We're FINALLY Going! Pre-Trip Report

After months of uncertainty and bad luck, we finally confirmed our DVC rental for October 4-10. Before getting to the fun stuff, here’s a look at some of our abysmal luck:

• April 26-May 2 Beach Club Villas DS2 first trip- CANCELLED, thanks pandemic
  • July 5-12- Covid will be over, right?!- CANCELLED
  • Late August WDW/UOR big family trip- CANCELLED, Covid too bad in FL
  • Multiple September trips- CANCELLED, poor kitty had an Iris Melanoma and had to have an enucleation, then we had to wait for pathology report. Kitty’s prognosis is good and we booked WDW trip.

DH, DS3, and I are headed to AKL Kidani Savanna view. We’re fine with the limited dining options there/nearby and plan on early evenings. Hooray for normal bedtime for our little guy and wine on the balcony. We’ll be driving, about 12 hours, we’ve done this many times before. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever flown to MCO for Disney specifically :thinking: The drive is by no means fun and Disney World is the only reason I will ever drive that distance!

I’ve made plans, but don’t plan on sticking to them rigidly, it’s really up to DS and what he likes and wants to do. We plan on avoiding indoor eating, and really any TS. We’re trying to eat at various places around the World a lot and see resorts we haven’t stayed at yet.

Monday- Magic Kingdom, breakfast at Captain Cook’s (really want that Tonga toast!) and then taking the ferry to MK. Lots of snacks and probably Pinocchio Village Haus for lunch. Hoping to get to Geyser Point for dinner.

Tuesday- Animal Kingdom, hoping to do to-go at Sanaa for breakfast, otherwise we’ll eat in the park. Lunch at Flame Tree- so excited to try this! For dinner we’ll head to Disney Springs and wander around.

Wednesday- Epcot, we may cancel this day and do a repeat at MK or AK, there just doesn’t seem to be a lot to do other than eat and shop :joy: which DH and I are both fine with and we love Epcot, but I just don’t know if it justifies a ticket. If we do EP, we’ll grab breakfast at Contempo Cafe so DS can watch the Monorail :heart_eyes: and then head over to the park. We’ll obviously eat and drink around World Showcase and get dinner in Mexico as the park is closing so we can see some lights after dark.

Thursday- Resort day, possibly resort hopping for breakfast depending on the Sanaa to-go situation. Dinner at Homecomin’ and maybe Fantasia Gardens

Friday- MK again (assuming DS loves it as much as I think he will). Sleepy Hollow for breakfast, although I’ve seen reports of really long lines recently. Lunch at either Pecos Bill or Cosmic Rays. After the park closes we’ll head to the Boardwalk for Pizza Window and Beaches n’ Cream to go. That should be a great ending to our week.

As a note, we decided against HS. I haven’t been since it was MGM! I cannot wait to see TSL and GE, but it just doesn’t look enjoyable with current crowd levels and there definitely doesn’t seem to be enough there to warrant a ticket (IMO).

Trying to think if I’ve missed anything in planning. I can’t believe it’s finally happening! Guess there’s still time for something to go wrong :grimacing: As far as Covid, we’ve been extremely careful at home and plan to continue at WDW. DH and I have talked and have no problem skipping out on things that don’t feel safe. Pretty much the whole trip was already a sunk cost and this is really our last opportunity to go in the next couple of years, so who knows if we would’ve been able to use our DVC credit before it expires. Mainly, we just really want some sense of normalcy and fun for DS. We live near a Cedar Fair park and Busch Gardens and neither opened this summer and it’s all he talked about. Luckily he doesn’t know what he’s “missing” at Disney with the limited offerings right now and I know he’s going to have a blast.

Can’t wait to update on our trip and hope you guys enjoy following along! Let me know if I’m missing anything or you have any experiences to share.

19 Likes

We skipped DHS on my son’s first trip a couple of years ago and I have no regrets! Especially if it allows you a second day at Magic Kingdom.

Enjoy!! That Kidani pool is to die for at that age! Our Oct trip was originally planned for AKL and I will miss it.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to follow along. Love that you have your priorities in order…food!

3 Likes

YAY!! First trip for 3 year old! So fun!! Can’t wait to follow along! I wold love to see pics of the pool too. Praying for no more disruptions and smooth travels!

1 Like

Have a fantastic time! I want to encourage you to keep your Epcot day, there actually is a lot there that my DD3 really enjoyed. Frozen, Soarin, Journey into Imagination, The Seas pavilion with all the sea life to explore, the Mexico boat ride, character cavalcades, etc. In spite of the construction, you won’t be bored!
ETA: Unfortunately the monorail is not running from the Contemporary to Epcot yet.

2 Likes

Oooo savannah view! That will make for the perfect nights!! Can’t wait to follow!

1 Like

We went in August and had a savanna view. It was heavenly! Sounds like you are all set for an amazing trip!

I personally love HS, but with your son’s age, probably the one to skip.

2 Likes

Yay another trip report to follow! Thanks for letting us tag along :wink:

1 Like

We’re staying those dates too! We rented DVC at Boulder Ridge, this is our first rental experience. Maybe we will see you at MK on Friday!

2 Likes

I am so excited for the pools at Kidani and Jambo! I’ve been to AKL a couple times, but I’m pretty sure I missed the pools on those trips :woman_facepalming:t3: Do you know if the pool bars are any good? I see that the one at Kidani (I think!) is open.

2 Likes

Oh food is always a priority on vacation :heart_eyes: I am SO excited to try the Halloween snacks, I’ve never been for any holidays!

1 Like

Thank you so much! Hopefully no issues from here out. My husband texted me today and said, “cancelling Disney!” I freaked out so bad and turns out he was just kidding! He owes me now :joy:

1 Like

Ohhh I really want to stay there! We plan on heading to check it the resort and have dinner one night. I just checked the weather and it looks like it’s going to be a little cooler for our week. Well, as much as we can tell this far out haha.

1 Like

both are wonderful, though even non-COVID the food offerings are very basic and limited.

1 Like

Just to add … I didn’t try the food, but that Frozen Colava is amazing!

1 Like

NOT funny! He better come home with flowers…or Mickey bars, luggage would be ok too! hehe

1 Like

Glad you finally get to go! I prefer driving too. It’s about 8 hours for us, and it’s a pain, but it’s so much easier to just load up everything you need! Have fun!

1 Like

And u have the added benefit of having a car at your disposal vs renting, uber or Disney transport

1 Like

Definitely! I loved having the car at the parks. If I wanted to take the toddler back to the room while the rest partied on, I didn’t have to worry about handling him and the stroller alone on the bus. In reality, we only did this once (and then they boarded a bus by the time we were in the room :rofl::rofl:) but it took away the what if anxiety. Plus, of course, we could get around a little quicker.

1 Like

I’m actually really excited at all of the stuff I can easily bring now that we aren’t flying…like my Keurig :coffee: I’ve never like using shared coffee pots, so I figured it’s as good a time as any to bring my own.

1 Like