We may have our differences but nothing’s more important than family - a WDW/UOR trip August 2016

Only had a chance to read part of it so far, but am looking forward to the whole trip report.

2 Likes

Sorry, but I had to chuckle a little at your driving break down. You are correct that when one does not feel well, EVERYTHING is off!

3 Likes

EMH at Hollywood Studios 7th August

Unbelievably, we were on the bus to HS at 7am and got there in good time for EMH!

Our main aim today was to sign DS up for JTA. On our last trip, he was the biggest kid by a long way even though he was only 7 (he’s tall for his age) so we weren’t sure if he would do it again, but a couple of weeks before our trip he decided he definitely wanted to. We were about 15 families back at the tap stiles, but our line didn’t go anywhere! It was so annoying! Anyway, when we signed up we could have any show except the first one. We wanted 11.40 so that was fine with us. CMs were going up and down the line warning people that rain was forecast, but we had another HS morning so we knew if we were rained out we could try again.

Signups done, we headed to RnRC. Joe and I love this, Cass had never done it as he hates coasters. He wimped out last trip, but went for it this time. He had to transfer to a wheelchair and it was so hard pushing him! And I think it’s fair to say it wasn’t worth it as he hated it!

We had a bit of free time so we wandered across the park taking photos.

We got to Star Tours around 8.50. We discovered we could use the FP line then a ramp to the front of the line with the wheelchair so that was great! We rode twice, the second time we did have a FP though.

We then went to the Launch Bay. The boys loved looking around, and we did both the m&g. Chewie was sweet and funny, he stroked Cass’s stubble and his own beard! Cass admitted he needed a shave! Kylo Ren was really intimidating! He told Joe to stand close because he needed to keep an eye on him! When we left, I told him he was a scary man and he said “Excellent” really deadpan, it was funny!

We went from here to TSMM to use our FP. DH could stay in his ECV which was a relief! I’m not a massive fan of this, mainly because I’m rubbish, but we all had fun.

Now it was time for JTA! Joe wasn’t allowed to choose which line, he was told to sit at the back which we knew was the Seventh Sister, I was really annoyed. There were plenty of spaces left at the front. They seemed to be filling them equally, back then front, as kids came back. It made sense so that both lines had the same number, but as all the kids came back it was irritating. It was red hot and I felt sorry for the kids putting their robes on, sweat was pouring off them all and thus was before they got to the stage in the full sun! It was a different show than we’d seen last time, and we enjoyed it though it was a little long in the heat. Joe didn’t mind fighting the Seventh Sister and he was delighted with his badge.

We were starving at this point so we went to Backlot Express - I had chicken and waffles because it’s such an American thing, we would never have them together in the UK, like we’d never have bacon with our pancakes! But it was really good! I had a Darth Vader cupcake for dessert but was too full to eat anything but the icing. I didn’t really like it if I’m honest. The boys had BB8 cupcakes and weren’t impressed either.

The last thing we did was use our 3rd FP at TOT. It started pouring down as we got in line - it was another wheelchair ride :pensive: TOT is the only ride (except MS: Orange) that I’m a bit scared of - I’m not keen on freefall. But I do love it too!

After this we headed back to the hotel for a rest. At the bus stop I managed to get a FP for Space that evening!

16 Likes

I can laugh about it now!!

4 Likes

Yeah, I am sure it was not very humorous at the time!!! I would not appreciate my hubby yelling at me.

3 Likes

1900PF and Magic Kingdom evening 7th August

When we got back to the hotel, we all had a nap. I think it was the only day we actually did! I had set an alarm since we had an ADR at 1900PF and needed to get moving. When we woke up though, DH said he felt awful and wanted to stay in bed. Joe and I ended up going without him - we got the bus to MK and the monorail to GF. Rather than having my hair scraped back, I thought I would look nicer wearing it down and straightened - I was wrong! The humidity frizzed it before we’d even left POFQ so the pics are awful!

I always thought I’d like to stay at GF, but having been there I’m not sure I would, I found it a bit old fashioned and stuffy. I really enjoyed the meal though! Joe was horrified by the characters :joy: There were no step sisters that night, we had Suzy instead which was disappointing. Lady T was funny though. Joe told her he had 12 castles and she was fawning all over him inviting him to her next ball to meet her daughters!

After the meal, we got the monorail back to MK.

Our plans weren’t particularly ambitious - BTMRR X 2 because it was going down for refurb the next day, Space, and Wishes. With our FP for Space, we hoped we might get to ride that twice as well.

I thought the waits might be longer than expected for BTMRR in the circumstances, but they were actually shorter than the plan said - less than 20 minutes instead of 25+. I wish there was a photo! I’ve never been that impressed by it before but we really loved it and laughed our heads off the whole way!

We then headed to Space to ride without a FP, where the posted wait was 30 minutes - it was actually 50!! We got up to the top of the ramps where the second tapstile is, and then literally didn’t move for 15 minutes. They seemed to be running at half capacity and just letting FP on. Then when we got to the front, they managed to put me and Joe on different rockets. I was so annoyed!! He’s 11 (well he was, he’s 12 now) so it’s not the end of the world but what if he’d been 5? It was only 30 seconds or whatever until we were back together, but I was so ticked off I couldn’t enjoy the ride.

We still had a bit of time before our FP, so we had a little boogie with the Incredibles (I did, before Joe begged me to stop as he was mortified) and then we rode Buzz. Again the wait was longer than posted as they seemed to be just letting FP on. We had fun but we’re both absolutely rubbish at it! I don’t know how anyone gets 999,999. I usually score less than 5000 - and no, I haven’t missed a zero!

We went back for our FP and waited about 10 minutes, and they managed to get us on the same ride this time! I could hear Joe laughing the whole time and that made me laugh, I enjoyed it more this time round.

It was about 9.20 at this time, Wishes was at 10, but we were exhausted and just wanted to get back to the hotel, even though I’d scheduled a rest morning the next day. I just had to hope we’d see it later in the trip.

20 Likes

I am just catching up on this! What amazing pictures! Thank you for the report!

4 Likes

Pool morning/Hollywood Studios 8th August

We woke the next day about 8, had breakfast and headed to the pool. There were a few families there but we had no trouble getting sunbeds. DH settled down for a rest while DS and I got in the pool. I was worried he would be disappointed with the slide as it doesn’t look like much, but it was actually pretty zippy! And thinking about it, he’d never stayed in a hotel with a pool slide anyway! We probably spent about an hour there.

Then we headed back to Hollywood Studios

The plan was for us to eat at Starring Rolls as soon as we arrived, we definitely didn’t do that - I think we went straight to RnRC because we were cutting it fine with our FP window. Then we ended up eating at Min and Bills because Cass fancied a chilli cheese dog. It had started to rain while we were on RnRC, but we managed to find a dry table and benches. This was one of the worst meals I’ve ever had in my life! The hotdog was so salty it was inedible. And Joe managed to spill his milkshake all over his clean shorts. While we attempted to eat, we could see a bit of the Star Wars show (Galaxy Far Far Away) and Cass got grumpy that it wasn’t in the plan (it was in the plan for another day!!). Then MS issues struck once more, and we were actually in our FP grace period when we got to TOT - and it was pouring with rain again! We had no issues getting on though.

I wanted to see the 3.30 Frozen sing along, and it was just before 3. I sent the boys off to do SW things while I had a wander. I saw Chip and Dale and Goofy meeting, but the lines looked long, so I just walked around for a bit and then went to the show. I loved it! It was really funny. I sang along happily and teared up at the end when it snowed!!

I then met the boys, and we did Star Tours twice - once with a FP, once without. Joe was the rebel spy!! He was so excited, especially because we never thought we’d get picked since we had to sit in the first 3 seats of the first row every time because of the wheelchair. Then I managed to get TSMM as a 4th FP for later!

We had the H&V Fantasmic package booked, and we were seated straight away. We enjoyed the food and the character interaction. I also enjoyed the chocolate martini!

I’ve been with DH 23 years and never knew Goofy was his favourite until this meal!

Cass was feeling rubbish again, so he went back to POFQ after the meal. Joe and I went to the Great Movie Ride and he was given the red card to time the wait - it was posted 25, our plan said we’d wait 21. It was about 35. Too long!! Though I like to see Mary Poppins and The Wizard of Oz scenes.

Joe couldn’t believe the cheesiness!

It was 7.15 now and we went to use our TSMM FPs which I thought were for 7.05 but Mickey turned blue!! The CM told us they were actually for 7.30 - oops! - but waved us on anyway.

Joe beat me so he was happy, he is very competitive just like his parents!

We had time to fill so we rode Star Tours again - every other time so far we had exactly the same scenes, but this time we got a different one - Cass was jealous till he heard it was Jar Jar Binks :joy:

We began to head to F! now, but I could see Joe was wiped out and to be honest, so was I - my cold had gone to my chest and I was wheezing and coughing. Plus we wanted to be out by 7 next morning as we were going to Hard Rock Hotel for the night and could get early entry from 8am once we’d checked in. So we called it a night.

We asked about 20 people if they wanted our tickets from the dining package, but had no takers. When we got back, I noticed they were stamped to say valid 5 days from today, but I was fairly sure we wouldn’t make it back in that time, and we didn’t.

20 Likes

Really enjoying the report! It’s just making it harder to wait til November!:smile:

2 Likes

Sorry!

2 Likes

Honestly, everything even remotely Disney related makes it harder to wait! But I am enjoying living vicariously through great trip reports.

3 Likes

Great report!
Joe is such a cutie!
I’m so sorry about the health issues. That can be such a drag. Travel is exhausting in the best of circumstances, never mind when you’re not feeling well.

1 Like

Thank you! I think so but I am biased!

Yes the health issues were a PITA!

2 Likes

Also, thanks for all the great pics! This is great. I’m so happy that you were able to make the trip across the Pond!

1 Like

I’m hoping it’s not the last time! I will update more tonight.

3 Likes

Another great installment…and the photos are awesome…
I have to agree with Joe on the Great Movie Ride…:grinning:
Was laughing when you described your boogie with the Incredibles…mortifying children while in vacation is a very important parental responsibility…:sunglasses:
Again, looking forward to the next installment…Thanks!!

6 Likes

I agree!!

4 Likes

Enjoying a cup of coffee while catching up on your fab trip report! Well done, Clare!! :heart: Thanks for sharing all your pictures - your family is beautiful! Can’t wait to read more!!

3 Likes

Islands of Adventure/Universal Studios 9th August

After a mainly restful day for DH, I was sure he would be fine the next morning but he was in a lot of pain. 7am came and went, I told myself if we left at 7.30 we wouldn’t miss too much Early Entry time (onsite guests get into the Harry Potter areas an hour before park opening for the length of stay including check in/check out day). By 8am I was getting desperate. I took Joe for breakfast at the food court and hoped that without us there he could relax and get on top of his symptoms. When we got back, he told us to go without him. I told him we could wait, I knew he didn’t want to be left on his own for 36 hours. He would have just sat in the room even when he felt better, he might have refilled his mug but he wouldn’t have gone to the parks or even the pool without us. He kept pressing me, and then I had to admit that I was too scared to drive without him! I was thinking about giving up and getting a taxi when he said he was ok to go.

We eventually got to Hard Rock Hotel about 9.30, checked in and printed off our Express Passes. The hotel was amazing! Memorabilia everywhere!

We left our overnight bag at Bell Services and set off down the walking path to the parks. It took about 10 minutes (I believe HRH is the closest) but we could have got the water taxi or shuttle bus too. It was so pretty there!

At the end of the path, you had to go through metal detectors and then you were at City Walk. From there you come to US first, then IOA. So we got in the park not long after 10 - 2 hours later than planned :confused:

Our first stop was the newly opened Hulk ride.

Cass had never been brave enough to ride it before, but he was willing to give it a go, so we rented a locker (every other uses your fingerprint but you used your park ticket for these), popped him in a wheelchair, through the metal detectors and away we went. It was a very short wait with Ex Pass and we absolutely loved it!! So much smoother and faster than before, seriously not to be missed!!

Next we went to Spider-Man. They had run out of wheelchairs, so a TM took us through the gift shop and up the exit to the front of the line. Spider-Man is so much fun! A lot of Universal rides are similar technology but you can’t deny they do them well.

We wandered through Superhero Island, on to Toon Lagoon. We were taking frequent breaks for DH and I knew I was being a brat but I was getting really wound up that we had paid so much to stay onsite to get Express Pass and weren’t making the most of it! I refused to do the water rides because I really wasn’t in the mood. We took some pics and kept walking.

I barely glanced at Skull Island - Reign of Kong, just grimly marched past. Our plan had been to leave the park at 11.45 and go for lunch at the Cheesecake Factory, but that clearly wasn’t happening as it would be ridiculous when we’d hardly been there, so when we saw Thunder Falls Terrace we decided to have an early lunch. The food was really good, and a break in the a/c did us all good. I still wasn’t in the mood to get wet though, so we skipped Jurassic Park River Adventure, though we did get this pic.

And then we reached my spiritual home, Hogsmeade, and all was right with the world! I love it here so much!!

We went straight for Butterbeer at the Hogsheads, which had no line as always, though there was nowhere to sit as it was full of people eating at the Three Broomsticks, so we took them outside. Butterbeer is delicious!!

After that, Joe and I went to ride Dragon Challenge. There are 2 sides, Chinese Fireball (red) and Hungarian Horntail (blue). Joe hadn’t ridden before (he was too small for this and Hulk last trip) so we wanted to do both. Cass wouldn’t ride. We did blue first, as I don’t think it’s as good - though it’s very good! As we got to the front of the queue though, the ride stopped! It turned out someone had a Go Pro - there is a metal detector so I don’t know how he’d smuggled it on, but they spotted it as the ride set off and had to stop it. It took about 10 minutes but we got on in the end. Then we followed the pathway to re-ride and did red. These coasters are amazing! And there’s very rarely a long wait. I read today there are rumours a new attraction may be built here, that will make me very sad if it’s true!

Then we went to Forbidden Journey. You can’t use Express Pass here but we always single rider and practically walk on! You do miss the inside of the castle but I’ll take the trade for more rides. It’s so much fun! We stowed our stuff in the lockers and rode twice single rider, it took 20-30 minutes all told. When we came out, we found Cass (he’s not much of a ride person and he was struggling by this time). We left Hogsmeade. My plan had been to get the Hogwarts Express over to Universal Studios at this time but my heat addled reasoning was that we hadn’t seen enough at IOA, so we walked on.

We skipped the Sinbad show and Poseidon’s Fury, and walked into Seuss Landing which I love almost as much as Hogsmeade! It’s like being in a Dr Seuss book! It’s so cute! Joe was getting moody, so I suggested ice cream. He ended up getting a huge sundae, I didn’t think he’d eat it all but he did.

When he was just finishing up, we saw the Cat in the Hat meeting, so I had to dash over!

We did the Cat in the Hat ride, then carried on back to Hulk, which we rode another 2 times (Cass wimped out this time). Just awesome!! Then I nipped into a shop to pick up some T-shirts the boys had wanted earlier. While I was gone, Joe met Dr Doom.

It was after 3, so we walked back to HRH hoping our room would be ready (though they said it would be at 4).

It ended up being nearly 4.15, but when we got it, it was a lovely room with almost a pool view.

We loved the mirror - Joe is the same height as Pat Benetar and Dolly Parton, while I am as tall (or short!) as Debbie Harry, Cyndi Lauper, and Kelly Clarkson. So I’m in good company!

DH was being really grumpy with the pain, so I took Joe to the pool area, which was gorgeous! There was sand, there was a big slide (though it was a bit slow), there was a really good singer on at the bar… Loved it!! We spent about an hour there, and when I was lying in the sun I could have stayed forever! But we wanted to get back to the parks!

Cass was asleep and just woke up enough to tell us to go without him. So we got the water taxi back to CityWalk.

We went to CowFish for dinner - this was supposed to be the next night’s dinner but hey! What’s the point of plans if you can’t ignore them? Ha! The burgers were good, I had a “Cowfish has left the building” which had fried bananas, peanut butter and bacon, Joe had a Texas Longhorn, which was a bit more traditional with cheese, bacon and BBQ sauce. We were too full for dessert.

I suggested going into IOA to get the Hogwarts Express over to US, but Joe wanted to go straight there - he was desperate to ride Rip Ride Rocket! As we walked over we were studying the ‘secret’ sing list. The ride gives you a choice of songs to listen to as you hurtle round, but if you hold the logo for 10 seconds a number pad appears and you can pick something else. But while we were queuing it went down because of the weather. We waited about 5 minutes, then decided to give up. We didn’t want to wait for ages and it not come back up, when we could be doing other rides.

We rode Transformers - our first time. It’s essentially exactly the same ride as Spider-Man. I didn’t have a clue what was going on though! One robot looks the same as another to me! Then we did The Simpsons. I don’t know what happened here, the standby wait was 25 minutes, we had Ex Pass so should have waited maybe 10 minutes, but it was 30 minutes! There were lots of teenaged TMs wandering round looking confused, but nobody was getting on that ride! When we did, it was good fun. We made up for that long wait by walking straight on to Men in Black - I got a rubbish score as always! Then we went to the London Waterfront. It was gorgeous!
12 Grimmauld Place - with Kreacher peeking out the window!

Even the Knight Bus looked pretty!

Finally, we headed back to Rip Ride Rocket to try again, as the rain had stopped and it was running again. But it went down again just as we got there! It looked amazing though!

We walked back down the path. After a lovely evening, Joe turned into a brat from hell when I asked him to walk on the path not the grass. He had a massive paddy and I had one right back! When we got back to the room it was straight to bed before I killed the ungrateful little sod!!

19 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes