What do young kids think is happening at WDW?

Yep. You can kind of see it, at the end of the rainbow.

2 Likes

Ah, well this is all making sense now.

1 Like

Glad to clear things up. See? You donā€™t need to spend all that money on expensive air travel. All you have to do is get to the end of the rainbow and youā€™ll be there!

I could even take Calvin with me. Quite the money saver.

1 Like

Yes. Iā€™m sure that would work. After all, when Dorothy went to the other side of the rainbow, her dog Toto managed to accompany her. So Iā€™m sure itā€™s allowed.

My DD, when she was 5, only thought the face characters were real. And of those she thought some were ā€œfriendsā€ helping out the real princess and some were real (Ariel at the grotto was the same actress at CRT AND she remembered my DD. She was real!) DD was always scared by characters with masks so she was never interested in those meets and never thought they were real.

But, to note, if you have an anxiety kid, this can be overwhelming. What is real and what is not? Did I just meet the REAL Elsa? Caused a couple of meltdowns for us. (I joke that if I suddenly met Bono or Julie Andrews, Iā€™d have a meltdown too). Thatā€™s okay, just expect it may all go differently than you imagine.

DD now 8 still isnā€™t a fan of meet and greets and DH just cant suspend disbelief. This is the one meet and greet we plan on doing in July and the entire family is excited!

I love this.

I feel sorry for people so mired in the real world that not only do they fail to see magic all around - especially at Disney - that those of us who do suspend disbelief are viewed as ā€œstupidā€ (even children).

7 Likes

In regards to the furries- My oldest son met Mickey & Minnie together on his first trip to Disneyland & this was his most magical face we captured as he realized who he was about to meet. There is no doubt that he believed they were real at this age (just a few weeks before his 2nd birthday). Fast forward to last year (he was 6) he informed me that knows that Mickey is just a person in a costume but he still likes meeting him for his younger brother & sister. My heart broke that he had grown up enough to make that determination but we had a good conversation about keeping the magic real for those who still believe in it & he still happily meets Mickey when we go. My daughter will be 6 next spring & she hasnā€™t said anything yet, but Iā€™m expecting her to catch on soon as well.
First%20Trip

Now as for those face characters- The Royal Hall at Disneyland & mostly all the princesses in Disneyland are just amazing & I never leave a meet with them without feeling 10,000 ft above the ground from the Pixie Dust Iā€™ve just received and my kids all feel the same. When my oldest told me he knew that furs werenā€™t really the characters, he did say that ā€œmost ofā€ the face characters were the real ones.

And then a funny story about Darth Vadar- my daughter was watching the Jedi Training show in Tomorrowland & shortly afterwards went to meet Darth Vadar at the Launch Bay and once we were back from the trip made the comment that there had to be 2 Darth Vadars. I asked her why and her response was ā€œHow could he get back here to meet people so quickly?ā€ We asked her if she thought maybe the Force helped him travel faster somehow & she said seemed to accept it but for a minute there I was wondering if she too was putting 2 and 2 together.,ā€¦

5 Likes

I do remember from when I was a little kidā€“the only thing I thought was real was ghosts in the Haunted Mansionā€“I was so scared! I knew the castle, Jungle Cruise animals, etc, were fake, but the Submarine Voyage was my favorite ride because of how real it seemed.

The character interactions were much different in the '80s. I didnā€™t think they were real but I was scared of them, too. Weirdly, the only one I would stand with for a picture was Brer Fox, and I knew he was a bad guy because the tar baby story was in one of my books.

I did think Santa was real at the same age, so Iā€™m not sure why the characters seemed different. Probably the suits.

My kids were 5 & 7 when they went to WDW and they knew nothing was real, but when they met the characters they believed at least for that moment in time.

1 Like

Highlight of my trip was meeting Chewy ā€¦ I grew up on Star Wars and obviously I know itā€™s not real but I still turned into a little kid when I met him :rofl:

6 Likes

I canā€™t wait to meet himā€¦19 more days until WDW!

2 Likes

Best day EVER !

I think psychology bears out that people who do suspend disbelief are of higher intelligence than those who donā€™t. Think about role-playing games and clubs, Comic-Con, etc. and who populates those types of recreation. Imagination is higher-level thinking, and I feel sorry for folks who think itā€™s silly or weird. Their lives seem to me to be very dull.

The good thing is, itā€™s a lot more acceptable to be imaginative now. For all their shortcomings, the pre-eminence of scientific and technological fields these days has made it much more cool to be a nerd than it was 30 years ago, and I think thatā€™s opened the door for the enjoyment of all types of virtual reality- including the bubble of WDW which really is an alternate universe in many ways.

9 Likes

Same. This is me, my forehead and hair anyway. (Amieintx is actually my wife - I took over the username when I realized you could plan every second.)

4 Likes