What do you do when your trip is over?

So I’ve done this twice before and know the letdown post trip after all that planning. But this is the first time I interacted with a lot of people on a forum about the trip and now it just seems sad that I’m not planning anymore. I want to plan another trip but it’s really not in the cards. I’m going to write a trip report but want to think about everyrthing awhile…

5 Likes

Cry. duh.

And start planning again, even if it’s an imaginary or “what if” trip

4 Likes

Trip reports help me. So does eating my feelings.

And like @OBNurseNH said, planning another trip.

3 Likes

Watch some shows or movies about the places you went! It’s always cool to see where you were now that you have more context.

If you have Disney+, I highly recommend The Imagineering Story series. It is really well done and gives you insight to the history, creativity behind, and incredible stories of how they built the Disney parks. It will make you appreciate your trip even more!

5 Likes

That show is amazing. We have watched 1.5 episodes. I can’t wait for episode 4, but loving all of it so far. It’s so incredible to see real, true Disney legends on the screen: Marty Sklar, Marc Davis, Rolly Crump, Bob Gurr, Mary Blair, and of course Walt and Roy… the list goes on. Pixie dust keeps getting in my eyes.

2 Likes

i know that feeling, too! likely obvious, but i’ve found staying on the forum helps a lot. thinking positively, it also keeps me in the loop so i can add items to my list of things to do when my now-imaginary but hopeful-future trip might come to life.

2 Likes

This was a return trip for us that we just got back from. The previous trip was 3 years ago. It will be longer than 3 years before we are able to return.

Right now, I need a day off. But after I get rested, I’ll go back and read my trip report. Then I’ll add a few pictures maybe. Then, I’ll read reports and also think about my next vacation, wherever that might be.

So, first, you post your trip report. Then, you watch for questions you are able to answer on how things are working now.

Other things to do:
Download and catalogue (and print) photopass picture.
Make a scrapbook (either on your own or with the Photopass software) with your photos.

Download your credit card expenditures.
Catch your breath when you realize what you’ve spent.
Go through line items and mentally justify why you needed to spend that and where you might have saved.
Rejig expenses, taking into account things you would have had to buy anyway (like food, entertainment) had you not gone and then subtract from your total. Now you would have spent more than that at home, right? because you weren’t on vacation, so you could treat yourself. Up that number! Re-evaluate until the amount you spent is more reasonable.
Sigh with relief for a moment. No, don’t think about all that justification. It was fine. No, IT’S FINE! Darn conscience!

Quick, better start thinking about something else… how about researching dates for your next trip?

4 Likes

I make a music video. The music I’m using this time is “You’ve Got a Friend in Me”. It’s taken me a while to gather the photos from our May trip as the kids are all grown up and getting the photos they took takes a bit of work. Hope to have it done to surprise them by Christmas.

Of course, I get a bit teary-eyed while making it, so that slows me down, too.

2 Likes

I move forward.
Always another trip to research.
I can’t do just WDW.

1 Like

I hang out on here and answer questions…:blush:

…also I plan my next trip; it’s looking like a return to DLP (UK-based so that’s my local).

1 Like

I always have a trip planned no matter what. Disney is my major coping mechanism and not having one isn’t a good thing for me. Doesn’t matter how far out it is.

2 Likes

Trip report. Then share the wisdom and participate anyway. I like the where in the world photo thread. A fun way to just check in.

I like to make a few notes after a trip too, for myself. Just Nate what worked well, what was a hit, what was a let down. For example last Jan was the first trip with my extended family - it was a mini trip to take the niece for the first time - but I learned quite a few things that I jotted down to keep in mind when we go with the big group in 2022.

1 Like

Same, I just planned our summer vacation (not DW) after getting back from DW last week!

1 Like

I also do a bunch of notes. Comes in handy if we go to the same place again!

I made a photo book on Shutterfly. It was 97 pages, and expensive (but worth the cost because we will have all those memories preserved). You can work on it and keep it as a project for as long as you want and they often have 50% off offers, which is what I used to purchase it.

I wrote my trip report in conjunction with the photo book, because I did a lot of journaling in that too. I’ll post some pictures of the final product when I get home if you want to see it. It was a lot of fun, and helped me a lot.

I’m planning to give it to my DS17 (who came on the trip with me - just me and him) for Christmas.

3 Likes

My book on Snapfish for our NY to ScCal and back road trip cost me almost $100 as it is huge. And we look at it all the time. :heart:.

I don’t always do for WDW.

1 Like

I’m dreading the end of my WDW trip in May/June 2020 because we probably won’t be back for 3-4 years after that. We plan to go to Hawaii in 2021 and I’d really like to make it to Europe in 2022, so maybe WDW in 2023?

But we will go to DLR at least once a year to make up for it. :slight_smile:

I’ve made at least 10 big photo albums on shutterfly and I love the process. I have never gotten around to making specific ones for our trips however—nice idea.

1 Like