Website Redesign: Attraction Wait & Genie Return Times charts

I like blue better than red. Personal preference.

Neither color works well with white lettering. As was mentioned already.

I like the bar graph.

I’m not conversant with Genie+, as we didn’t use it last summer. I can figure out the red or blue graph’s info - as in availability at a certain time. What I can’t figure out is the big white areas.

2 Likes

I agree- I think the graphs themselves could have colors, but the overall page itself should be black and white. Using background colors on the page can be jarring and reduce readability as others have said.

2 Likes

This makes the most sense. And make sure to label everything on the graph.

2 Likes

Yes, I think reversing times on the blue one would end up being the best presentation.

2 Likes
  1. I like the graph of post wait vs actual wait. I like the blue color. Its easier to see the writing for me.
  2. I do not understand what the TP users wait times is suposed to represent. It looks like this data is as of 8am. So is the wait times projected or observed? Also, I think the A and B options should be clear: by booking time, by return time. Also, I do not see what attraction this is for. Location info could be helpful too.
  3. Only have placement suggestions. The " Our statistics…" Could be a bit smaller and switched with “How does this compare…”, which could be a bit bigger. Also the chart could be a bit bigger. It’s hard to read.
2 Likes

I have trouble with both blue and red colored backgrounds. Really hurts my eyes. I agree with Ryan here. Either keeping the white, or a grey or a really dark gray or blue might be easier to read.

2 Likes

I second this

2 Likes

My two cents: I would prefer a clean line chart in the new modern format than the bar chart. The bar chart hides some of the data visually.

For return times, I like the blue version.

Would have light backgrounds and dark text for all.

I would remove the text on the left, and hide/remove the data submissions so that the chart is the only focus. Would ensure that the ride name and park is prominent, as well as the TP branding for social media shares

3 Likes

@len Would it be possible to have historical/forecasted LL return times for the day on a single line? Similar to how thrilldata does it, by displaying the data labels, color coding optional. Then you can fit many rides on the page and it becomes a great G+ planning tool.

2 Likes

I really like the font and composition of the info, but both color schemes are hard to read. Recommend making these layouts 3-color ways and going to lighter backgrounds or just white. I think they’d be much easier to read.

I agree the times on top of the graph are a little weird, but graphically it makes a lot of sense to see availability decrease so I’d keep it.

For the user submitted wait times - are those updated showing actuals from the specific day? Really helpful to see!

1 Like

I prefer the Red (better contrast for me). This new data display is much easier to quickly decipher. Looks good.

Interesting. Maybe we’d put that on the park landing page (like the MK landing page)? Which graph did you have in mind?

1 Like

What I’d like is an automated, real-time version of the planning charts @rgandillon published earlier this year on average LL availability. Link

This is similar to, but better than thrilldata b/c the color coding tells you something new: how confident you can be that an LL will be available at a given booking time. Thrilldata has a chart with average return times, but it’s of limited use b/c it doesn’t account for the fact that a given ride (eg Rise) is usually sold out.

Having Becky’s charts updated with historical data and reforecasted in (semi) real time, would be an invaluable planning tool. Right now I struggle to estimate LL return times and adjust during the day.

7 Likes

These would be awesome charts to have!

2 Likes

I’ll admit, I’ve always found those heatmap style charts very difficult to actually use. I’m not sure how to make use of it, practically. But if it could be made clearer, maybe that would help.

But…the fact that the times in the chart, vertically, are all over the place I find terribly confusing. Why does the 7 am column have times ranging from 8:30 am to 6:15 pm???

I agree - I love these charts.

3 Likes

You use it to estimate what LL’s you can expect to book when and what return time to expect. For example the chart says that SDD at 7AM, on average at DHS high-CL days, has a RT of 6:15PM, then 6:30PM at 8AM, etc. The light green color says that SDD at 7AM is a high probability of still being available but at 9AM it’s a 50/50, so don’t count on it.

That’s on average though. What I want is a chart for a specific day, and have it updated with actual LL RT’s as the day progresses, and times still in the future get reforecasted based on how the day is going so far. That would adjust in real time to day-to-day unexpected patterns e.g. ToT shut down half its elevators last week, NYD has temporary increased availability in the morning bc of people sleeping in, etc. anything that deviates from historical patterns really.

3 Likes

From the perspective of someone who likes infographics, I love the poppy colors and clean layout. All of these would make fantastic posters. From the perspective of someone who enjoys practical charts… not so much. I find the text a little hard to process and the graph is a tad difficult to read.

I think the infographic is good for this, but I would make the “sharable image” thing separate. For that I would look for a simplified design (inspiration) which displays the time in an easy format for social media users to understand while having plenty of room for branding brass :smile:. People who actually want to see the forecast can do that using an interface explicitly designed for seeing the forecast, rather than an interface designed for social media readability.

This would by far be my favorite in terms of ease of reading. The blue is soft on the eyes while the forecast on the graph (not the previous times) takes brightness priority.

As for the Y axis, I like delta-time (eg, 50 minutes) when I want to see how long a wait will be, but I prefer plain old time when trying to see when it will run out. (I had a few ideas for this–See Sketch #2 below). I think it should be an option to choose what type of value is presented on the Y axis (time, delta-time, business, etc.)

I dislike that the “reported wait times” is a critical element on the page. I think that should be more of an afterthought for the graph and not a priority. People can see in their Disney app what the current wait time is, and information about how it was previously is going to be of little use to them unless they are trying to forecast tomorrow (going to my next point about that soon) and especially when there is no comparison there about how accurate the day’s forecast was. It’s just padding.

I think the importance of the lightning lane graphs is that they are a forecast. When I pull up a wait time estimator app, I expect to see how it is now, how it will be soon, and how it will be later on in the day. Basically, if it’s “I can wait on this” or “if I don’t ride it now (or by __ I won’t be able to ride it today”. I also want to quickly see how it will be tomorrow or the day after, and visually compare.

Overall, I think it should look more like a weather app (which has to quickly relay information about the future) rather than an infographic (which relays statistics about a specific topic instead).

I made a few sketches, you can see them below here:

Sketches/Ideas

I love this communication and community outreach from the TP team. Thanks for all your hard work! :grin:

9 Likes

I’m wowed by this! It’s perfect. Your “sketches” look like the real thing.

3 Likes

Okay, let me look at these. Thanks Joshua!

3 Likes