WDW’s new dog policy

I’ll chime in here because I’ve been thinking about it. I am staying at AoA in Dec and thought about bringing my dog when the policy came out. He’s already booked at the kennel on property, so I was going to cancel that. My dog is super chill, friendly, never barks, and doesn’t chew things up. Honestly, if it wasn’t for the RIDICULOUS price ($50 per night at AoA) I’d keep him with me. All of that said, I’d be super irritated if there was a dog nextdoor that barked incessantly.

To the question about why people bring their dogs…
I hate making my dog stay in a kennel. He hates it. He likes people and he doesn’t like to be around a bunch of other dogs. Second, we’re military, so we don’t have family or lots of friends we could ask to keep him. Especially this trip, my husband is deployed and we just moved to our current base so we don’t know anyone. The kennel is also expensive. So, if the pet fee was cheaper than the kennel, I’d prefer to keep him with me.

5 Likes

Wow, really? Yes, I totally implied we should kill all dogs because they’re wild and dangerous :unamused: Please reread what I wrote.

Yes. WDW should be banning dogs unless they’re service animals. It’s a vacation destination and no one has a “right” to bring their animals with them. I understand you feel your dog is above average, and that’s great, but anecdotal evidence is not something you can base a policy on. Especially when that policy can infringe on others’ good time. “My dog is great and behaved, so all dogs must great and behaved!” Sorry, it doesn’t work like that.

The statistical fact is dogs bite and there’s crowds at WDW, even in the hotels. This cannot be disputed. And combining these things is asking for trouble unless the dog is specifically trained to handle such environments and situations(read: service dogs). Because in the end, who’s going to get blamed and possibly euthanized if something bad happens? The owner or the dog? (hint: it’ll be the dog.)

1 Like

I must admit I don’t like this idea, for various reasons. I’m not comfortable around dogs, and my son is scared of them. However we can easily avoid the dog-friendly resorts and no big deal there.

However I am interested to see how it goes. For instance a dog can only be left for 7 hours, so commando style touring is out. If you leave for EMH you would need to be back by lunchtime. The dogs aren’t going to be allowed to be out and about much, so not a lot of fun. You can’t just take him to the grounds of POR and let him run around, you’d have to go to a nearby park somewhere off property. And they say if your dog is barking you will be expected to get back in 30 minutes. Imagine being in the FoP fastpass line and you get that call. Are people prepared to leave the line and go? If not, it’s likely you will be asked to find a kennel and leave your dog there, that’s what is implied.

So all in all, I think the numbers will be fairly small. People I know who have dogs take them out for hour walks twice a day. There’s nowhere onsite to do that, so the poor dogs will be cooped up inside most of the time.

Never mind the possible problems, it just doesn’t seem fair to me - from the dog’s POV.

4 Likes

Actually the article I mentioned earlier said that Disney had not considered at all the need for pets to be in a certain building or certain rooms, at least at POR. They have been amazed by the number of requests not to be near a dog area, and have now decided that if possible, only building 24 will be used. But people don’t have to pre book their dogs, so if someone turns up with one and that building is full, the dog won’t be turned away, they will use another building.

As to your other point, no other pet is really like a dog in their sociability, and the way they become part of your family. I say that as someone who doesn’t even like dogs! But a cat is independent, and I can’t imagine a snake is that fussed for human company for example. But your dog misses you when you’re gone.

1 Like

It’s possible I over-reacted. I apologise. I’m having a bad day. The burger joint I ordered my lunch from ran out of Oreo cheesecake right after I’d ordered it. Not happy.

There are a number of issues here.

Should dogs be allowed in WDW?
No. It’s crowded enough as it is. And what’s the dog going to do while you’re waiting in line, or actually on a ride? Crazy. Maybe in World Showcase.

Should dogs be allowed in WDW hotels?
I think we haven’t all been clear about what we imagine the policy to be. I’m certainly not advocating leaving a dog alone in the room while I’m in the parks having a great time. And I can’t imagine Disney is going to allow that. I am suggesting that it’s OK to have a dog in the room if you’re in the room at the same time, and if the dog is well-behaved. If it’s starts barking like nuts and won’t stop, you may have to accept that you’ll be asked to leave.

Would I take my dog to a WDW hotel?
No. I don’t think it solves the problem. I don’t like being away from my dog because he doesn’t like being away from me. As I said, if he were allowed in the hotel, we’d still get to sleep together, but he’d still be in an alien environment during the day at doggy daycare.

Why am I getting all wound up?
I sometimes get the impression that people think that all dogs are poorly behaved and a menace to peace-loving people. My dog is seven and he and I have spent many nights in many hotels together and all without incident. There are upscale hotels that allow dogs and have done for years and they wouldn’t do so if they’d had bad experiences. Further, human beings are arguably much more of a nuisance in hotels than dogs are. They make noise, they make mess.

Why do people go on vacation with their dogs but not with their lizards?
Because people form emotional bonds with dogs that they don’t with other animals. Many dog owners consider their dogs a member of their family. I literally love my dog. I don’t mean love as in “I love Oreo cheesecake”, I mean love as in “I love my child”. When I first got him I looked into finding kennels for him to stay in when I went away. I literally cried when I saw the photos online. They are noisy, breeze-block prison cells. Without any explanation, the dog is taken from his warm, comfortable home, where he’s with his family, and put into a small cell, away from his family. I imagine most dogs must hate it. I know mine would. I could never do that to him. My relationship with him is arguably the most important in my life. I work from home, he and I are with each other literally 24/7. That didn’t stop me coming to WDW — he stayed in his own home and friends of mine moved in to look after him.

2 Likes

Disney is going to allow that. Your dog can be left for 7 hours, and a tag must be hung on the door so that mousekeeping know not to go in (they will only go in if one of the human guests is there with the dog).

First, @profmatt I wish my dog behaved as well as yours. Mine is a rescue and just like you is one of my kids (and I have 3 human kids-my hubby doesn’t count​:wink:). I work at home and he’s by my side always. But he also very nervous when we leave and on our daily walks he’s ok as long as we don’t encounter another dog. He’s not aggressive he just barks and barks bc he want to “meet” the dog. People he usually ignores. So am I bad dog owner for my ill-behaved pup? Well guilty as charged if based on his behaviour. Any training tips I’m open to. :wink:

But I love him and although wanted to vacation with him bc I didn’t want to leave him in a boarding kennel and don’t always have family to rely on to for care him I didn’t want him stressed out and lonely in a hotel while we were out having fun all day.

As for why we dogs owners want to bring them everywhere- dogs are pack animals. Unlike reptiles, fish, cats, etc they attach to their people just like their pack. And people attach to their dogs- go figure we get a dog and get attached. I know so weird :smirk:

1 Like

This is obviously such an emotionally-charged issue, but I heartily agree that our dogs are our children, literally. My dog was the sweetest beagle in the world, but frankly, I would never want her with me at WDW. My husband and I took our human toddlers to Disneyland long ago (and many times later as they grew older), and I now look forward to WDW soon without young children (or pets) to take care of. So, my question is, if this has already been allowed for some time at Portofino Bay in Universal, is it working out? That is a pretty pricey place to stay, so have there been problems? If not, then WDW should model its practices after whatever is already working…

1 Like

OK, so these sentiments are exactly what made me question my own. I love my dog. The ONLY reason we don’t travel with him - even to Disney - is because it would be such a burden to him. Side note: he was also a rescue dog so not sure of his age, low estimate of 12 years. If he was still the dog we dragged across country and continent, he would go to Disney and we would stay off-site (NOT gonna pay $75 - or even $50 - per night).

I know how I feel about my Ru-Dog (his nickname). I love him so very much and even though my parents - who he spends time with every day - stays with him while we’re gone, he still goes through depression. But we only got him in the first place to love him and be loved. Why else would any one choose a pet? So I brought up the question initially because I’m asking myself if I assume I am more attached to my dog than a reptile lover can be to his lizard. Honesty, I feel a little ashamed of myself for thinking I love my pet more than some one who prefers a different animal. Am I truly hypocritical or just too philosophical? I guess I was just hoping to find some justification for my own thoughts.

Wow. I really am a weirdo.

PS. @profmatt - I saw the picture of your pup on another thread. Love, love, love! :heart:

2 Likes

Couple things I wanted to add.

I am against any and all pets (not service animals) at resorts.

I am admittedly not a dog fan. They invade your personal space. All of them, in one way or another. I’ve never had a malicious situation happen to me, but I’ve been made uncomfortable many times.

I am a cat lover. I have no children, and my cats are my babies. But I am well aware there are many people who detest them, and everything in between.

I think pets are just that. They are not a necessity and even with as strongly as I will miss my angels on my 2 weeks at WDW coming up this month, it is not appropriate for me or anyone else to bring their pets with them. That is my opinion.

The reason that dog owners alone seem to be the pet owners so adamant about bringing their pets with them (and not cat owners for example) wherever they go is because they are extremely high maintenance. There may be exceptions and service dogs are included in that, but they require tending to numerous times throughout the day and when a human is used to having that interaction for years and they suddenly go away for a week and don’t have it, their relationship/routine is broken.

But that is part of being a dog owner. It should not mean that everyone else (dog owner/lover or not) should be expected to accept that dogs can go any and everywhere with their owners (supermarket, mall, and WDW).

ETA: which is why I am against the new pet policy. Most of those who I have read give their opinions online about why they would want to take their dogs with them have to do with the well-being of the dog and themselves, while those against are stating their reasons are for the good of themselves and their families. And the good and well-being of an animal should NEVER EVER EVER EVER be taken over and above the well-being of a human. I am in the camp that thinks they should add a separate pet-friendly resort and stop the argument once and for all. Makes everyone happy.

4 Likes

I am also concerned as my DD and DH both have pet allergies and I am already booked into AoA for Feb. We generally keep their prescribed medication with us in case of emergencies such as encountering service dogs in enclosed environments or now pets on planes (don’t get me started), but these make them both very tired and not really what you want at Disney. While I respect that people want to treat their pets as children, people might not like rowdy kids, but they usually will not have a medical emergency when encountering them. We had already ruled out areas of Disney with close animal contact in enclosed spaces but now if they will be allowing pets in the rooms, I think we will just forgo the whole Disney experience. It is not worth it to have to constantly medicate and worry about if a dog was in the room prior to us and will my DD or DH have an emergency because a member of the cleaning staff didn’t discard the pillow the dog was sleeping on.

2 Likes

Owner of 3 fuzzy cats 1 sweet dog and wholeheartedly agree with all you stated!

I would never want to subject a person who has anxiety, allergies or just doesn’t like animals to my babies. I love them but I am fully aware not everyone does or maybe have issues with them.

I also don’t take my animals everywhere with me. I am a responsible owner and know for their sake and the sake of others they are better at home. On vacations I either choose to save the money to have someone care for them or as I have done the last 18 years I choose not to go. No one should have to worry about allergies or anxiety attacks when they have also spent their hard-earned money going to a resort and the happiest place on earth. And other than service animals I just don’t feel Disney World is the place.

1 Like

I really hope you understood I was being sarcastic about being weird- obviously I am the weirdo with a snarky humor. So sorry if you thought I was coming at you in the post.

I am just like you and don’t travel with my animals knowing full well they will be depressed when I leave and we will all miss them. But it’s for the best and I know they will be fine and we all rejoice with hugs and kisses when we come back.

As far as your question about loving reptiles or mammals or aliens or whatever as pets (again being sarcastic) I’m sure I’m biased for loving my dog and cats more than I love our fish and aquatic frogs. I had a bird as child I totally adored and thought of as my own child- does that count for something? I again was not saying those who have animals of different species will not want to take their pets with them wherever they go I was overgeneralizing about dogs because that’s what the topic was about.

I definitely don’t think dogs, other than service dogs, should be allowed for the sake of other guests who don’t appreciate my pets as much as I do. I think that’s fair and I respect those people. I want them to have a good time too. Obviously it’s not just my vacation.

Again, sorry if my posts were misinterpreted. I have a sarcastic sense of humor AND Dyslexia so that’s why I don’t post much. Want to make sure I don’t hurt anyone or come off wrong.

1 Like

I have a dog and three cats. My entire family agrees dogs are more maintenance!

I’m so sorry you are having to worry about this. Maybe you can switch to another resort like Pop? Or put in a medical request of NO room with animal dander due to life threatening allergies. I’m sure Disney would accommodate you at another resort so you don’t have issues.

No, no, no. I wasn’t offended at all. I just truly think my mind takes me to “weirdo” places. I am a full on, anything goes, “live and let live” kinda girl so if I find myself in a situation where I feel MY preferences deserve more consideration than some one else’s, I begin to question my entire life mantra. So yeah, I really am a weirdo! But thank you for clarifying! :smile:

1 Like

Two words on the price

SUPPLY
DEMAND

My office is dog friendly and even though we don’t have a dog ( I don’t want the responsibility) - I LOVE that we have a dog friendly office - it is wonderful.

I can see there being costs that people aren’t thinking of. Additional cleaning, better filters and welcome to America - LIABILITY!!!

Plus you NEVER know what you are going to get - they will probably - as other hotels have done - make a whole area pet friendly to keep it away from people who do not want to be near dogs etc. They will probably eventually add additional features etc. Plus POOP Patrol will be an added cost.

So you will pay $75 for Doggie Daycare - seems reasonable to me.

2 Likes

People people please Disney has allowed dogs for years, But it was at camp sites and it had to have ac. I asked in September if they had pet friendly rooms and was told NO for our trip in June 2018, except at the camp sites. They told me about the kennel on property, so that is what we planed to do. Now universal and sea world have FREE kennels but you are asked to walk your dogs every so often. They need to section off the hotels keep the pets in certain areas and when the owners go to the park the dogs should go to a kennel out side the park this way the owners don’t have to lose hours going back and forth. I have very bad allergies to fur (that’s why my dog has hair), we stay at LaQuinta all the time because of the FREE pet policy. I have never been in a room that smelled of dog or had fur left in it. If it did I would just about stop breathing, So with that said if LQ can do it for $50-$100 a night i’m sure the money we spend at Disney they can do it too.

So… U r saying dogs can and will snap and it’s in their nature… but service dogs r ok… I get what u r saying but that in it of itself is contradicting… service dogs r made up of the same genetic makeup of any other dog… the difference is in their training… u can’t say all dogs will snap… Thats not true

I find all this slightly comical for the fact that I have no children and my dogs are my children and they are more well behaved than most children. My least favorite part about Disney is some of the terribly behaved children… yes yes I’m a terrible person and Disney is for children blablabla but some kids really could use a lesson in manners. And I can remember one stay where there might as well have been a dog in the room next to us because u would have thought the family in that room was ripping it apart…

It’s funny cause while I wouldn’t bring my dogs more for the reason of not wanting them locked in a room all day, I am undstanding of people that do because there might b a reason they r bringing them. A coworker is going to Disney at the beginning of November and they are bringing their dog because they r going on a 1 month trip to Florida because her husband has stage 4 lung cancer and he loves Florida and wants to pass there… they are going to go to Disney for a couple days and will have their dog because he did not want to leave him home and wants to be with his dog when he passes so… u know what… I respect that and am ok with that.

4 Likes