WDWNT "At War" with Disney

I just have to say that I love how you use the expression, “load of rubbish”…so British!

3 Likes

It’s not the expression I wanted to use but I thought people might be offended :joy:

4 Likes

I never understood why people reacted that way to the Trackers. I’ve always enjoyed the off-beat tone of the videos.

3 Likes

Same. His overview/exploration of the contemporary was one of the most thorough and informative ones I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Do you love it or are you chuffed?

@missoverexcited Did I do that right?

You could say “I’m chuffed that you used that expression”, yes.

1 Like

That sounds naughty…

2 Likes

:see_no_evil::hear_no_evil:

I have never, ever known, seen, or heard of any ill will towards WDWNT – except on WDWNT (until this thread). I always found it bizarre that mid-way through an article, there would be a sentence (or at times a whole paragraph, and now a whole dang article) about how poorly people spoke of WDWNT. I always felt like – wait, why are specifically telling your readers that they are people who doubt your reporting/don’t like you? Why would you advertise that??

I actually do appreciate their news and understand that rumors are rumors and not set in stone. So I didn’t think it was a big deal when Disney denied the rumor – that’s why it’s a rumor and not an announcement. And I enjoy most of their contributors’s stories/update reports. I don’t find them click-baity like other sites (the food blog one being the worst, drives me nuts when I click on an article that is literally nothing but links to other articles–with other ads), it’s hard to not write a headline that summarizes an article’s content without making someone want to click it. (FWIW, I don’t think a title like “Disney Rumored to Replace XYZ Attraction” is click-bait…to me, click-bait is “You Won’t BELIEVE What Disney is Planning to Do Next!”)

1 Like

On chat yesterday : WHY are people still reading their rumors

That comment was in response when someone posted that they read on wdwnt that the Fountain of Nations was being removed (true).

These comments are on chat just about every day.

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to offend, I wasn’t saying they didn’t happen – just that I was unaware of it UNTIL I read it on WDWNT (and wondering why they’d point out people don’t trust them on their own site). (plus I’m not on chat very often at all unless I’m in the parks).

1 Like

You did not offend at all! As I said earlier, I am just broken hearted about the attacks.

1 Like

I stay away from internet wars and internet attacks. But I feel for the line staff who have to deal with the floods of calls and e-mails to save beloved rides when the site posts something speculative. They are trying to get through their work day, and I am quite sure it gets derailed. Haven’t we all had that e-mail (or e-mails) that completely derail our day (or week) and in the end it was much ado about nothing? Everyone is scrambling to figure out where this came from? I guarantee Cast Members were being yelled at about these rumors.

For this, I am sure there are managers who are at war with the site because of the stress it causes people far removed from Bob Chapek.

Having said that, perhaps these floods of phone calls and emails HAVE saved beloved rides and attractions. So there is that. I am an “everything in moderation” person - so I mostly wish he would use a little more discretion and a little more moderation. I won’t be losing any sleep if he doesn’t, but there are probably plenty of CMs making $15 an hour who will.

1 Like

I have a hard time taking seriously a blog, Twitter, etc. that “reviews” ice cream.

My impression is that there’s a need to be first with (potential) news, so they rush to post whatever they hear without validating the source. And the pettiness when they’re called out on things is really childish.

2 Likes

Do you read DFB?

Sorry, that was an instant response but I think every Disney blog reviews food item. I just shared this with my family yesterday /

1 Like

Food reviews are my favorite!! I love hearing about the new treats at WDW (even if I don’t agree with them)!

5 Likes

Sounds like every other media company today.

2 Likes

because we are looking for the important news!

3 Likes

He has quite a funny way of showing it, then.

(Old Timer Voice) I’ve been on the internets for 30 years, and seen flame wars both big and small, on topics both trivial and deadly serious. Across all those years and sites, I say emphatically Disney SuperFans are by far - by miles - the biggest, most self-important crackpots online. I mean, we’re talking about rumors of what’s getting built, in an amusement park, from a company founded on creating cartoons. Is that a gross and crass oversimplification? Sure. But we’re not curing cancer, here. And yet, these factions of equally tedious misanthropes argue with one another like they’re fighting the Harlan County War, or something.

My palaver about “Walt-Jesus” and Church of Disney is my snotty response to this near-religious fervor. And I sometimes get queasy thinking about all the hours I’ve spent “wading through all this unbelievable junk” (h/t Elvis Costello). From Mice Chat and Al Lutz’s endless world-weary sighs about the gargoyle ugliness of WDW face characters (anyone outside the Los Angeles basin is grossbuckets) to the bug-eyed budget-boarders on DISboards toting bags of frozen soup in their checked bags to save enough on food to afford another night at Pop Century. All these sites catering to sects, synods, temples, reformations, and counter-reformations, each possessing its own sure knowledge of the One True Faith. That kind of perfervid attention goes to the site owners’ heads, and soon they count themselves among those great but sad figures of history who were only lauded for their brave truth-telling when it was too late.

And don’t get me started on Disney Twitter. I found that wormhole about five years ago and nearly lost my mind. When I found myself hate-reading a linked blog post on (I kid you not) the semiotics of the support pillars for the former People Mover in Disneyland, I belatedly knew it was time to delete the app and do something more meaningful like re-arrange my kitchen cabinets.

2 Likes

It may be his own twisted “I am going to save my own personal Disney” love…but I don’t think he is unique in those character traits…