WDW with a broken ankle-trip report with helpful tips

That is awesome. I could do something like that if I could get the supplies. But I can’t drive and it’s a lot of work to get someone else to come and get me, load up the scooter and take me to the store, etc. etc.

What did you use for the extra padding? I’m going to look thru my sewing and craft stuff and see if I can come up with something.

One more question. Did anyone ever get caught in the rain on their scooter? wondering if a poncho would get caught up in the wheels.

You can get the extra pad from Amazon as well. Just search for “memory foam pad fir knee scooter”.
I am more of a rain coat kinda guy not poncho so i had no issues. Funny thing though whichever foot you are pushing with will get very wet. Think of where you push off, right behind the front wheel which is splashing back as you ride.

So much to do in so little time. Now need to buy a cheap rain coat and knee pad too.
Thought I would take sketchers sandals in case it rains. Since I only need one shoe thought it would fit in a bag in my basket. Have the basket-might as well take advantage of it.

2 Likes

Nice to be able to take extra shoes when you only have one. I am sure you will do fine with a poncho. Most days I did not need a bag which helped get into the park quicker. I just threw a raincoat in the basket and filled up my pockets. Once I got in just emptied the pockets into the basket.

Hope you have a great trip. You will be surprised how much ground you can cover with the scooter.

I bought an upholstery cushion at Joann’s and trimmed it down. I found I liked it best when the extra pad was doubled on my shin, and just single thickness on my knee. Seems like most of my weight hits right on the knee, and it gets sore. So by doubling the shin part it spreads out some of the pressure.

I used a poncho and didn’t have any issues.

A couple of rides have stairs or other conditions that are unfriendly to wheels:

At MK: As you approach the stand-by lines at Space and Big Thunder just keep an eye on the cast member at the start of the line. They may direct you through the FP line, or they may issue you a return time. Also, at Splash they will divert you from the stand-by line just before it enters the building.

At Epcot: Spaceship earth will have you enter on the left side of the building (left if you are coming from the front entrance). Look for the wheelchair sign on the door.

At HS: Watch for the CM at Star Tours–they take you in a different way.

At AK: Kili safari will divert you to a special loading place towards the end of the stand-by line.

All the CM’s will be looking out for you, but it’s nice to know there will be some differences in how/where you load.

Also, this is the cup holder I installed. Seems like a small thing, but it’s so hard to hold a drink or whatever and try to ride. You could put a bottle of something in the basket, but it’s nice to have an option. Also it can double as a place to put your cell phone if you don’t want to mess with putting it in a pocket or bag.

I have noticed when I use my scooter that I have to wait for everyone else to catch up.

I am copying your list about the rides. Good info. I have a wide mouth bottle I was going to throw into my basket and pour my drinks into that. Thinking about it that may not work so well at a counter service window. I can steer with one hand and carry a tray with the other, but balancing a drink on the tray may be beyond my talents.

I can’t believe how different the planning is for this trip. I appreciate all of this information.

1 Like

ahhhhggggg I got turned around. It’s the RIGHT side of Spaceship Earth. I’m so sorry. I’m a dentist, and I’m used to mirroring people with the right/left thing, and all our software is set up to mirror…and I often get it mixed up when I’m not in front of patients. I’m sorry!

1 Like

I also though the counter service would be an issue. If you ask as you pickup your food a cast member will help bring it to a table.

To add to the list off the top of my head:
Dino- there is an elevator you will be directed to
Frozen sing along, Beauty and beast show, FOTLK, all have a separate entrance and will sit you right up front which is awesome.
LWTL sends you thru the FP line so you don’t need one. Also you will not need one for SE.
POTC you bring it to the boat and it is waiting for you where you get off, then you take an elevator up
Pretty much most places that you can transfer onto a ride vehicle you can take it right up to it.

1 Like

Everything is set and ready to go. Leave on Monday. My husband is taking me to the airport. He thinks I’m crazy, but I am looking forward to having something to do, the challenge and of course DISNEY!!

11 Likes

Have a great trip!!

Have a great trip, I am sure you will do fine. I know that feeling of looking forward to having something to do. I took 4 Disney trips with my scooter this year.

1 Like

Thanks for the well wishes. I’ll report how it went when I get back.

3 Likes

I recently flew with a broken leg. I was non-weight bearing, and had a knee scooter as well. I went through security on it, and told the gate agent I’d need assistance boarding (I also indicated this at checkin online). I collapsed my scooter once I was seated near the gate, and gate checked it via the agent. They boarded me first via this chair thing that’s made to go down the aisle, and then I scooted into my seat. When I was getting ready to deplane, I asked the flight attendant to bring me my scooter from gate check and I rebuilt it to deplane once most of the passengers were off (it was easier than waiting for the chair). It was actually a lot easier than I thought! Hope your trip goes well!

1 Like

I was wondering if I would need to collapse the handlebars or if it would be more secure with the handle bars in the upright position. I don’t want it damaged. I’m taking the basket off, that and the handlebars are all that condense. Did they bring the scooter all the way to your seat on the plane? I thought about trying to hop to my seat-I’m non weight bearing also- but those first few feet with out seats to hold onto are really my biggest concern of the trip. I thought about TSA cares that Randall1028 suggested, but I really only need the help on the plane itself. No matter what I will be checking in with the gate agent…

I don’t collapse my handlebars. I worry about them getting broken that way. And if it’s not collapsed I think it’s easier to carry up and down the stairs… because it’s not so floppy and wonky.

I think unless they tell me I have to, I am not going to collapse mine. Same with Magical Express.

Can’t wait to hear about your trip!

I collapsed it by lowering the handle bars as far down as I could, then lowering it over the knee pad area, which I had undone and put in upside down so the handlebars could go down lower. I then wrapped it up with a few bungee cords to keep it all secure. It stayed in place with no damage done in flight! I recommend the bungee cords - I know it wouldn’t have stayed together nearly as well without them. They did bring it to me to deplane when I asked. I wouldn’t have been able to get on the plane with it, but using it to get off was easy

1 Like

Thanks my heart stopped for a extra beat or two.

4 Likes

Just back. Had a wonderful trip. I stressed for no reason. Everyone was wonderful–or rather 96% were. I’ll do a quick summary shortly.

4 Likes