We're Rewatching all the Pixar Films!

Friday, May 26, 2023

Onward (2020)

It’s been a mad dash to watch the last half dozen movies before Elemental comes out not long after our WDW trip for the next two weeks! Early reviews look great, btw.

Onward came out in 2020 right before the shutdowns started. It was the last theatrical release for Disney for a while. It’s box office numbers are sort of a depressing story of those early days of the pandemic:

By the way, that opening weekend wasn’t that great. For some reason it didn’t attract a huge audience off the bat.

My initial memory of watching Onward when it was released on Disney+ was that it was a welcome boon at a time when the whole world was going down the crapper. So I have positive connotations of it. Highlights:

• Chris Pratt and Tom Holland seems like a marketer’s dream team. It actually works pretty well for the film though.
  • It’s interesting how they blend in the actual in-world magical history, and when they don’t. The prologue queues us in on the mythological past.
  • The movie starts off with some typical high school antics / teenage angst.
  • Chris Pratt being the embarrassing, quirky older brother is probably my favorite role of his.
  • The father was an accountant like me. :blush:
  • There is plenty of humor mixed in, my favorite example perhaps being the fairy bikers.
  • There are several nods to Indiana Jones toward the end, including the “leap of faith” and the “footsteps of god.”
  • The “raven’s point” was a clever plot twist.

I’m not going to spoil the ending of this movie because I suspect several of you haven’t seen it. But I’ll just say that all the juvenile escapades in the first 2/3rds are more than made up for with the heartfelt, emotionally fulfilling ending. It’s an ending that means all the more to me now having lost someone close to me recently.

It does not shy away from the complexity of these situations, but it offers some glimmers of hope. It also shows characters who actually learn and grow, which is an important attribute in a film that has an emotional impact for me.

Overall, I think Onward is one of the more underrated Pixar films. It sort of flew under the radar and seems to be forgotten, even by me. But it’s completely worth the time and attention to watch it.

Four stars.

:star::star::star::star:

12 Likes

Saturday, May 27, 2023

Soul (2020)

Soul came out at the very end of 2020 and was initially released on Disney+. Unfortunately, it came out the week that my family and I all caught Covid over Christmas, and there was an unrelated incident with a family member that occurred New Year’s Eve before we watched it that has stung me with a lasting wound. So this movie has some painful associations in my mind. I tried to ignore that when watching this time.

It’s really, really good. Highlights:

• The protagonist, Joe Gardner, played by Jamie Foxx, is really likeable and compelling as someone who has a dream but doesn’t seem to be sure they know why that is their dream.
  • Being “lost in music” or “in the zone” is something I can definitely relate to as someone who enjoys playing and listening to music.
  • The concepts and visuals of the “Great Beyond” and the “Great Before” are both stunning and imaginative.
  • It’s interesting to me to think about what personality is, when it is defined for an individual, and whether we come “pre-programmed,” whether through nature or some supernatural element.
  • I’m a fan of Tina Fey so I really love 22.
  • There are a couple of great lines, both humorous and profound, such as:
    • “You can’t crush a soul here - that’s what life on earth is for”
    • “This is water. I want the ocean.”
  • I laughed out loud at Pizza Rat.
  • The score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross is appropriately pensive.
  • I love the themes of appreciating the small things in life, especially in the wake of the pandemic.

I said up above that I really love a movie that 1) makes me think and 2) makes me feel. I’ll also add that I love a movie that makes me laugh.

This movie made me laugh a lot. Tina Fey’s sense of comedic timing usually gets me.

I also really love the deep themes that are explored, such as “what is the meaning of life?” “What happens when we die?” “Where does our personality come from?” I like some of the answers to these questions that were proposed, but also the way they left it up to the viewer to interpret.

It’s a pretty bold choice to tackle these types of questions in a children’s movie. But I think they went about it just the right way.

This movie did not make me feel as much as some of the others. I didn’t cry. But it was beautifully crafted and made me appreciate life the way it is, and motivated me to make my life more meaningful. That more than made up for any lack of sobbing moments (which, as someone pointed out up there :arrow_up_small:, can be manipulative). It also helps a lot that music is one of my passions.

So I’m going to be so bold as to give this one of my higher ratings.

4.5 stars.

9 Likes

Updated rankings:

It occurs to me that this entire exercise was an experiment in seeing how long it would take me to offend or alienate every single person on the forum. :rofl:

9 Likes

Again 100% agree with your take on this movie.

We watched it on D+ as one of our first movies there when Covid hit. For the first few minutes my brain went “Uh, oh” is this just going to be a goofy trying too hard for the jokes movie?

But it picked up the emotional side pretty deftly after the start.

I have a similar story to the brothers and Dad (except for the magical part), so this one kicks me in the gut every time.

3 Likes

I still need to watch Onward. I kind of rejected everything associated with the early part of the pandemic and the major shift in everyday life. It’s taken me a long time to shed the aversions I created for a lot of things. I will get to this one and hopefully I can enjoy it as much as you did.

I did watch Soul and I remember liking it and how it felt like not just another Pixar film. I should watch it again because even though I had started to enjoy things again by the end of 2020, I’m sure the numbness lingered at least somewhat.

2 Likes

Onward is a magnificent movie.

It was the last movie we saw in the cinema before you know what.

It hit DH hard though. Imagine watching Onward having just lost your big brother less than a year before :cry::cry::cry:

I love it though, even just for the magic.

Soul was a bit meh for me. I liked Graham Norton in it though.

Was John Ratzenbeger in either of these movies? I can’t remember.

I don’t know what you mean Jeff Brave 3.5 Stars AZ :thinking::thinking::thinking::rofl::rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

Apparently he was a construction worker in Onward and a subway passenger in Soul, but I didn’t notice while watching.

2 Likes

Oh at the well?
That seems familiar.

I don’t recall him in Soul at all.

2 Likes

Onward and soul are among my favorites! Actually, the only Pixar I don’t care for is the dinosaur one. Oh, and I haven’t watched Buzz Lightyear; I am not interested.

2 Likes

How did I not know they were in it? I will have to rewatch. I remember liking Onward but not being wowed by it. However, I have a slight obsession with Tom Holland and Zendaya currently, so will rewatch for that alone! :joy:

5 Likes

Giving TS4 3.5 stars is what did it for me! Dude, that movie is barely a 1 star!! :triumph:

jk :joy:

6 Likes

They do such a good job of being Ian & Barley that you don’t even know it’s actually Star-Lord & Spidey.

4 Likes

Onward is such a good low-key fun but also heart-wrenching emotion-packed moment movie. We watched it as soon as it came out on Disney+ not having made it to the theater to see it before the world shut down (I barely, barely, barely made it to see Rise of Skywalker at the end of February bc we’d just had a baby in December two days before the movie came out & end of Feb was the first time I felt human & functional enough to be in a theater & little did I know it was the last couple of weeks of before time to crunch in another movie).

DS11 relates to Ian’s personality a whole lot & fell in love with the movie from the get go. And I can relate to being a mom of two boys that are opposites (although my DS6 is not at all like Barley really). And my DSIL definitely feels that my younger two children fit the mom’s quote of having “one [child] who is scared of everything” (DS6) & “the other that is scared of nothing” (DD3).

My favorite tidbit about Onward is where the story came from. There’s a series on Disney+ about the making of some of the Pixar movies & in the Onward one they cover its real-life origins & it’s a beautiful tribute to the real-life inspiration for Barley. And then when you watch the ending again with the real life origin in mind, it’s another layer to the already beautiful emotion.

So yes, Onward is wonderful.

Soul is good too, in a different way.

I think if you miss just a few crucial moments the whole movie can feel really flat. I missed those crucial moments the first time we watched it because I was helping one of the kids assemble a craft they were gifted for Christmas. And because I missed those crucial moments, I also missed the why of the movie & it just felt like a good background movie with the good jazz & funny moments, but no emotional core. On the 2nd viewing, I saw the crucial scene I missed and had an “aha” moment.

Oh and Ratzenberger is the subway passenger that get agitated when Joe bumps into him once he’s despondent after returning from his adventure to the Great Beyond. I did not piece that together on my own but from the internet. Because everything on here is totally 100 true. In this case especially.

I think you’re doing a great job. It is a very tough cannon to sort & attach value like this. And while I certainly agree with @eeeevah that you’ve SEVERELY undervalued Wall-E, I can appreciate that its pace isn’t just for everyone. (But really, it’s so amazingly wonderful so she is right, it needs more stars).

5 Likes

We have tickets to see Elemental tomorrow and I have three movie reviews to catch up on! I’ll be posting them below this afternoon, hopefully. :blush:

6 Likes

I loved loved loved Elemental! I hope you do too!

3 Likes

Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Luca (2021)

This is one of the few Pixar movies that I never saw in a theater. The first time I saw it was actually in a cabin in the wilderness northeast of Phoenix. Fun times. Highlights:

• The Italian Riviera was a fun setting for this movie. It worked well with the nautical themes and also to infuse some fun cultural elements.
  • I’ve never heard of Dan Romer but he did the score and it is fantastic.
  • The faux “claymation” style is interesting and gives it a distinct personality compared to other Pixar films.
  • I love the cat with the resting suspicious face. :joy:
  • The end credits says, “Produced in our slippers around the bay area.” :joy:

This movie is an extended metaphor for social acceptance and the various obstacles that prevent it from occurring. It’s also a movie about the complexity of human relationships, be it family, romantic, friendship, community, or something that straddles two or more of those categories.

This movie doesn’t make me cry, but it does make me think and feel deeply. I relate to it in so many ways, and also learn from it each time I watch it. The characters are very roundly drawn:

• Luca is very naive and also crippled by fear. He has internalized his parents’ warnings about the world on the surface, and yet he has an insatiable curiosity to learn more.
  • The mother is an interesting character – she loves her son so much, but in trying so hard to protect him, she becomes the very harm she is trying to protect him from.
  • Alberto appeal’s to Luca’s sense of adventure, while helping him quiet his anxiety. He’s just what Luca needs at that moment.
  • Julia stimulates Luca’s intellect, and she is the kind of non-judgmental, accepting friend that he needs.
  • Julia’s father Massimo at first appearance seems menacing and even barbaric, but he turns out to be the most accepting of all.

Overall, Luca is one of my favorite Pixar films. Unlike some of my other favorites, it’s a feel-good movie that doesn’t try to be overly manipulative. It’s happy and upbeat, despite presenting obstacles for the characters to overcome.

It’s hard for me to compare it with the full canon, because some of those films are straight-up masterpieces. Ultimately my decision comes down to which movie I’d want to watch if I had some free time, and so Luca rockets toward the top. 5 stars.

:star::star::star::star::star:

8 Likes

Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Turning Red (2022)

My family loves Turning Red. My kids have watched it literally dozens of times since its release just over a year ago. It’s a common request to download it on the iPads to view while traveling / road tripping. It’s great. Highlights:

• I’m not Chinese and/or Canadian, but I relate a lot to Meilin – she faces intense pressure from her family to live up to their vision of what she should be. At the same time, she has interests that lie outside that predetermined path, so she faces a bit of a dilemma.
  • As someone who graduated in 2001, I loved that the setting was 2002 (Toronto). The Tamagotchi, the boy bands (4*Town in this case), the fashion – it all takes me back. :rofl:
  • Watching it again, I was struck with how the red panda represents Mei’s ability to control her emotions. Controlling emotions is a recurring theme throughout the film – Mei struggles to balance her friendships with her family responsibilities; she often fails to keep her temper in check; she sets herself up for embarrassment and heartache by allowing her emotions to betray her at inopportune moments.
  • The kittens scene is hilarious.
  • “You’re Never Not on My Mind” is ridiculously catchy.

I’ve discussed elsewhere how this film drew a bit of controversy for, among other things, mentioning tampons. :scream: There are also some “sexy” drawings of a boy (for example, he is drawn shirtless as a merman), and a central plot point is Mei’s clash with her mother.

I think that’s all noise. Everything is pretty tame and tastefully done. It has a bit of a modern feel, but every kids’ film broaches uncomfortable topics, including disagreement with parents, and this one resolves that conflict appropriately. Mei learns that honoring her family and parents is important, and she realizes that she made mistakes along the way. She reconciles with her mother.

But she also realizes that as an autonomous person, she deserves a say in her future. That’s important for adolescents to learn, regardless of their culture. It’s also vital for parents to learn that they can’t control their child! If you hold on too tight, you could push them away rather than holding them close. Mei and her mother learn a good balance by the end of the film.

Ok so how does it rank? It’s a good movie. Really good. Worth watching and rewatching. But it’s not one of my top favorites, just because the others are all so good. 3.5 stars.

9 Likes

Thursday, June 15, 2023

Lightyear (2022)

Lightyear is the newest of the Pixar films and I’ve only seen it twice: once in theaters and once the other night. Highlights:

• The concept is cool – I like the idea of seeing the movie that inspired the toy Buzz that Andy bought, and there are some nice Easter Eggs in this regard. Although you can’t think too hard about it, because this is clearly a movie made in 2023, not 1995.
  • Sox the Cat is possibly my favorite character and gets the biggest laughs. My wife had a cat named Sox that passed away right when we started dating – one of our first bonding moments.
  • Ok, I have a soft spot for Taika Waititi, too. There’s this line where Sox mentions the weirdness of not wearing pants and Mo (Taika) says, “I wish I could pull that off.” :joy:
  • The “sandwich” gag was pretty hilarious.
  • There’s a scene with Izzy at an airlock that makes my palms sweat just thinking about it.
  • Michael Giacchino nails it with the theme fanfare that recurs throughout. But there weren’t a lot of memorable music moments beyond that.
  • The robot that gives them the briefing has a great post-credits scene.
  • There is a second post-credits scene implying a sequel that I doubt will ever get made given the poor reception of the film.

The last third of this movie is much better than the first 2/3rds. The time-warp plot is simply too convoluted for a kids’ movie. I admire their gumption in attempting it, but you basically spend an hour meeting all these irrelevant characters and then you finally get to the primary plot. (Maybe I need a few more times watching before I make a final judgment on this.)

That said, I love the team that they build and it was a fun romp. It’s the type of movie where you gather a bunch of misfits and failures, put them together in a stressful situation, watch their bonds form and their underlying talent to be exposed, and then the magic happens when they finally work together as a team.

It is nowhere near as bad as some people say and doesn’t deserve hate. But it’s also not a movie I particularly enjoy compared to all the other amazing Pixar offerings. 3 stars.

:star::star::star:

5 Likes

:drum::drum::drum:

Here it is … my final ranking of all 26 Pixar films!

… well, that is until I see Elemental tomorrow. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Tune in for my review! I will blur it with spoiler tags as necessary. I probably won’t give it a permanent slot in the rankings just yet since I will need to let it marinate.

7 Likes

Okay, so one theory I read is that Alberto and Luca perhaps may have a budding romantic relationship. You can see it if you’re looking for it. And, with that lens, when Alberto arranges for Luca to go to school while he stays behind, and then he chases after the train… :sob:

Also, I love the grandma.

Overall, I love your top 4 in the final rankings and can’t fault you for those.

Thanks for taking us along. We won’t see Elemental until next weekend so I won’t be back until then!

3 Likes