WDW slightly relaxes face mask policy to allow removal while taking photos

I am the water.

No cross-thread posting, Mister!

4 Likes

Iā€™ll admit that when I was at Disneyland for Touch of Disney on Thursday night, we stopped by the Main Gate of Disneyland (which was closed) and took a selfie in front of the Mickey face flower garden with our masks down. There were literally zero people around due to it being later in the evening, so there was no risk to anyone. I think situations like that warrant a change in the rules to accommodate. Most outdoor stationary photos are distanced.

3 Likes

It makes sense that theyā€™re doing this to me, but I worry itā€™ll just make enforcement the rest of the time more of an issue for the CMs.

6 Likes

This tells me that Disney is following the science that, when properly distanced and outside, you donā€™t have to have everyone in a mask 24/7. As more and more people are vaccinated, the odds of COVID spreading becomes lower and lower. The main reason vaccinated people are asked to continue wearing a mask is just for the peace of mind of everyone else. It is this peace of mind that Disney is interested in, which is why they are still making sure everyone is masked while not dining. At some point, this wonā€™t outweigh the discomfort of having everyone in a mask when they are immune to the virus.

6 Likes

Iā€™m glad theyā€™ve made this change. Outdoor photos are just about the safest most distanced thing at WDW and a huge part missing from peopleā€™s vacations right now. That makes me so much more excited about going this fall. I can handle the masks (and Iā€™m pro mask) but for photos itā€™s a big bummer.

That said, all the adults in our group will be fully vaccinated and DSnotquite2 wonā€™t be wearing one either way so we wonā€™t be as concerned about compliance either way.

4 Likes

100% full half with water, half with air

3 Likes

Iā€™m more ā€œI need more tequila over here!!!ā€ with a dash of "ā€œWho drank my Vodka?!ā€ on off days.

3 Likes

Fair enough.
Travois it is.

2 Likes

Hmm, This is interesting and Iā€™m sure its going to be abused. Iā€™d feel more comfortable if it were only when getting a photopass shotā€¦ that way it can be controlled a bit more (and maybe a good way for Disney to recoup photopass losses?)

3 Likes

People were already ignoring the mask rule for photos anyway. Even trip reports here had several ā€œno maskā€ park photos.

Hopefully this is helping the CMs. I bet the ones who are constantly policing in front of the Tree of Life can finally breathe a sigh of relief.

9 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed this too recently. I witnessed a group taking selfies and a HS-CM SCREAMING at them to put their masks back onā€¦ hahahaha

3 Likes

This is easy for me. I have NO PLANS on returning to WDW until masks are no longer required. I have nothing against wearing masks; I wear one any time I go to a store. But I have respiratory issues that make mask wearing very difficult; after one hour of grocery shopping I have to sit in my car for 5 minutes to recover before I drive home.

8 Likes

Reasons why you still need to wear a mask after being vaccinated (and the list does not include ā€œthe peace of mind for everyone elseā€):

4 Likes

Disney : we are relaxing photo face mask wearingā€
My DD7:

By tomorrow that second front tooth will be out too :woman_facepalming:

7 Likes

Adorable with or without teeth!

2 Likes