WDW vs Universal : the showdown

So, I got into a very good, lightly heated discussion with some friends over the holidays. They were pretty strongly telling me that Universal was better than WDW !!! Of course, I firmly defended WDW’s honor. However, I have never been to Universal so my entire argumentation was pretty weak LOL :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My friends told me that the rides and theming was MUCH better at Universal. I just can’t believe that from only these 2 people’s opinion.

Anyone wants to start the debate ? :wink:

I love Universal, in fact we do prefer it to WDW because the rides are more thrilling. The Harry Potter areas are amazingly well themed, I’d say better than WDW, and the different areas of Universal Studios are pretty well themed. Islands of Adventure isn’t that well themed. Disney is better at family rides, but having said that Seuss Landings at IOA has some decent rides and is pretty cute too. They get things built a lot quicker at Universal, but a lot of their rides use similar technology which can get repetitive.

3 Likes

Disney has the magic especially for littles and universal is a more grown up parc with more upto date rides and attractions … next time we go we would definitely do a split stay with a week in each parc … best of both worlds

2 Likes

I think I prefer the overall experience at Disney. I love that there are four parks and each of them are like visiting a new world. That being said, Universal has an interesting combo of well-themed attractions and lands, and low themed thrill rides (I am looking at you-Hulk). I have been so impressed by the team members, as well as the overall attention to the guests . I was able to attend a private Question and Answer session with the two heads of Halloween Horror Nights- just because I was a passholder - and it was free!!! Their deluxe resorts are beautiful with large rooms and great beds. The food can be reasonable and you can pool hop!

3 Likes

I am going to add: I am scared at how Galaxy’s Edge and the 50th will impact WDW. My 2020 plan is to only book my DVC for a base during Universal trips (can you say HHN XXX?)

3 Likes

Well, it depends upon which basis you judge “better”. As theming goes? Yes. Universal wins. Although, to be fair, Universal learned how to theme from Disney’s example, and then one-upped them. Disney then is doing the same in return.

As far as rides? Well, for families, Disney is the clear winner. Dr. Seuss is cute, but pales in comparison to Disney’s family-minded ride design where very FEW rides are not accessible by the youngin’s.

But as far as thrill rides, I think Universal has the clear lead there. Not that there aren’t great thrills as Disney, but someone looking for more die-hard, adrenaline pumping rides? Universal wins, hands down (or hands up, as the case may be!).

When it comes to magical experience? No debate. Disney. Take the Cast Member interactions, for example. At Universal, it is clear they are just employees doing a job. At Disney, you feel that they are just part of the experience, not merely facilitating the experience.

In the end, the “competition” between the two is kind of like the geek-induced debates (of which I’ve participated in aplenty!) as to Star Wars versus Star Trek, etc.

3 Likes

Your friends are half right. The theming is incredible at Universal. Disney seems to throw a bunch of rides and attractions into an area and tries to “theme” it afterwards (I know that’s not the case, but it appears that way with some rides being so out of place). Also, the rides are much more geared towards teens/adults at Universal and 75% of my family tends to enjoy these rides more.

Like everyone else said, the magic is at Disney though. Hard to describe.

3 Likes

I think both have their strengths and weaknesses! I do my best not to compare them because they are such different experiences to me. Universal is more chill… a nice break from all the planning craziness! However, Universal has less of that “in the bubble” feel that I love about Disney. But man, Universal rides are way more intense and exciting! and to me, the HP portions are the best themed lands in Orlando… hands down. I just always make a point to go to both when I go :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is absolutely true in regards to Universal.

2 Likes

Yeah. I mean, I’m glad Disney doesn’t do that. Ahem. Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion, Journey into Imagination with Figment, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Winnie the Pooh, The Seas…

But Disney does have unique things. Like It’s a Small World uses a boat. (And Pirates of the Caribbean. And Living with the Land. And The Three Caballeros. And Frozen Ever After. Woops.)

:wink:

2 Likes

You know exactly what I mean, don’t think you’re going to get a rise out of me!

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I assumed you meant: you sit in a seat and a screen moves along with you?

2 Likes

I have to say. I LOVE when you feel the heat from the fire on The Mummy. I absolutely love that attraction.

2 Likes

The Mummy is definitely one of my favorites. Great mixture of ride elements. I prefer it to the likes of Spider-Man and even Forbidden Journey, actually. (The queue line antics are a little hokey, though.)

2 Likes

That’s what I meant yes! I love The Mummy too.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why everyone says the themeing at Universal is better. To me, Universal isn’t terribly well themed compared to Disney, with the exception of everything Potter. You see a lot of the backstage areas, they don’t immerse you as much. Disney also has the magic factor, and the nighttime spectaculars, and the all-ages rides. It also has better non-ride experiences (Africa in AK, World Showcase, etc).

Universal has the thrills, some great attractioms, and probably the best themed amusement land in the world (at least until Galaxy’s Edge opens). Both great parks. I personally give the edge to Disney, but your mileage may vary.

3 Likes

Disney has an emotional draw that Universal doesn’t have. It’s every kid’s dream to go to Disney World.

The Disney bubble is hermetically sealed. Everyone stays in character all the time and you can’t see the real world from inside Disney World. (Mostly, actually.)

The non-tipped CMs are uniformly outstanding. I’ve never had a bad experience, including the ones who work the telephones. I’ve had a number of outstanding experiences. (The tipped staff are more hit and miss. I know I’ve banged this drum before, but some are complacent and some are too obviously just working for the tips, or even expect them to the point of not needing to make any effort at all.)

The Disney parades are better than the Universal ones. The fireworks are in a whole different category.

The thrill rides at Universal are better than the ones at Disney. The “mixed media” rides — Spider-Man, Kong — are mind-blowingly incredible. We have nothing like them in the UK, so far as I know. Disney has FOP, but that’s all they have in this league.

The theming at WWOHP, especially Diagon Alley, is exceptional. It’s better than anything at Disney.

The wider theming at Universal is patchy. USF is better than IOA. You can sometimes see the outside world. The team members (is that what they call them?) are not in the same class as the ones at WDW. They step out of character — unforgivably I was in Diagon Alley at close one night: I came out of the Leaky Cauldron and there was an almost aggressive line of security guards ushering people away. They were wearing modern dress. It totally ruined the magic. And Disney never tells you to leave like that.

I always thought I’d do both UOR and WDW every trip. At Christmas I only did WDW because it was a short trip (six nights) and it was Christmas and there was too much going on at WDW. But in general, UOR is a must-do for me.

I think it’s impossible to say one is better than the other. Each has strengths and weaknesses. But both are mostly incredible places to visit. Really wonderful.

4 Likes

I think that for some time WDW had been resting on its laurels and relying in its “magic”, which allowed Universal to catch up and surpass them in many ways. IMO Universal has been doing a lot more that would entice me to return than WDW has.

4 Likes

What? The nickel and diming, and price increases aren’t enoughnto entice you? Surely you just!

(Yeah, yeah…I know. Don’t call you Shirley.)

Oh, I think they are very well themed. Details in the queue lines are great and immersive. At IOA, for example, having the Toon land with comic strip bubbles as you walk by, the whimsy of Seuss land, etc. I don’t think it is just WWOHP, although that certainly raised the bar. I think Disney has been playing a bit of catch up.

2 Likes