WDW versus DLR, the epic battle!

I agree with a lot of the choices:
:white_check_mark: ToT in Florida over GotG. The movement from one shaft to another, the random up/down sequence. GotG brought the old ToT in Cali up to another level. It goes to show you that the music does make or break a ride.
:white_check_mark: PotC in DL is a better experience. The MK version was an afterthought where they did not have the space to do it justice.
:white_check_mark: HM in MK is better for me. As mentioned, the addition of the staircase is lacking in DL. Last time I did it without the theme-ing it felt … less than. The only time DL is better is with the Jack overlay.
:white_check_mark: Indiana Jones wins over Dinosaur. This is no contest for me. The queue of IJ is awe-inspiring. It is next level. I do recall watching a video that did a track layout comparison of the two rides; I wish I could remember the video location was a deep investigation (like a DSI) of all the details. It was like a good 30 minute review.

:white_check_mark: Soarin’ Over California wins for me over Soarin’ Around the World. It irks me that you have to be in the correct seating location to have an Eiffel Tower that looks straight. I can tolerate most of the added elements, but I can’t get past this one.
:white_check_mark: Fantasmic in DL is far better.
:white_check_mark: I guess you can make a comparison between TT and RSR…I don’t see them as the same thing. If you had to pick, then it really depends on if you are in love with cartoon cars are real world cars.
:white_check_mark: It’s A Small World. I love the facade at DL. The entry for the ride is beautiful. However, as other have mentioned, the blessing of size in FL makes the MK better for me.
:white_check_mark: Space Mountain. It is close, but I would give an edge to DL. The onboard audio versus passing speakers makes it better. I forget, but whichever one is a smoother ride (less jerky") wins for me.
:white_check_mark: BTMRR in DL wins for theme-ing. I like the story better.
:white_check_mark: The castle in WDW wins for me. It is like a little minni-me in DL.

Putting the attractions aside, there is nostalgia with Disneyland, but that is just not enough for me to choose DL over WDW. The burnden of high trave costs for me tips the scales to a location where I can do and see more.

• I need more than just two parks.
  • I need more of a variety in attractions.
  • I need my space…you cannot discount the added space makes the parks more enjoyable in FL. It is almost claustrophobic for me in DL. Also you turn a corner in DL and go…that does not belong there! It was shoe-horned into the park.
3 Likes

Oh man, this is soooooo tough.

Based on my experience eating at each, I would rate it this way:

• Ambiance: slight advantage to PotC / Bayou. I love the banjo music, the crickets, the fireflies, the dim lighting. It’s beautiful. BUT San Angel Inn is so close behind for many of the same reasons - the lighting, the music, the boats and water, and it has that vaulted night sky ceiling. It’s beautiful.
  • Food: slight advantage to San Angel. The Mexican food is pretty meh compared to what I can get in Phoenix, but I still prefer it to the overpriced filet and slimy lobster tail from BB. It was good, but closer to Red Lobster in quality than I would expect for such a fine establishment.

Overall edge: San Angel, for being an all-around positive experience. But BB is just so classic, everyone needs to eat there once. But riding through on PotC is a good enough substitute to the meal.

3 Likes

I really do miss DCA in it’s original form. (Aside from Cars Land, obviously, that addition was amazing)

I was lucky enough to be opening crew for Soarin’ and Grizzly when the park opened. And even though I had lived in SoCal my entire life up until that point, I was never bored with DCA as it was. It was great to see what others saw when they came in from out of state and quite honestly I was proud to show off “home”. Now I mostly see generic …stuff. Not really Disney, not really not Disney. It’s confusing.

1 Like

I won’t ride Soarin’ again unless a kid begs me to. The bent Eiffel Tower was the pits.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I agree with every point. Slight advantage to BB for ambiance, bigger advantage for San Angel for better food and a wider selection. I do love the entire area in the temple though…that is a hard one to compare.

1 Like

I think the theming at DCA is little more cohesive than, say, DHS. I love DHS. It is my favorite WDW park. But stuff is sort of slapped around in there.

What do you feel DLR is missing other than World Showcase?

And I loved hopping from park to park without losing time.

We spent four days at DLR and it should have been five. Granted, we did do things like GOTG five times, but we did leave without doing a few things AND Pixar Pier wasn’t open yet and WOC was dark.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree with ALL of this. I am so happy that they switched DLR’s ToT to GotG. I also love that I can still ride the better version of ToT at WDW. It is like visiting an old friend.

4 Likes

Pandora and a lot of AK in general? SDD? Are these omissions made up for by things like the Incredicoaster, extra dark rides, and Avengers Campus?

1 Like

Yes, GRR is the best! It is a much more refreshing experience - it feels like an outdoor adventure. Kali is kind of depressing. I wish it was more jungley, like Jungle Cruise.

RSR all the way. Test Track is lackluster, IMO. Fun, if it’s not broken down, but no magic.

The food at DLR is hit or miss, IMO, but these are my favorites:

Disneyland:

• Hungry Bear Restaurant
  • Docking Bay 7 was interesting / maybe try Ronto Roasters if it looks good to you
  • Mint Julep bar for beignets (counts for breakfast, right?!)
  • River Belle Terrace (TS) - loved the fried green tomatoes!

Downtown Disney:

• Black Tap (TS)
  • Ballast Point (TS)
  • Naples (TS)

DCA:

• Cocina Cucamonga at Pacific Wharf
  • Corn Dog Castle (or Little Red Wagon on Main Street)
  • Paradise Garden area - usually not crowded, there’s a pizza place and a Mediterranean grill
3 Likes

I think I felt DCA was being washed out lately. Instead of actually being a California Adventure celebrating the state in all her forms, it’s being turned in to a hodgepodge mash up of whatever fits. I think I see it as going in the direction if HS tbh.

Again, my personal thoughts.

1 Like

Pixar Pier was closed when we went, but there were so many other new things I didn’t mind not riding stuff we’d done before.

Dark rides like Toad, Snow White, Pinocchio. Actually Fantasyland is so fun. :heart:

And meeting Marvel characters was a dream for my family. We were exactly at the Marvel
Stage for my family. It was perfect timing.

2 Likes

I can see that!

I kinda feel like DL itself would be the equivalent for AK, minus the animals.

DL has the Matterhorn, Indie, Tom Sawyer and the Treehouse. Very much the same feels as my going to AK tbh.

Sorry, editing was horrible there.

2 Likes

How recently have you been to WDW?

There is the Tarzan Treehouse!

Us too! We just finished GotG Saturday night. Chugging along the entire series in chronological order, minus the TV series extras.

1 Like

Last summer. And we did just about everything possible attractions-wise, so yet to see GE, MMRR, but it seems like GE is pretty identical at both.

1 Like

We just rewatched them all in storytelling order through these last few months of pandemic.

But at the time of our Disneyland trip in 2018, my husband and sons had just recently introduced my daughters and I to Marvel, and we had watched a large crush of them before we went. The timing couldn’t have been better for that, and was completely by accident. (I just recently changed my thumbnail from the photo of me and Black Widow to Joy’s face.)

1 Like

I like to think of the differences in food at DL/WDW like this:
At WDW, theme is important. You will want to plan out your table service meals and make sure to have those reservations. QS is okay, some places quite good, but overall just okay. It is more about convenience.
At DL, theme is not as important when picking a table service restaurant, barring a few exceptions. Blue Bayou is fabulous for theming, and we really like Lamplight Lounge for theming as well. There is plenty of good/great TS food, but it may not have the theming you desire. As for QS, it is much better at DL in my experience. It has to be, as Harbor Blvd and offsite food is walking distance away. We eat mostly TS at WDW, and mostly QS at DL. You will not be disappointed in QS or TS at DL, and there are plenty of options for a 4 day stay without repeating (though you may want to repeat some after you see how good the food is).

6 Likes