West Coast vs East Coast Battle: Christmas, Part 1 (A Trip Report)

Maybe I’m aging myself…

Spoiler Alert: Unlike the rapper battle, this battle just ends in an increased waistline and a whole lotta Christmas spirit…after all it’s Disney!

I’m starting with the West Coast Nov 11-16 with a stay at Disney’s Paradise Pier. Part 2 will take place Dec 17-20 with a stay at Disney’s Old Key West. I will judge on Park Food (attending both coasts version of FoTH), Park Decor, Park Entertainment, Attractions with Holiday Overlays (as I’m attending MVMCP at WDW) using a five-star system and then average that for an overall rating of how well each coast put me in the mood for Christmas.

To be fair since DLR only has two parks and I have less time in Dec for travelling I’ll be comparing DL to the MK and DCA to EPC (since that’s where the FOTH is).

28 Likes

Nice!!! This will be so fun!

4 Likes

Have a great trip!

5 Likes

Wow! Both coasts. I’m envious. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Enjoy!

5 Likes

So fun!!

3 Likes

Excited! I can’t wait to see your photos of the decor.

4 Likes

Sounds great! Looking forward to this!

1 Like

More details on what I plan to try and compare:

Entertainment:
The following can be directly compared.

Disneyland vs Walt Disney World
A Christmas Fantasy Parade vs Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade
Believe…In Holiday Magic Fireworks Spectacular vs Minnie’s Wonderful Christmastime Fireworks
Disney Holiday Dance Party vs. Club Tinsel

I will also rate and do an overall comparison of the remaining holiday Disneyland entertainment offerings including:

1. Wintertime Enchantment at Sleeping Beauty’s Winter Castle
  2. “it’s a small world” Holiday light show
  3. Main Street, U.S.A. Tree Lighting
  4. Holiday Time Tour

and Magic Kingdom Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party Entertainment Offerings:

1. Mickey’s Most Merriest Celebration
  2. A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas
    *Maybe Disney Junior Jingle Jam (but I’m a bit old and only if time allows!)

Festival of the Holidays Entertainment

Disney’s California Adventure Festival of the Holidays Epcot Festival of the Holidays
World of Color - Season of Light Candlelight Processional
Disney ¡Viva Navidad! Street Party Las Posadas Celebration
Blue13 Dance Company A Mischievous Magical Barn Santa
Holiday Concert featuring Phat Cat Swinger La Befana
Mickey’s Happy Holidays vs. Daruma Storyteller
Mostly Kosher Hanukkah Storyteller
Buena Vista Street Holiday Tree Lighting Père Noël
Holiday Toy Drummers Father Christmas
The Mistletoes at Pacific Wharf Stage JOYFUL! A Celebration of the Season
Holiday Concert featuring Tina and The Sounds of Celebration! Canadian Holiday Voyageurs
Meet Santa Claus at Redwood Creek Challenge Trail Santa Claus – The Odyssey Pavilion
*The vs. here is more of an overall entertainment comparison though I did try to pair some things I felt were similar and I may do direct comparisons where possible.

Attractions
Disneyland Resort:

1. Haunted Mansion Holiday
  2. “it’s a small world” Holiday
  3. Luigi’s Joy to the Whirl
  4. Mater’s Jingle Jamboree
  5. Redwood Creek Challenge Trail Magical Holiday

Walt Disney World:

1. Tomorrowland Speedway Race Through the Holidays
  2. Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor Holiday Show
  3. Space Mountain – Holiday Run!!
  4. Mad Tea Party wild and wacky Christmas party
  5. Jingle Cruise
  6. Guardians of Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind – Holiday Remix
  7. Living with the Land “Merry and Bright Nights” Holiday

I will rate each attraction’s overlay in how elaborate & Christmas-y it is. And then do an overall comparison as well.

Food
FoTH: I will compare festival booths offerings on each coast (but of course I cannot eat it all or this might end like the rapper battle for me!)
and
Disneyland daytime holiday specials vs. Magic Kingdom daytime/party offerings

Decorations
This will be more of the amount and the mood it creates and will be an overall rating for each park.

14 Likes

Ooh this is going to be fun! I like the comparison angle.

4 Likes

Non holiday wise I’ll compare a little the use of the MB+ but it won’t be the focus of the trip because Christmas!!! I’ve also taken this solo opportunity to book the Walt’s Main Street Story Tour (so I get to go inside the apartment!) I’m very excited about that. It’s a thing I don’t think hubby or the kids would appreciate as much as me, so I thought solo trip is a great time to do this.

7 Likes

10 Likes

Do you think people can guess where I’m going?

16 Likes

I think you’re going to have to add a sleeping beauty pin to your bag since you’re going to visit her castle.

6 Likes

:heavy_check_mark:

10 Likes

Oooh! I couldn’t quite make that out in the first pic.

1 Like

Yea there was a glare and it’s small. I’m not sure I’m a huge fan of that one but it was in a mystery pack.

2 Likes

Yay!!! Is this travel day? Anything planned for today?

1 Like

I love travelling back in time so yes! I’m planning on using the new paradise pier entrance to DCA and I’m gonna focus on all the Pixar pier and paradise gardens park offerings prioritizing the special FotH live performances and of course Incredicoaster. I have dessert party for 2nd world of color - season of light so let’s hope I can make it to the equivalent of 12:15am to my brain!

7 Likes

That sounds amazing!! Can’t wait to see pictures and hear what you think.

4 Likes

10 Likes