WDW stance on DVC rentals

Long story on the reason why and I can get into that on another day…but need to know Disneys stance on DVC owners renting points! We just returned from BLT and have a major issue to go through with guest claims for an issue with our room. Before I go down the road with them I need to know their official stance on DVC owners renting their points? Thanks in advance for any help!

DVC owners can rent points to anyone at any rate they chose. However the renters contract is then with the point owner not with WDW or DVC.

Your OP is somewhat vague, but if you were renting from an owner, and there was an issue with the room, then you might want to contact the owner first and explain the situation. If an actual owner issues a complaint, it will possibly get more traction. In fact the people we rented from specifically asked us to contact them first if there was a major issue (which there wasn’t).

I have to admit I’m more than a little intrigued as to what sort of “major issue” could have happened with your room.

Theft? Damage to the room?

I don’t think being a renter or an owner would have anything to do with it. If you had an issue with the room, I would think you just deal with their customer service and they would help resolve regardless of whether you rented points, own points, or booked directly through Disney.

In my opinion, everyone is a renter, just some have longer leases than others. Disney is the only “owner”. If you have a problem with the room in which has your name on the reservation, you deal with Disney yourself and at the time of incident. I rent from “owners” and had no problems talking to management while I was at the resort. You are a guest and that’s how Disney treats you, not as a “renter” or some second class citizen.

1 Like

I’m a little curios at what happen also because we are renting points and staying at Bay Lake Tower later this year.

Yes, inquiring minds want to know what the issue was!

Long and short we found mold in one of the bedrooms. We are now trying to determine if that is the cause of my sons sickness while we were in the world.

This is not true. The purchase contract specifically precludes any commercial activity with one’s points, and specifically mentions renting them out. This is repeated in the annual package each owner gets, and in multiple places in the DVC website. Penalties can include loss of ownership interest.

Disney never seems to enforce this, but it is very much an operative deed restriction.

Again, not true. I have a deed for a fractional interest in a condominium recorded in my name. It is real property, the same as any other Florida condominium. It has a covenant that says that ownership terminates at a specific date, and restrictions on how I can use and dispose of that real property, but, again, that’s not unique.

So, to the original point, you are still a guest of the property, and DVC is responsible for maintenance issues on behalf of the owners. You could pursue a claim with them directly. An owner can make reservations, just not for payment, for others, and that owner wouldn’t be liable for damage or injury to the guest. The guest doesn’t forgo any basic safety rights in that instance.

Legal advice worth what you paid for it.

So according to your contract, when does your fractional interest property ownership expire? What do you get in return when it expires? Can you sell it, once it expires? Of course not, because you will no longer “own” it. No matter how you slice it, it’s still a long term lease. Nothing wrong with that, I am sure you get great pleasure out of it and it is worth your money, but it is what it is. Disney is great at marketing to make people feel that they “own” a part of Disney, this is all a great strategy and it works. The stockholders love it.

Play all the semantics games you want. The Orange County Clerk of Courts has a deed with my name on it. I pay real property taxes on it. Any number of parties can place a lein on it. The IRS considers it bona fide real property and allows me to deduct those property taxes. I can use it as collateral. I can be deprived of it through economic judgement.

If you can accomplish any of those things with leased property, then congratulations on your appointment as the next Supreme Court Justice.