What to do about mid-day nap? Park choice & afternoon hopping

Trip Oct. 23-27th 5 day park hopper staying at Contemporary

So I’m trying to figure out the best way to use my afternoons/evenings and to choose the right parks for each day considering we’ll have to head back to the hotel for a midday nap for our youngest (3 year old).

We chose the Contemporary as the easiest hotel to get to the parks (specifically MK and Epcot). That said, I’m still wondering how best to use our afternoons. Does it make sense to head back to AK or HS in the afternoon if we’re getting in to those parks probably around 3:00 or 4:00? Or do we just stick to afternoons and dinner at MK and Epcot?

We won’t be doing particularly late nights with a 5 and a 3 year old. We won’t be doing a nighttime/firework show every night, though we will likely do 1 or possibly 2 (I have the dessert party at plaza garden booked for Saturday the 26th at MK)–our priority is the daily EMH hours going on at every park. We’re early risers and feel that’s the best way to get in the most rides.

Is it worth it to skip a park after nap one day and go to Disney Springs?

I really don’t think you could go wrong either way. Those parks don’t close for 4+ hours after your nap to do either. You can go to DS for a great family dinner and treats or go to AK / HS for one show and a ride if you don’t want to stay late.

Have you decided how many days to do each park? For us, 2 days MK and 2 days EP are not negotiable. HS is not a full day park for my family. I’d highly suggest looking over the offerings there and deciding how much time you need.

Food & Wine will be at Epcot during your stay. Going to Epcot for touring around the world is enticing. There is also plenty for the little ones to do - meet characters, enjoy the shows, window shop. Epcot is my DDs favorite place :slight_smile:

As for Disney Springs, I’m not the best person to ask. I really want to love Disney Springs, but I just don’t. It’s taken me many trips to realize I don’t really enjoy it as much as I think I should. I do really enjoy Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’ restaurant at Disney Springs though! :slight_smile: Other than some really awesome restaurants, it’s just a large, overpriced, outdoor mall.

1 Like

I’m thinking Epcot the day we get there Wednesday (afternoon–first flight doesn’t get us in until a little after noon). Thursday HS in the morning–I agree that it doesn’t look like a fully day park for my family either as we’re not ready for ToT or RNR, plus I don’t know if we want to go through the hassle of SWGE. Afternoon MK for Cinderella dinner res. Friday MK morning, afternoon open. Saturday AK morning, afternoon open except for HEA dessert party at night. Sunday MK until we leave.

So, general break down is 2 days MK, 1 day HS, 1 day AK, 1 day Epcot, but that’s really just the EMH and morning hours until we’re home for nap. Probably will take at least one of those free afternoons for Epcot. I’m thinking maybe AK has more going on and might need some more time.

Same here. We will go to DS the afternoon that my daughter and her family arrive. We will eat at WPE, go to the World of Disney, and then leave. I can go to a mall at home.

How late can your kids stay up? 2 night shows seems a lot. Keep in mind they might not nap in the hotel. You may have better luck with a stroller. Be open. I wouldn’t pay for a PH. Go back to EP or MK - plenty to do. You might not even feel like going back. It’s exhausting for adults too, especially with young kids.

[quote=“bradbaumgarten, post:4, topic:62872”]
HS in the morning–I agree that it doesn’t look like a fully day park for my family
[/quote
Agreed. We will have a 3.5 year old and a 13 month old. Going to do HS one morning with EEMH. We were going to go one evening as well, but then they changed the Tier 1 attractions. No thank you, we will spend the extra time in Epcot. Our days are also built around a 3 hour break every day except the day we watch the parade in MK.

You’re very likely right that 2 nighttime shows is pushing it. The only one we’re locked into is HEA with the dessert party and that’s our last night.

Thanks for eliminating any hesitation I had that I might be missing out skipping DS. Seems like a hard pass from you guys are saying.