What do I need to know to evaluate a DVC Resale?

My husband’s uncle is a DVC member and is looking to sell his membership. What information do I need from him to evaluate whether or not we want to purchase? Can we do the deal without a broker or Disney? Thanks!

1 Like

I would look at a couple of things. First- how much? Here is the most recent average price:

I would also consider: is this a resort you will be happy to always stay in? What type of room will your points buy? How many years are left on the contract?

https://dvcsales.com/annual-dues/

1 Like

I should probably start by asking what the home resort even is!!!

1 Like

That is a great place to start ! To me, I am willing to pay more for a resort I live in case I am restricted to my home booking. Also, do you plan 11-12 months out?

1 Like

Umm, I’ve got 8 different future trips planned in my head…does that count? I’m currently planning a Thanksgiving trip, so that’s 8 months out. I can plan any time though. Does it make a difference?

It does matter for availability. I own at Copper Creek and want a studio. If I am online at 8am at exactly 11 months I might get my room. A month or even a week later I will not get a December room, or a President’s week room.

2 Likes

Play with this tool:

https://tools.dvcvacations.com/points-calculator

It may not be 100% accurate but will give you an idea .

1 Like

We are a family of 5 right now, with plans of adding at least 2 more. Plus we like to take grandma with us. So at a minimum we need at least a 2 bedroom. Those seem to have more availability, even at 7 months, right?

1 Like

I thought @Nicky_S posted the other day that two bedrooms usually get booked before one bedrooms? I am sure she will see this tomorrow.

2 Likes

What happens if you buy another contract in the future? Is that one a “home” resort too?

Yes, if you add another resort you will have two home resorts and two 11 month booking windows.

1 Like

Can you combine the points from both and use on either one?

No, I cannot remember where I either read or head a discussion about this in the last week or so. Maybe MouseOwners?

The explanation was: your second home resort does points will not have an 11 month booking window on any other resort. You can do a one time transfer from one contract to another each year but I do not know if that allows more flexibility.

1 Like

Ahh, so at the 11 month mark you can only use points on that resort’s contract, but at 7 months you can combine them? I guess that makes sense. I suppose you could just do a split stay at all your home resorts at the 11 month mark. Man am I jumping ahead of myself!!! I don’t even have one contract yet and in my head I’m making plans for how to use multiple contracts!

3 Likes

One bedrooms do tend to be the last to go

1 Like

That would be a good way to think of it, yes.

1 Like

I would say this: before you get too far down the road, do some research. You really need to understand all of the facets of DVC ownership. Especially with resale rules changing recently.

As to whether you can do it without a broker, I’m sure there’s a way but I don’t know how to direct you in that.

1 Like

If I’m reading it right, the new rule is that the original 14 can trade among themselves, but anything new will be off limits. And any new properties will be limited to themselves and, possibly, future properties (that has not been made clear yet). Unless you purchased by 1/19/19, which I did not. I can see how that would affect the resale of the new propertie, but if you’re buying one of the original 14 the effect is minimal. Everyone buying moving forward is on even playing ground with the original 14, no?

1 Like

There’s no trading. You purchase a contract and you get usable points.

Your points can be used at the 14 original at 11months (home) and 7months(not home).

New ones purchased direct can use anywhere. New ones purchased resale are good only at that one resort.

I would agree that if you’re not buying the new ones on resale (which isn’t even a thing yet) then the effect is minimal. I guess my thinking is just to be aware because it seems like Disney is trying to thwart the resale market, so you’ll want to keep up on the news as you’re considering going through the process

Right, sorry, poor choice of words I my part.

Do you regret buying yours?