Weather in January? What Clothing?

So I’ve been to Orlando in virtually every month of the year but somehow never in January. I assume it’s not far off from February (which is a month I have traveled in), but I’d love to hear from locals and other frequent travelers.

Do you suggest long pants? Long shirts? Layers? Will a poncho be good or a raincoat better? Would you bother with shorts? If it helps, the first day of travel is January 19.

Thanks in advance!

Paging @ThorKat and @ScottFL

9 Likes

So you are joining in on our mini liner meet weekend?
As for weather, seriously you have to take all kinds of stuff. In Jan 2021 and 22 we wore everything from short sleeves and shorts, to multiple layers on top with gloves and heavier coats with jeans. Take some of everything, each day will likely be different. I know you don’t like cooler temps much, so I think you would be fine without taking shorts. I imagine that when I am comfortable in shorts, you would not be. When I feel miserably hot, you would feel perfect/normal. I’ll just say in the last 2 years of going in mid-January, we were never anywhere close to hot. Some would say they were freezing though.

8 Likes

You’re going for my birthday trip too??!! :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:
How did I not know this already??

9 Likes

How did I not know you were going to be in Orlando mid January? Are you going to WDW? (Dumb question?)

9 Likes

Ahem!!
You mean " @Shmebulock’s birthday trip " :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

10 Likes

I really wish you were coming. No way your DH could watch the kids for a week while you join your American friends in Florida? Just ask for that as your Christmas present, how could anyone say no to that?

11 Likes

Me tooooooooo!

9 Likes

Yes! So sorry! I messed up the name of that one. :rofl:

7 Likes

Because I’m already getting a Lego DeLorean :woman_shrugging:t4::rofl:

Wish I could be there. One day… :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::smiley::smiley::laughing:

9 Likes

Regarding the weather: I recall that you get cold in 60 degree weather? Bring winter gear including mittens. Better to be safe than sorry. I wore sleeveless tops and 5 layers of longsleeves atop one another all in the same week the past few Januarys. And that was coming from 13 degree weather back home. I think you will be cold with that AZ blood.

10 Likes

I am pretty sure he will be cold no matter what the temps are that week, because thankfully (for us) it won’t be anywhere close to 95 degrees with 100 percent humidity.

8 Likes

Yay for @Jeff_AZ joining the gathering!!! I am so wicked excited about this!!

I agree with packing a little of everything. But I love the winter months in WDW. So much more delightful than summer.

13 Likes

How was this for a sneaky announcement?! :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

17 Likes

Yes

All of the above.

Be prepared for 80 degrees or 40 degrees, all in the same week. And if it’s windy and or damp, you’ll really be cold.

Even with dry sunny normal temps you will want layers. RD and evenings can be chilly for normal folk.

Ask Santa for some of those handwarmers that recharge with USB cable. I like to fold my scarf to provide a pocket at the back of my neck to put a regular chemical handwarmer.

A rain jacket that can double as a wind breaker and accommodate a polar fleece layer underneath should work. You can also get long underwear - polyester - to layer under regular long sleeve shirts and pants. Also a pair of rain pants to layer over your regular pants.

Pretty soon we’ll have you looking like Maggie Simpson.

All seriousness aside, I do bring a generously fitting rain coat, polar fleece sweater or vest, wicking pants, scarf, gloves, and water proof shoes.

Also be sure to pack swim wear. You just never know . . .

6 Likes

I think he gets cold in 70 degree weather. :thinking:

7 Likes

When do you depart?

Sneaky announcement indeed!

9 Likes

No way?!! You are coming too?!!! I’m so excited about this! :grin::grin:

And if your question was real. From a former Arizonian I feel like in general FL winters are warmer than AZ. But there were a handful of days last year we were bundled up for park days.

6 Likes

When I was there in 2020 at the end of January (squeezed in that solo trip before it all went bad) and the mornings were cool, days were moderate, and the nights could get chilly. I did an after hours event and forgot my jacket, so I was “forced” to buy a shirt. I recommend keeping an eye on the forecast and wear layers.

9 Likes

Omg omg omg omg omg Mr. Heart Chart himself is joining our mini liner meetup (aka @Shmebulock birthday trip)?!?

10 Likes

I swear I said a couple months ago that we should have a FArts meet and it is now coming true!

10 Likes