Wdwtoday YouTube Video (now known as “That Thing”) Thread

What is so sad to me is that Disney will jump through hoops to help, but the first outbreak, no matter how small could potentially shut them down forever. When did flattening the curve become we need to quarantine until complete eradication? Do not get me wrong, I completely understand this is not the typical flu and I do not want to see our health care system completely overwhelmed, but to task Disney with ensuring no breakouts is utterly crazy

10 Likes

I keep on thinking that they most likely have to worry about lawsuits regardless of what they do.

4 Likes

So sad…I could have gotten the “regular flu …whatever that is” on my trip last October…how the heck did we get here? So if I got the annual version of whatever the flu looks like, I should sue :disappointed:

I really don’t think so. Every place is going to be in the same situation. Schools, even. It’s not like a food contagion where you can track it to a certain food establishment and often mishandling. They’ll add some legalese and if they comply with health guidance, they will be ok, especially if they make a reasonable effort with proactive policies.

Oh, they could still get sued, but it won’t hold up. Not for the parks anyway.

Cruises may be a different story because passengers are a bit at their mercy and unable to walk away from a bad situation in many cases, so I think there is more responsibility there.

2 Likes

I know in my state the schools are protected but everyone seems to sue Disney for everything these days.

2 Likes

I posted in chat but I might as well put it here. I saw this on a dvc website. Most likely a mistake or just Disney trying to manage all reservations but:

3 Likes

I got it to work. Thanks! I couldn’t watch it but I could “share” it so I just emailed the video to myself then clicked on the link in the email.

1 Like

I’d bet cash money that the rinky-dink, 75-person company for which I work has gotten sued at least three times as many times as Disney has in the last five years. And we don’t sell anything physically dangerous.

1 Like

It seems they are taking further steps to limit liability. I noticed that they updated their “terms of use” a couple of days ago such that you are prompted to read their new “user agreement” anytime you go to their website. I actually did read through this to try to see if I could figure out what had been added/ changed in response to the pandemic but I could not find any obvious portions of the legalese translation of “it is not our fault if you get sick,” and I don’t even remember if I ever read through their previous user agreement. Some interesting bits: prohibition of class action lawsuits and everything is supposed to be handled by arbitration but if a case is brought it has to done in NY and the limit of monetary damages is $1000. Also, that use of any official Disney platform is an agreement to these terms. These are the chunks that stood out to me when I read it a couple of days ago, and I am not a lawyer, so I probably got some of the terms above wrong or misunderstood some things…the pieces that I found interesting though have probably always been part of their user agreement. Anybody know what was new in this version?

Also says it for Kidani Village. The 7/30/2020 on the main page and if you try to book, it says 7/31/2020. But you can still make a reservation through Expedia?

I doubt this would happen at Disney.

However, small (compared to Disney) local parks:

1. advertise for hire - anyone already recovered from Covid-19 given first priority.

2. advertise heavily - anyone buying a ticket agrees to hold the park management harmless for injury or sickness.

3. advertise heavily - enter at your own risk.

I would not enter. I would not be surprised if plenty of locals would run not walk.

(Does Idaho have an amusement park? )

I know I know - this doesn’t address the WDW issue. Much like cruise ships don’t really.

And: really? Is it a possible possibility? No fall semester for colleges?

Were there lawsuits after the measles outbreak at DL? I know not exactly the same, but the best comparable.

Most likely not but if Disney opens and everything is exactly the same as it was before they close and people get sick after a visit or die- would the argument be that Disney would be negligent? I believe they will have to be talking about what steps they need to take to demonstrate they implemented plans to protect (as much as possible)?

It is a crazy new world we are all living in. I will use the schools as an example (it is my world). My district is large- schools between 950-2000 students and staff on a daily basis. How do you manage that? Cafeteria? Bathrooms? Buses? Have you seen a middle school hallway between classes? What do you do? Half sessions? School every other day for different groups? What impact would that have?

4 Likes

Yes! Silverwood is in North Idaho. They have announced their opening will be delayed, no set date to open yet.

1 Like

Good analogy. The same problems in each scenario, really.

2 Likes

Goodness - northern Idaho

Sounds as tho the owners are sensible anyway.

Schools need to open, but yes also a potential disaster area. ok, so this is discussed recently in another thread in a different context. But maybe schools will have go to full year track systems. So kids go all year, but have different on/off schedules. This type of system has been used for overcrowding. Most parents hate this system; but it might be preferable to homebound school and regular density.

I saw your comments on the other thread. There has been some discussion about the summer. It is tough in the north east where none of our buildings have air conditioning. I think the schools will be willing to try anything to get the kids in the buildings-anything. Will a split schedule delay an economic rebound? Will it add to family stress? Or will 33-50% help?

3 Likes

I was daydreaming yesterday about potential solutions to the school problem - one far-fetched idea that I wondered about would be doing boarding schools. Put everyone under age 25 in a closed campus for 2-3 months. The older teenagers and 20-25 year olds would be the counselors and teachers so at-risk individuals wouldn’t be exposed. Then the virus could be introduced so that all the kids and young adults would get herd immunity (like a giant chicken pox party). Once the infections have cycled through, you’d have 40% herd immunity and could open up more of the economy.

Like I said, far fetched, but I could imagine it working in an alternate universe.

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s such an alternate universe kind of thing. I mean, most parents aren’t going to have their younger kids go away for several months.

As to getting used to getting exposed, yes. That’s going to have to happen. NYC and a few hot spots are scary. Here in Missouri, most of us are staying at home - even before the “order”. Most hospitals have plenty of beds. I don’t know about PPE. It would seem on the surface that we’ve self isolated almost too well.

As we have more info about immediate symptoms/person, we can perhaps make better plans going forward. We’ll have to cross the chronic aspects bridge later. Pretty much all boils down to antibody testing.

We have a couple of months to try to get that in place - and ramped up to a meaningful level - to perhaps save the fall semester for colleges.

Another point: apparently folks have self isolated through out history during pandemics. And here we are, still. Possibly even having prospered.

1 Like