What rides do you avoid? Could someone change your mind?

If you don’t get motion sick I would try ST & MS. You won’t know whether you like them until you try. If you don’t have kids I’d skip Carousel, Astro Orbiter and Tea cups.

Same here. The ride itself will be pretty boring, but I’d like to experience the new film.

Normally, I tend to avoid the water rides at Disney except Slash Mountain because I really don’t like to have to carry clothes in my bag. We rode Kali River Rapids and the equivalent ride in Disney’s California Adventure, the name is escaping me at the moment, and weren’t too impressed because of the lack of theming. It just felt like any other water ride at any other theme park. However, the last few times we went to Universal Orlando Resort , I really liked the water rides. Dudley Do Right, Bluto, and Jurassic Park were all fun. You get pretty wet on Bluto’s Barges and Dudley, and the themes are fun, too. You feel like there a story to follow, like Splash Mountain. We just made sure we did them when we were planning on leaving the park.

I will never, ever go on Mission Space again. I rode it the the summer that it opened, or the summer right after, and was sick the entire rest of the day (we rode in the morning). It put a damper on the rest of the day, and that was our only Epcot day. I can’t even remember which color we rode on.

Roller Coasters are fine for me except for a few. I rode Rip Ride Rocket once each trip we’ve gone to Universal, and normally felt fine. However, the last time I went, I felt like my brain was being slammed against my skull. Never again. Funny enough, I rode the Hulk many times before, and was fine, but since they put the new track was put in, I felt the same way as I did on RRR. Not pleasant. I sure I looked the way I felt when I rode it: green.

Teacups, Dumbo, Astro Orbiters, Storm ride, and Hurl and Twirl are all no-gos, or even attempts for me.

1 Like

We did Mission Space:Orange on our last trip to Epcot and never again. I have never felt so sick after a ride. It was awful.

We did the whole poncho thing for Kali River Rapids, so we didn’t get soaked but I agree with others who have said that it was boring. I much preferred Grizzly Falls at Disneyland.

Spinning rides do me in ever since I turned 35.

Star Tours is one of my favourite rides. We make sure to do it at least once on every trip.

I’ve done both Expedition Everest and Rockin’ Roller Coaster at Disney and really enjoyed them, but you could not pay me enough money to get me on the big coasters at Universal. My kids both love coasters but I make my husband do all of them. I can’t even watch some of them.

We’re planning to hit Bilge Rat Barges and Rip Saw Falls on our trip this summer, but we want to do them after lunch just before we head back to our onsite hotel for an afternoon break. That way we won’t be stuck in the park soaking wet.

2 Likes

I realize there are a lot of varying opinions on Mission Space, but Orange is NOTHING like green (being stuck in a cupboard is a good description of green). During liftoff on Orange, tears were running down my face because of the G-force - not because I was crying. I don’t care for spinning rides, but you don’t feel like you’re spinning on this one. I feel like you should try it once, because the average person will never experience that liftoff force in real life. Maybe plan it before a long break in case it affects you…

I’m another one who thinks Star Tours is a great ride. I feel better coming off this one than Soarin - I think the rough transitions in Soarin’ mess my brain up.

If you’ve ever been on a carousel, skip that. We have a really nice carousel where I live and I can’t fathom waiting 15 or 20 minutes to ride one that is only horses. Astro orbiters is really high up, so if you don’t like spinning and you don’t like heights, it’s not for you. It moves pretty fast, too, and I think at full height you tip a bit as well.

2 Likes

I did Kali River in November. I wore a poncho and put my feet on the bar above the floor. I stayed dry except the bottom of my pants that weren’t covered.

@profmatt I do tolerate dumbo and Aladdin very well actually. You might be surprised. But they’re also kiddie rides!

I’ll admit I’m tempted, but it just feels like too much of a risk. Though I really like Gina Torres . . .

1 Like

Green doesn’t actually spin you, but just tilts upwards/downwards the ride compartment to help in the motion simulation. Orange, however, also adds in “artificial gravity” induced by the spinning of the compartments, so that the launches, etc., you actually get that feeling of lift-off and moments of near weightlessness, etc.

So if you’re afraid of getting sick due to spinning, try Green first. No spinning.

But even on Orange you don’t really feel like you’re spinning while riding it. Just a sense of a change in gravity and force exerted on your body. Since what you are seeing visually matches what you are feeling, you are less likely to feel sick. BUT, having said that, they provide throw-up bags on the ride itself, so I assume people still manage to get quite sick. If I were to ride it twice in a row, I probably would. Once, though, I come off dizzy for a little while, but not sick.

2 Likes

I did Green last year and — frankly — found it somewhat boring. I guess in part the problem was that I was unable to suspend my disbelief. I really did feel like I was locked in a cupboard watching a movie on a small tv screen.

Unlike, say, FOP where I can pretty much suspend my disbelief and I do feel like I’m riding a flying horse around an alien planet.

1 Like

In that case…save Mission:Space for the last ride of the day. Then, if you get sick on Orange, you can just head back to your bed and sleep it off. :slight_smile:

Or just make yourself throw-up afterwards. To quote a non-Disney-owned property: “Better out than in!” :wink:

1 Like

Thoughts on your “will not ride” list:

Orange is a totally different experience from Green because of the G-forces to simulate launch/landing (Green is pointless IMO). Worth doing once to at least see if you like it - DW definitely did not.

Totally worth it. You can end up dry as a bone or drenched (but not as drenched as some of the UOR wet rides). Do it as the last ride of the day, take off shoes/socks and put them in the central bin, and poncho up. The first time I rode it I had a garbage bag with holes for arms and head - the CMs laughed their asses off, but I stayed dry.

Skip the tea cups, maybe ride PCC for the experience (it is a classic), and definitely ride AO - if you can time it out, ride AO during the fireworks.

I can have problems with motion simulators, especially if the visuals do not sync well with the motion (the old Body Wars sim turned me green). However, no problems with this one.

Do it, do it, do it! Kick-ass coaster, and you get to select your own musical accompaniment - there are some TP blog posts on what ones to pick.

If you really do not want to get wet, skip them. Rip Saw Falls will get you wet, and Bilge Rat Barges will get you soaked.

In terms of your question, the only ride I will avoid is the Tea Cups - pointless ride designed to make you hurl. Soarin’ gives me serious vertigo (sweaty palms, feel like I will slide off to my doom), but I will still go on it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

FYI - the center bins are gone now on Kali. They direct you to lockers to store anything you want to keep dry now prior to riding. Personally we tend to wear quick dry clothes so even if you get drenched on Kali, you’ll dry fairly fast, especially in the summer. It is really random on how wet you’ll get and you definitely don’t want to be wearing jeans or something that takes forever to dry if you do get soaked…

Are there dryers anywhere near any of these wet rides?

DryPods-edit

It is a good point about the clothing choice. If you choose to venture onto the water ride, I would suggest wearing athletic clothes that will dry fast, and (for fear of getting too personal) avoid wearing cotton underwear, and instead something like the kind meant for sports…dry wicking. That ensures that even if you end up soaked, you’ll be dry enough pretty quickly.

I haven’t seen any dryers like that offered at WDW. Just the sun. Although at $5 a head maybe Disney will be motivated to crank up the water on the rides and the profit margins from the dryers…

1 Like

I’ve had a sneaky look at the Kali POV video, and I think the theming looks pretty good. But I’m not sure how I’d fit it into my schedule, bearing in mind the need to dry off, or to change into dry clothes.

There’s more scope for me to do this at UOR. Oddly, I’m less enticed by their wet rides.

Didn’t realize that - good to know. Didn’t bother to use them last time (last ride of the day, didn’t care if shoes were squishy), so I would not have even noticed. :slight_smile:

When my kids were little dh and I rode Mission Space using Rider Switch. The kids were zonked out and dh went first (Orange) while I waited on a shady bench nearby.

Before he came out of the ride a bunch of teens came out talking about how someone got thoroughly sick in their “room” so they all got free “barf passes.”

I opted for green.

To be honest…it was 7 years ago and I totally don’t remember the ride. I’m trying to decide if it is worth doing again (Green) during our visit this summer since my 12yo is a space geek.

I agree - Mission Space: Orange was an amazing and unique experience! The advice I was given was DON’T close your eyes - then your brain knows you’re spinning. Keep your eyes on the monitor above your head and try to have fun.

That said, I don’t ever get motion sick, and the first few times I tried this ride I had no effects other than about 5 - 10 minutes of feeling a little off center. But a year later I went again and seriously felt weird all day. That was it for me. Glad I tried it for sure, but not sure it’s worth the risk again! Vacay days at WDW are too precious to take a chance on feeling that gross.

2 Likes