What does teen need to know / bring for Italy tour?

Thanks for all the advice! :slight_smile:

I just carried a backpack as my ā€œpersonal itemā€ on the plane and it worked very well. I could see sending DS16 with a carry on suitcase and a backpack. He would have trouble with a large checked bag. The itinerary is Rome, Florence, Capri, Sorrento Region, Pompeii. I think there are 5 or 6 days in Rome. The teacher opted for fewer stops so that they could spend more time in each place, which we thought was wise.

On 3 trips to London from 2014 - 17 I got the Verizon international plan, but I did call home and also used all the features of my phone. That being said, these things may have changed since thenā€“a lot. I am not tech savvy and will have to show the suggestions to DH and DS14, who understands phones and computers far better than I do.

2 Likes

Make sure you have good health insurance. I work for GeoBlue and we offer very affordable coverage. www.geo-blue.com.

1 Like

Iā€™m not gonna comment from the parent end but I went to Italy for 10 days when I was 15 with a school group too. We had no disasters other than I spent the entire money my mom gave me for souvenirs on a blown glass for her early on in Venice (which she still has) and had to skip some lunches at the end (breakfasts and dinners were always covered). Life lessons! ;-). I think my mom gave me an emergency credit card too but I didnā€™t want to use it.

2 Likes

Just to be clear on the phone. It will work whether you get the international plan or not. If heā€™s lost on the side of the road he can make a call or text or even turn on data and pull up a map. This will not be cheap but itā€™s available in an emergency. If he turns off mobile data and do not make phone calls or texts via the phone service is what I would recommend. There is enough free wifi now that he can make calls or send messages via WhatsApp or any other message service for free. If you canā€™t trust him not to call/text off of wifi then I would investigate the International Plan.

Then heā€™ll be just fine looking left, right, left crossing the street!

1 Like

I donā€™t want to spoil the fun but this doesnā€™t seem very Disney-like. I suggest moving it to La Cava or non-Disney park section. Letā€™s clear the way for actual Disney discussion.

CC: @PrincipalTinker

@Kitty_Ellas_Mom I looked and most non-Disney plans are posted in the non-Disney park thread.

You could edit the category or @missoverexcited or I can move it if you want.

I tried to change the category. Did it change?

2 Likes

Looks like it did.

Yes!!! That is perfect!

Send him with a couple of travel-sized bottles of woolite. When you arrive at lodging, it is easy/quick to wash the previous dayā€™s dirties in the sink and lay on a towel on the bed. By morning they are dry.
The main thing will be avoiding pickpockets. Zippered pockets or those waist money belts donā€™t even slow them down. I have a black leather necklace safe that I prefer for the passport. It is on a black leather thong, so could just be a funky necklace. If you see kids running amok, start swinging your arms around you wildly. Donā€™t worry if you wack one, if they get close enough to be wacked they were trying to steal from you. Heā€™ll be pegged for what he is, but when he isnā€™t with the big group, stay silent when in doubt. I also usually avoided the traditional American dress, but as a teen boy he probably has nothing else.