WDW versus DLR, the epic battle!

I can’t separate trip from vacation. Every trip I take is a vacation!

2 Likes

I just meant that DLR can be done in a couple days but we always need at least 4-5 days for WDW.

1 Like

Most of the nearby hotels have options for bunk-beds, even if you may not necessarily want them. Obviously, the hotels were built around Disney a gazillion years ago (which is why Disney is SO land locked expansion wise). You do have to take care of where you book because of proximity to the parks walking vs driving. The parking structure is the same for DL,DCA,DTD. It runs smooth, but there can be traffic and a bit of a hike to get to the trams to get to Down Town Disney to walk to the parks.

We personally park it and forget it. Meaning we park at the hotel and x amount of days later we find the car again to go home. We do the same at WDW, but transportation options are vastly different.

Just because the parks are surrounded with a bunch of Motel/Hotels, doesn’t mean they are all the same walking distance. There are very few entry points to the compound and the “wrong” spot will cost you a 45 minute walk both ways or the headache of dealing with the parking structure/trams.

I, personally, recommend staying on Harbor Blvd or at/by the convention center for easiest walking access. Going further away will save you money for sure, but it’s up to you to decide the cost of your time.

I should also mention most of the hotels have shuttle options and there is an UBER/LYFT drop off relatively close to ticketing/gate area which is directly in the middle of the two parks! No T&TC for those Cali peeps. You buy the passes and walk right in.

There are also other theme parks/things to do in the area. Angel stadium and the Duck arena are close by, maybe a 10 minute drive, as is Knott’s Berry Farm (another cheaper theme park). Beach Blvd in Buena Park (by Knott’s) used to have a TON of museums and touristy things to do that weren’t solely focused on Disney, but not sure if that’s still the case. There are also a ton of hotels down that way too, you just lose the proximity to Disney.

2 Likes

Same.

We had four days at DLR and really needed the 5th and even two years later I’m kicking myself that we didn’t add that last day. My teenage sons lost the Disney magic, and my mom was getting tired. But my daughters and I should’ve went back for the 5th day.
Pixar pier was closed when we were there, it was before galaxies edge. But I also rode some things multiple times. So that ate up time.
My biggest regret is that we didn’t need Spiderman. It broke my heart not to do it for my 12-year-old daughter.

2 Likes

Honestly, we didn’t go to Disneyland as much as we went to Southern California and spent four days at Disneyland. We took three other days to do other things in the area.
Three days of 1/2 sights & 1/2 beach.

5 Likes

Last one (for now)!

Can we at least address the BUGS? And I don’t mean Bugsland that they bulldozed for MCU.

I LOVE that I can walk around DLR and not have bugs doing inappropriate things smacking me in the face as I try to eat my way around Epcot.

It was…awkward.

3 Likes

And my windshields…ugh. It took forever to get those clean again.

Yes, the weather and climate in Southern California is significantly more pleasant than Florida.

1 Like

I have to weigh in on 2 favorite attractions that have not been mentioned (but cannot be compared)

Favorite classic style dark ride: Alice in Wonderland :heart::heart::heart:

Favorite roller coaster: Expedition Everest

I would be interested in people’s comparison of Tarzan’s Treehouse to Swiss Family Robinson (have only done SFR sometime in the 80’s) and the 2 Tom Sawyer Islands.

3 Likes

They are both things I send my children up into as I sit down for a break…

They work equally as well.

4 Likes

:+1: That’s one of the main reasons I love DLR! I’m glad we’re still on the same page with that one.

Yes, @Wahoohokie was spot on when she told me that QS at DLR is way better. Her recommendation for Bengal BBQ may have been the best Disney dining tip I’ve received :laughing: I think I ate there at least 3 times in 3 days.

:joy: I’ve got 2 myself and we’ve been as a family to WDW several times. I’m beginning to wonder if the fact that I went solo to DLR had something to do with how much I enjoyed it!

Can I add that the other reason I thought DLR was pretty awesome was all the single rider queues. Since I was there solo, I got so much done in a short time. I think I rode SM 3-4 times in an hour on single rider, when the standby line was about 45 minutes.

4 Likes

RIP

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

oh right! Somehow, I didn’t think of the impact on single riders :man_facepalming: Add that to the list of things that got COVIDed.

2 Likes

Thank you for the fun thread today, all.
I needed this kind of conversation. :heart:

Off to bed.

9 Likes

And I thought I went to bed early! :joy: Sleep well!

2 Likes

Also, me too. Thanks for the fun. Sleep well.

1 Like

She looked familiar to me!

5 Likes

What about storytelling at the royal theater vs enchanted tales with belle??

To me and my kids we’d pick storytelling. We still laugh about the jokes they told and were in awe of the talent in the performers. My daughter was even the beast in ETWB and she would pick the DL version. Plus. If you wait around til the theater clears out you can meet the princesses. We were sure to catch both shows— even my 10 year old son loved it!!

5 Likes

DLR no longer has Tom Sawyer’s Island. It is now Pirate’s Lair. I’ll admit that I haven’t been to Tom Sawyer’s Island at MK (plan to do that in October), but I miss it at DLR. The new Pirate’s Lair is fine. It’s definitely spruced up from TS days. But I remember Tom Sawyer’s Island from my childhood so miss it. Pirate’s Lair has lots of trails and caves to walk down. Some are quite small, so beware if you’re an adult. Climbing stuff too. It’s a lot of fun and more to do than there was with Tom Sawyer. In every way it’s probably improved, but my nostalgia won’t let me love it more.

Tarzan’s Tree House is kind of the same for me. It’s a fun walk through that I try to do every time, but a piece of my heart always longs for Swiss Family Robinson. I loved seeing it a couple of weeks ago. Geez, it was two weeks ago today!!

2 Likes