'We're going to the happiest place on earth and you are going to like it'

Do you have any guidebooks? Maybe something along those lines (The Birnbaum one for kids is good) would give them something to hang onto - they could get a sense of what there is to see/do and start to identify what interests them.

I was a bit concerned how unexcited my kids were about going the first time, but I think it was mostly due to them not understanding what it even was. We had hardly been to any theme parks or such, only very small ones. I did at some point ponder if there was any point in going if I’m the only one looking forward to it. But they got more excited once the trip got closer (we watched some videos of rides and things they might be interested in) and we had a great time.

My wife is still totally indifferent about going… not against it by any means but it’s clearly not that important for her, and thats fine to me.

My advice would be to maybe encourage them to look at what they might like there but otherwise just not stressing about it.

3 Likes

This is it.

I am not excited about WDW and I’m here! My kids enjoy it and I made it happen for them. Last here 2016 and never dreamt we’d be back this soon. It’s been a good trip, but my excited meter never got higher than a 4 or 5…

3 Likes

This is my wife too. She is willing to go once a year since I love it (and now the kids do too) and she enjoys her self the first few days we are there, but by Day 4’ish she is ready to come home.

1 Like

Could be the ages too. I went when I was around 12 and I was “too cool” for Disney by then. I still had a lot of fun once we got there, but I’m sure I never admitted it.

I also agree that there is a difference between not wanting to go and not being excited. My husband has never been so he doesn’t really understand it. He doesn’t seem excited, but I wouldn’t say he doesn’t want to go. I’ve been and am insanely excited to see my kids enjoying the magic! I’m too excited to sleep (which is awful since I’m still 50+ days out lol).

2 Likes

I like taking people to Disneyland (or WDW) for the first time! Most people I’ve taken have loved it, even if they weren’t excited to go. But if there is someone who is determined not to enjoy themselves, there’s really nothing you can do. Best to figure out which camp they fall in before spending money on a trip.

1 Like

This is my situation. But she has no problems with me going solo (except for the $$$). She feels that by her staying home we save most of $1000 (for a week) and I don’t have to plan around some of her physical limitations and she doesn’t have to feel guilty that she might “be holding me back” from having a good time (and I don’t spend the whole time hoping she’s actually enjoying it of if she’s just “going along with it” because I enjoy it).

2 Likes

We took our first trip in 2017. None of us (me, DH, and 3 kids - 5, 7, 10 at the time) had ever been. I’d done virtually all of the research/planning - and there’s nothing suited to planning more than a WDW vacation!

In order to get everyone excited, every night we took a ring off the countdown chain and took turns saying something we were excited about. I had given them park maps for Christmas, so they could look at the list of rides/shows. Forced a lot of the info/planning out of my head and into theirs :slight_smile:
We watched a lot of ride videos too. I don’t find them interesting, but the kids were really into it.

Now we’re going back in 2020, and hitting up Universal for the first time…will start the countdown chain after Christmas!

1 Like

I used to line up Disney toys on the counter and they would take one off each day. We. had a ton, they were in Happy Meals back then. With a big Mickey doll at the end.

In general, though, I don’t worry about them having a good time once we arrive at our destination, on any vacation we take. I’m by far the pickiest in the family, if I’m happy with the plans I don’t have to worry about them.

1 Like

This might be better, going in with little to no expectations should make it fun.:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I agree. I think the kids just don’t realize what an awesome time they’re about to have.

2 Likes

Before we did our first Disney cruise, DH and the two DSes were laughing at me and making fun of me every time I tried to talk about it or even plan our excursions. Now, we’re going on cruise 3 and they can’t wait. They loved it. They laughed, but they loved it and no one is making fun of me anymore.

As for WDW, my older DS went through a phase of having no interest, but at 16 on our last trip, he said our AK day was the best day he’d ever had on vacation. He’d love to go back.

So don’t feel too bad. Just take them, be flexible enough that if they’re not having a great time you can change things up and it’ll be fine.

5 Likes

I think the key to making Disney World trips enjoyable for non-Disney fans is to cool on the obsession. You might consider it the “Happiest Place on Earth”, but your family might see hour-long lines to have 5 minutes of fun, wrapped around eating overpriced lousy food surrounded by people who should have outgrown wearing mouse ears decades ago.

Yes, Disney World and the obsession some people have for all things Disney can rub others the wrong way. If you try to force it, you’ll get resistance… and everybody loses in that situation.

Or you can just plan the trip for them, knowing the things that they probably would like to do (if it weren’t branded “Disney”, for example) and not overdoing anything. (In other words, don’t get a Disney-skeptic FastPasses for “Small World”.)

If you really believe in Disney magic, let it work it’s wonders with you only gently guiding things in the background.

4 Likes

I lived my first 45 years within 25 mins of DL. From the time that I could remember we went as kids at least once a year and then in my mid 20s I became an AP holder. Now for the last 9 years, I live in the SF Bay Area, and most NorCals will say, “Oh, I’ve been to DL once,” and then change the subject. If they don’t have children, they don’t see the appeal. I know I love Disney because it encapsulates many of my favorite childhood memories, and others just miss out.