renting a passenger van, but maybe that would be an option? The shuttle is just so much easier.

3 Likes

Just rented a 12 passenger van for $1315 for 10 days for July.

1 Like

Thanks – that’s good to know as a point of reference when the shuttle pricing comes out. Paying an extra thousand+ dollars for each trip will make the trips significantly less frequent. which would suck.

3 Likes