WDW versus DLR, the epic battle!

Haunted Mansion and Winnie the Pooh were two rides that have differences but I couldn’t pick one over the other. I might pick HM at DLR just for the building, however.

2 Likes

Yes, yes, yes and yes!

2 Likes

This

4 Likes

Fantasmic at DLR WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY cooler than WDW.

I barely like F! at WDW and we watched it twice at DLR.

4 Likes

So far I’m getting the sense that for those who have been to both, DLR holds its own or tops WDW in a lot of areas. This is definitely encouraging me to consider going. What about food? Obviously there are wayyy more options at WDW overall, but in terms of quality, am I going to find enough good TS and QS options at DLR for 3-4 days without repeating any?

2 Likes

Ok. I heard again and again that DLR wasn’t as good for dining, but as far as QS goes, I had some fabulous meals. We did NOT do any TS, so hopefully you will get some great responses for that.
paging @Wahoohokie @lolabear_la @Ms.BarbsWildRide

And post 10 in this thread:

7 Likes

HM at DL is spectacular. And the theming of it in the area itself is a favorite of mine. I love feeling immersed in the idea of the area as I approach the attraction. That overlay is something I look forward to every year. And I can’t forget to mention the Hatbox Ghost. I’m going to miss that most as we focus more on WDW.

That being said, HM in MK is gorgeous as a stand alone building as, imo, it doesn’t fit in well with frontier feel of the island or the colonial buildings next to it. I do love the Escher-esque hall when first loading into the buggy. I also feel the lines for DL are a lot longer than MK, but again it might just be because I’m trying to see it during overlay.

Like you said, both have their amazing qualities.

2 Likes

brunch at https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disney-california-adventure/lamplight-lounge/?CMP=OKC-19013078_GM_DLR_dining_lamplightlounge_NA

1 Like

oh my… The Grand Californian has some of the best dinning… The Craftsman Grill’s burgers are yummo! https://disneyland.disney.go.com/hotels/grand-californian-hotel/dining/

@Jeff_AZ - I didn’t page you bc you were already here BTW

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick recommendations. They look pretty good. So in general, taking Epcot WS out of the equation, is there enough quality and variety to be had in the 2 DL parks for someone used to WDW?

QS, the warf is always a fun option at CA. We’ve taken the hit and cancelled a few reservations and just did the warf instead. For some unexplained reason, the clam chowder sourdough bowls are ALWAYS better at the exit of Pirates in DL, but he warf is a close second. No where in WDW have I personally found comparable clam chowder. In all honesty, it might just be childhood sentiment mixed in there mucking up my taste buds, but it is what it is.

To make this easier, here are my family’s favs when it comes to DLR

MUST DO (For my Goofy family) DINING!

Storytellers Cafe. My kid loves Chip and Dale and the food is reasonably good for buffet.

Breakfast at Flo’s in Car’s Land. Every single breakfast not at Storytellers is here. I’m obsessed with their breakfast tamale…not even sure why, just am.

I already mentioned the Warf and the chowder from the exit at Pirates, but I’m putting it in here because I’m saucy like that.

Snack time…pretzels and anything from the Cozy Cone. Great snackers like churros and pretzels and some amazing adult beverages.

The beer hut across from Boadwalk Pizza has some of those amazing stuffed pretzels everyone’s been craving.

The old Pizza Port (Now Alien Planet) is yummy for lunch or late night dinner.

Mint Julep bar for Mint Juleps

And we usually have dinner at either Wine Country Trattoria for yummy carb overload or Blue Bayou for mostly ambiance (and more of the mint juleps!).

Then we finish with Ghirardelli for hot chocolate (on those colder holiday nights).

We also take one meal and do Splittsville, only because it took SO LONG for Cali to get it and their sushi has no business being that good…AT A BOWLING ALLEY!

1 Like

I think so and there will be less walking required at DL too… so easier, quicker access to all the food :wink: My DH and I enjoyed so many good meals at DL, even room service was good at GC. Getting around is much easier at DL, everything in both parks and in Downtown Disney is just a quick walk. I forgot about DT… Tortilla Jo’s makes custom guac at your table. :yum:

2 Likes

We did
Galactic Grill for lunch - pretty much Cosmic Rays, but I love that yogurt was an option instead of fries (2018).
Hungry Bear for dinner.

Lunch AND dinner at French Market bc we saw more than one thing we wanted.

Flo’s for lunch (you can’t NOT eat there).
Smokejumpers Grill for dinner for the spiciest meal I’ve ever had in WDW :heart:

Pacific Wharf (different items for different family members) for lunch. My Mexican food was awesome.
Red Rose Taverne for dinner - and we wished we’d found this earlier.

2 Likes

I humbly disagree, but only long term.

My family just made the hard decision to stop going to DL and DCA all together. It is certainly worth checking out, but we personally run out of things to do. My 12 year old only goes to DCA for the tire swing at Trail and maybe Racers if we are able to get on. At DL he only does Splash and Autopia. After 4-ish days both him and my husband get bored. Where as we found two solid straight weeks at WDW a year is just right.

I “might” get my husband to do DL again after our son moves out…but that’d just be proximity over a need to be there. Instead we are looking to buy a place in Orlando to start staying a month at a time.

It is clear to me that I could travel with @qwerty6 to a Disney park anytime. I agree with her on everything. To add on, the QS at DLR is awesome. Seriously, you do not need to spring for TS, except for a special occasion or the amazingness of the character swarms at the Plaza.

I agree with what has been said about GOTG and TOT. They are each spectacular just as they are now. Plus what has been said about SM and Indiana Jones. That said, I am going to be buck a few trends here.

While the outside of the HM at DLR is beautiful, I fully love the look of the one at WDW, something about the architectural style sings to me and creeps me out at the same time. Additionally, the ride itself is better at WDW, the Escher stairs and lost of little details make WDW hands down better. I can’t remember all of the reasons why, but i was very disappointed the first time I road it at DLR (I have never seen the overlay).

Its a Small World. Undoubtedly the DL IASW is an original Walt creation. The outside is show stopping gorgeous. But I prefer the inside of IASW at WDW. I find the DLR version claustrophobic. The dolls are too close to you and I do not care for the IP. The WDW version has massive rooms and landscapes with so much going on everywhere your eyes can look. I like it way better.

Additionally:

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. These should be the same, but somehow they aren’t. I love the goat/dynamite story line with the DLR version and the inclusion of Yellowstonesque landscaping. It’s just more fun.

California River Run vs. Kali River Rapids. There is no competition. California River Run is a fun water ride through a beautiful themed landscape (that also reminds me of national parks). Kali River Rapids is, not.

Test Track vs. Radiator Springs Racers. Test Track is a fun ride. Radiator Springs Racers at night is an experience. The rock work is beautiful and the theme is great.

WDW is my home resort. My parents are from Florida, I grew up going there, and I live on the east coast. But I love DLR more. There is a spontaneity there that comes from visitors who are doing this over and over again, not marching through a once in a lifetime trip. The CA talent cannot be beat. I had to cancel my June trip where I was finally going to bring my family (I have always gone solo to DLR during West Coast work trips). I cannot wait for next April when we will get our make up trip.

7 Likes

While I just sang an ode to DLR, I don’t disagree with this either. Long term there is so much to do at WDW, with all the resorts and the different themed parks. My family tends to do short trips that are completely different from each other, which is why I have been able to keep them going back for more.

3 Likes

Small World note DL vs MK too…DL Small World will stop almost anybody in their tracks during the holidays. Breathtakingly gorgeous lights over every square inch. And a wait time of over 3 hours most nights. I have a picture of it but it’s on my downstairs computer.

I do agree on the differences of inside being better in MK though.

I will ALWAYS have a soft spot for any of “Walt’s attractions”.

1 Like

I feel like attraction to attraction comparisons come out pretty equitable. There is as much to do in the two DLR parks as in the four WDW parks. In either case, familiarity can add up.

I have six kids, so WDW always feels “fresh” to at least one of my kids who may have just aged up to a point. As for me, I don’t even want to sit through Nemo or Festival of Lion King again. But when we did DLR everything felt new.

I liked IASW at DLR because it had Disney characters IN the dioramas. They were fun to spot.

2 Likes

I got one…this is fun!

Blue Bayou vs. San Angel Inn!

1 Like